Which BGU courses have meant the most to you?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The main thing that led me to Griff was his focus on soloing.

I already knew basic theory and played for 50 years before I found someone who could finally explain "boxes" to me.

Long story.

So my favorite courses should come as no surprise.

I'm curious to hear from others.

1) Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery - The Boxes

2) Slow Blues Supplement/Major Minor Blues Shapes - Playing Boxes From Their Root Notes; similar content mixing Major and minor boxes

3) Blues Speed Building Blocks - common moves in minor pentatonic Box 1 with forays into adjacent boxes 2 & 5

4) Modes Unleashed - Modes as boxes

5) Modern Blues - venturing outside the box

And as you might expect, I can't live without Guitar Theory Made Useful (And Easy) - self explanitory?

Last edited:

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I learned the pentatonic minor scales (boxes) but BGU actually told me how to apply what I already knew. I already knew chords from playing back in the day.

So I will say BGU and BGU 2

My second is blues solos from the masters

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I've never finished a course in my life, so I don't have a favourite as such. I just dip in and out of courses as required, which is probably why I'm making such slow progress.:rolleyes: I think the Slow Blues Supplement was the last one I had a go at, and I have to admit to enjoying it at the time, so thanks for the kick in the butt Paleo, I'll get straight back to it.:)

RobertYoung186

Blues Student/enthusiast
How to Jam Alone on your Guitar. This course helped me do exactly what the title implies. I can sit there and play 12 bars with a mixture of rhythm bars and licks thrown in. It actually sounds like something! I especially like blues in E using the open strings.

Last edited:

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
1) Soloing Without Scales and into Major/Minor Blues Shapes
2) Rhythm Figures for Blues Lead Guitar with Ultimate Counting Workshop done first.
3) Rhythm Fills and Variations
4) How To Jam the Blues Alone

Elio

Student Of The Blues
1. Beginning Blues Guitar got me back into playing after many, many years and was instrumental (see what I did there?) in bringing back some skills and refreshing my knowledge.
2. BGU (although it took me almost 2 years to get through)
3. Guitar Theory Made Useful
4. How to Improvise Blues Solos
5. All the other various assorted ones - 5 Easy Blues Songs, Solos, etc.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
In no particular order:

Strumming and Rhythm Mastery
BGU
Slow Blues Supplement
Soloing Without Scales
Little Wing

Elwood

Blues
I came across Griff's teaching a while back. I bought the original BGU course back then. Then I got ABGU. Griff's teaching style works for me, he keeps it interesting and explains things if you are needing explanation. I had sent some time playing electric bass and I knew enough theory to spell it right most of the time, but, aside from some basic chords I was totally befuddled by those two skinny strings on a guitar. When I tried to play something like a lead phrase things were pretty good as long as I didn't use that B or E string. That B being tuned funny just gave me fits!
So, you could say that I was/am trying to learn how to play a little guitar.
Like @Many Moons and many other here I am better at buying courses than completing them. These courses have changed my playing, ability to play, and helped me to find out more of what I personally enjoy - being able to just sit and play the guitar.

So I guess my favorite courses would be:
BGU
ABGU
Major Minor Blues Scales
How to jam the blues alone
5 Easy Acoustic Blues Songs

RobertYoung186

Blues Student/enthusiast
The only course I actually completed was BGU. I went through each lesson and moved on to the next, maybe one a day. At the end I looked back and realized I hadn’t retained much of anything. Now I go much slower and some repeat a lesson several times. I really like the “Five Easy…..” courses because Griff encourages you to pick a song you would like to learn in no particular order. You can learn a song and feel like you have finished something!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
BGU
ABGU

Let me add that I took the Gibson Learn and Master courses for electric blues guitar and acoustic blues guitar, as did my friend Jalapeño. I would give the Gibson offerings a 1 (being nice) and Griff's courses a 10! :cool::love:

Tom

Last edited:

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Can't identify any one particular course. So far all that I have examined, completed a few lessons, and a few examples have been very helpful. I began the string instrument playing journey in mid '50s. It has been an on again off again affair. So any theory or technique oriented course would have to be at or near the top of my list.