Where ya at with these lessons?

vashondan

Blues Doobie
I'm almost comfy with the warm up lessons.  Able to get through them a lot quicker.  Especially the ones that require changing fingers on each string.  Am into feeling comfortable with the box 1 on 8ths, 16ths, and trips.  Started working on the 3's lesson and trying to get it past 8ths but don't have the pattern down enough yet.  I'm enjoying these.  Even though they don't make "music" if feel accomplishment and feel my hands and forearms getting stronger. 

Spencer

Blues Newbie
I've just been able to watch and practice about half of the warm up stuff. I'm very interested to hear how you guys are incorporating this into your practice. Get through the warm up, then work on the lessons for 20 minutes then hop over to BGU?? What's everyone doing?

vashondan

Blues Doobie
I do the warmups then the box one scales with 8ths, 16ths and triplets and work on a couple of songs.

Wylo

Blues Newbie
Warmup drills are critical to developing serious skills in any activity. Think about athletes. Anyone who has ever watched professionals in any sport during their preseason training is struck by the incessant attention paid to fundamentals. They all start with warmup drills, then they practice the most basic of plays in their respective sports, then they string those together to form sequences of plays. They do this over and over until it’s instinctive, reactive to situations they may encounter. (Gee, this sounds familiar, almost Hamlinesque, no?)

Now take music. Attend an open rehearsal of a philharmonic orchestra in your area. Get there early while the musicians are warming up. There it is. Scales, scales, more scales. Then sequences of notes, runs, classical “riffs” that you’ll hear later during the concert.

I try to catch live music at a blues club known as Chan’s, a 150-seat venue in Woonsockett, RI, that received one of those Handy awards this past year. I always get there a couple of hours early and hang out at the bar right next to the sound stage. It’s a great opportunity to watch the pros set up and warm up. I’ve heard Coco Montoya, Walter Trout, Joe Kubek, Joe Bonomassa, and others do their sound checks and warmups. They do all the stuff Griff is showing us. You can recognize the boxes, the sequences, everything. It’s all right there. I never realized it until this past week.

Just for fun, I imported those three, four, and five note step sequences from the CD that accompanies the DVD set into my Amazing Slow Downer. Then I sped them up real fast.
Guess what? Instant Joe Bonomassa speed runs. There it is.

Griff’s commentary on the “secret” of improvisation is right there in that Pentatonic Technique & Mastery package.  From here on in, that’s how I begin my guitar work.
Like I said elsewhere in the forum, for me it’s noodling with a purpose...finally.
So far, I can work my way up through example 26 before I get totally confused and incompetent. Then and only then do I head for the garage refrigerator.

As an aside, I've been listening to Griff's band's stuff. He and his guys could take that stage at Chan's anytime and never miss a note with Coco, Walter, or Joe B. I really envy you guys who made it out to Corona to hang with a real pro. That trip's on my short list.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
"Noodling with a purpose"  I like that.  I do a lot of that and love it.  First time I took guitar the guy taught me songs.  Cool, but, I knew nothing about the guitar and couldn't even noodle.  Well, I coulda but it wouldn't have been with a purpose and it never got me any place.

Rue

Blues Newbie
I can see these exercises are just what I need so it'll be in my day .....I'll probably do these at a different time than BGU . 

giayank

Just another day in paradise
noodling with a purpose.great idea.I try to do this while looking at the pentatonic positions in minor and major to do a call and responce. major to minor.while trying to remember the root note for each position.

Tim

Blues Newbie
I have box 1; 8ths, trips, and 16ths at 70 bpm.

I have box 1 "3" sequence; 1/8th, trips, 1/16th at 70 bpm.

This stuff takes diligence!! I know the payoff will be worth it. Lets keep going!!!!

Wylo

Blues Newbie
I have been following Griff's advice and really pushing myself through it. I stop when I get totally confused, usually about 40 minutes in. But sure enough, the next day things start to fall into place.

The practice drills requiring us to play the pentatonic scale on pairs of strings is a huge payoff. Play around with that for a few days then head back to your BGU solos. Then improvise on them. Whoa! Very cool...even better with the backing tracks.

These drills are a boot camp for guitar players. At least for me, it has become the most important part of the guitar day.

If I had done this several decades ago I might have actually gotten good before I got old. Better late than never!  :)

L

Lame_Pinkey

As it only arrived yesterday i'm still looking at the exercises 1 - 659  ;D

LP - honestly by the time we finish doing our exercises that will be the end of the day & still have not had anything to eat ...time to play/practice a song , yeah right schedule that for Tuesday the 5th 2018 !!!

LP   ;D

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I hear you LP. By the time I've finished the "warm up" exercises, It's time for a break. When I come back I do the warm ups again.... I'm noticing a pattern.  ;D
I guess after I internalize the warm ups, they will go more quickly.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
It does get quicker in pretty short order.  I've really noticed a difference in my finger independence and dexterity.  Now if it could also help my brain!

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Had the first melodic pattern down at all three speeds and over the last couple of days I've gone backwards and am struggling with it. 

Wylo

Blues Newbie
Had the first melodic pattern down at all three speeds and over the last couple of days I've gone backwards and am struggling with it. 

Hey Dan, I managed the same trick 3,000 miles due east of you! I just roll with it.

The straight time drills make me crazy. The same drills with the different feels, swing, etc., seem to fit right in.

I learned it's time for a break when I start to blame the metronome ("batteries must be gettin' low...")

Two steps forward, one step backward...that's what I keep in mind...need another four hours in the day, though.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
I hear you LP. By the time I've finished the "warm up" exercises, It's time for a break. When I come back I do the warm ups again.... I'm noticing a pattern.  ;D
I guess after I internalize the warm ups, they will go more quickly.

I wonder if my gf misses me? Once I'm home from work, it's studio-time until 8pm. It's not all drills or lessons though. Gotta write/read posts and that makes a good break. Using the e.ggtimer Griff emailed for drills, learning songs or lessons in 15 minute blocks has helped. Not only keeps muscle fatigue in check but it seems to make for more noticable progress. Broken down it's warm-up / drills / break / songs / break / drills / break / lesson / break / noodle till 7:30 / drills.
That's my day. Sleep (dream guitar) Work (think guitar) Home (play guitar)
   Speaking of work and drills, found a way to work on my finger independance at work. I lay my hand flat, fingers spread, on my desk and lift/hold each finger separately. Kinda basic, but try it while writing with the other hand!  ;D