Where in the BGU course sequence does the CAGED course fit in with the other BGU courses?

70sRock

Blues-Rock Infused
I'm finishing up the BBG course (went back to this to get back into guitar playing shape after a long layoff). I'm trying to decide which course to start next? I have the option of starting with any of the other courses next.

@Griff or from any of the members that have gone through the CAGED course.

I looked around the CAGED forum and haven't see this question asked so I would like to know.
Where in the sequence of the BGU courses does the CAGED course fit in?
OR
Would the CAGED course be a good course to start after BBG? Or should I continue on with BGU?

Thank you for your help.
Bob

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I am doing caged, alongside BGU 2.0,it comes across to me as a different animal all together............but, it was suggested I learn it to understand the fret board better.

So right now, I am just doing, and letting understanding come, I am liking how I am finding chord options in different places quicker now

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
I think it's a good elective course to use at any time to get better at knowing the fretboard. I find it's really good for that.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I seem to remember Griff saying you need the basics down before caged will make sense. Maybe start in on BGU and maybe when you are a way through and need a new impetuous crack the plastic on the caged course.

cheers

Al.

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
The BGU course is too difficult for me at this stage. So, more of a technical nature like this CAGED course and Pentatonic mastery are being worked on right now. Something cool happened yesterday, a Shine on You Crazy Diamond lesson was watched on YT. After the 4 intro notes, the guy did a C chord using the A position. That was known instantly from working on the Griff's CAGED course.

Another question though.... I've been moving from positions C-A-C, A-G-A, G-E-G, etc. slow and perfect for two minutes at a time (at around 30 bpm) then forcing a chord change/strike at 60 bpm for two minutes. The C/A, A/G, G/E combinations almost there. But the E/D pairing is really bad right now. Is it really possible for a regular guy to get E/D up to 60 bpm? How long did it take you guys?

Hey Bob, congrats on finishing bbg !

Your goal, what you want to play, should suggest which course you get next. You could take the "5 easy blues solos" if you want to have fun jamming over a backing track while practicing both right and and left hand development while getting better at electric guitar solo. If you want to learn to play songs by yourself (without a band or backing tracks) then ABGU is a good next step. From technical skill level, you are probably ready for it if you made it through bbg. Griff's guitar theory course will help prepare you for bgu. The strumming and rhythm course is recommended by others on the forum, i have not taken that one myself. You should complete bgu or abgu before you try blues gig in a box, in my opinion. Hope this helps!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Once I get set up at my Tahoe place after October 1, it will be my active course. I've taken most courses that discuss theory, the Pentatonic Mastery, Strumming and Rhythm, Maj & min Blues Shapes, ABGU, BGU, BBG, Little Wing, BBBS, 52 Rhythms, 4 Note, Blues Solo Construction Kit (both of them), Theory from 2 other non BGU courses, and a bunch more I'm just forgetting at the moment. I think I'm ready for this one..........

70sRock

Blues-Rock Infused
Thanks all for your input.

Sounds like I can go just about any way that I want. A good point was brought up that the CAGED course is somewhat of a technique minded course in that it is another way to learn the fretboard. Still need to get better at that.

I'm not a beginner, went to BBG after a long layoff to get back in shape guitar playing wise. So I will move on to BGU and see where the CAGED course fits in with that.

Thanks again for the input.
Bob