Where Did The Money Go (an original)

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Dig it, CaptainMoto! Peaked my interest right away...you know how I like guitar tones that are a bit harder-edged. Did you use a fuzz pedal? Anyway, good one. Like it!

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Oh yes........... love it!!:)
Full drum tracking, mega high notes:eek:, superb guitar tones and playing, passion, and to top it all off...., a great recording.(y)(y)(y)
There is also a discernible increase in your confidence in this track.(y)

As for where the money went, I can answer that as well.........., into your recording studio!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And it was money well spent!!(y)(y)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Dig it, CaptainMoto! Peaked my interest right away...you know how I like guitar tones that are a bit harder-edged. Did you use a fuzz pedal? Anyway, good one. Like it!

Thanks,
I've got 5 guitar parts on that, I'll go back and take a look at the rig and give you the low down later today.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Oh yes........... love it!!:)
Full drum tracking, mega high notes:eek:, superb guitar tones and playing, passion, and to top it all off...., a great recording.(y)(y)(y)
There is also a discernible increase in your confidence in this track.(y)

As for where the money went, I can answer that as well.........., into your recording studio!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And it was money well spent!!(y)(y)
Thanks Davy,
I told you I was working on some drummy stuff:cool:
Well yes, some serious money in the studio but the royalties are rolling in:ROFLMAO:

Elwood

Blues
Moto, Another fine piece of work!!! So Da Vinci asks the guy painting the barn for his opinion eh?

I have a knack for getting this wrong when I try to help..so here goes...

You have a great solid groove. I don't hear you really let go of it. Maybe some kind of a bridge, chorus, whatever you wish to call a change of pace. This can make it feel good to return to the groove rather than "take it for granted".

A simple solid bass to put some more earth under it.

I don't know where you would cut (and I suggested adding right?) but I believe a target of 3.5 minutes or less will hold a listener more closely.

All my info, and taste for that matter, is very dated. My comments may be totally out to lunch. Just offering my .02 in response to your asking.

Your work is amazing, I believe your aspirations are very high. Yup.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Elwood,
Great feedback, thanks.

I agree with all your points , good observations(y)

I messed with this a few day and just got tired of listening and tweaking.
I knew it needed more work.
I was attempting do do some of what you suggested, I just got tired of mixing.
Here's a few things I tried:

Change Of Pace
I gave that an attempt in a few different ways.
I've got something I'll call "Driving Bass" and a "Synth Bass"
Each time I play those they are slightly different and I bring them in and out throughout the song.

Chorus/Verse/Bridge
I think I got lazy there but..........
I did change up the energy in one section to help break it up a bit.

Shorter Is Better
Yes, I could cut some stuff for sure.

Here's a few small samples to explain my mix.
1. The driving bass
2. High tuned rhythm
3. Mellow off beat rhythm
4. First verses higher energy with all elements going strong
5. Last verse change of pace (lower energy) dropped the drive and the fills
6. Slide guitar fills the gaps and adds some energy.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/wy11fmw1i94842y/Money Go Samples(2).mp3?dl=0

Anyways, I got work to do.
:Beer:

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
arock,
I was shooting for some edgy bite and grit on all the parts, including vocals.
I just posted a few samples in my reply to Elwood.

I used three different guitars on this one.
Blade, Carbon fiber electric for bass, Strat for high tuned rhythm & slide, Collings I35 for mellow rhythm.
The driving bass does have some fuzz on it!

The high tuned rhythm is done by playing further up the neck and applying EQ
The slide is played through this little baby with a mic backed off a few feet.

IMG_2268.JPG

Last edited:

arock

Help! I'm a rock
arock,
I was shooting for some edgy bite and grit on all the parts, including vocals.
I just posted a few samples in my reply to Elwood.

I used three different guitars on this one.
Blade, Carbon fiber electric for bass, Strat for high tuned rhythm & slide, Collings I35 for mellow rhythm.
The driving bass does have some fuzz on it!

The high tuned rhythm is done by playing further up the neck and applying EQ
The slide is played through this little baby with a mic backed off a few feet.

View attachment 9330
Nice! Thanks!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Great stuff there Capn. Your vocal range on them highs is pretty darn amazing---never thought I would hear you reach that far--but damn you did it good. I liked that synth bass hiding there in the back...Good stuff---And by the way I ask my myself the same question everday, then lie to myself with the answer. :)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Great stuff there Capn. Your vocal range on them highs is pretty darn amazing---never thought I would hear you reach that far--but damn you did it good. I liked that synth bass hiding there in the back...Good stuff---And by the way I ask my myself the same question everday, then lie to myself with the answer. :)
Thanks Dave,
I've got a crappy voice but, when I was young, I was a big Motown fan and I used to do James Brown imitations, I still got a little of that left in me:sneaky:
This one's got lots of parts and every time I try a remix, It sounds significantly different.
I'll mess around with it a bit more then kick it out the door.

PS
Waiting for your new stuff:whistle:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Waiting for your new stuff:whistle:
Considering it turned winter over night (23 degrees) every thing is at a stand still on the deck. Plus I ran a splinter up under my "THE BIRD" finger nail (damn I hate it when I do that).it HURTS---plus my thumb and 3 fingers on both hands are cracked from handling dry wood--cleaning out post holes by hand and just sheer abuse (yes I do wear gloves most the time)---it might be awhile---but I just keep on humming along. Later

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Considering it turned winter over night (23 degrees) every thing is at a stand still on the deck. Plus I ran a splinter up under my "THE BIRD" finger nail (damn I hate it when I do that).it HURTS---plus my thumb and 3 fingers on both hands are cracked from handling dry wood--cleaning out post holes by hand and just sheer abuse (yes I do wear gloves most the time)---it might be awhile---but I just keep on humming along. Later
Dave,
I found work to be highly over rated.
Be careful.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Mercy!! Two paws up on that performance. I haven't been down in this section of the forum for a long time, and have obviously missed a lot of great stuff. I have to say Moto...this is the first time that I have heard you sing where you really let your vocals come out to their true potential. You just let it go full force...and it was damn great!!! My only suggestion would be to ditch the few words before "where does the money go" in the first chorus or two (they detract from the flow). Other than that, I think that there are quite a few of the big boys out there that would pay you good money for that song. Thank you for all of your great work...

Steve