When Will DVD Ship

Bato

Blues Newbie
Any idea when the DVD course version will ship? Got the download but still waiting for word on DVD. Ordered both on 9-26-2013.  Thanks

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Any idea when the DVD course version will ship? Got the download but still waiting for word on DVD. Ordered both on 9-26-2013.  Thanks
It should have gone out today actually. We got a little behind... there was a holdup with the graphics I did not know about until Friday after it was too late and by the time Monday rolled around and they could go out there were just more than could be processed all at once.

My apologies for the delay but if you did not get an email today saying that it is on the way please let me know.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
It should have gone out today actually. We got a little behind... there was a holdup with the graphics I did not know about until Friday after it was too late and by the time Monday rolled around and they could go out there were just more than could be processed all at once.

My apologies for the delay but if you did not get an email today saying that it is on the way please let me know.

I didn't see an email today , but no apology is needed. I'm having a lot of fun with the downloaded materials.  This course is really perfect for me. Each solo is doable, and it is a good opportunity to improve counting, which is something I really have needed to do.  ...and the solos are a great confidence builder.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues

I didn't see an email today , but no apology is needed. I'm having a lot of fun with the downloaded materials.  This course is really perfect for me. Each solo is doable, and it is a good opportunity to improve counting, which is something I really have needed to do.  ...and the solos are a great confidence builder.

No email here either. But again, no hurry; the download is working good. [smiley=smiley.gif]

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Guys, I know that I was the first to order and I just got my email saying it has shipped about 5 minutes ago. If you don't already have your email, I'm sure it's on the way.

Lefty Jeff

A little blues rosetta
Mine shipped on the 3rd, and was out for delivery at my work today, Saturday.  Unfortunately, I have to wait until I return to work on Monday to pick it up.  At least I have the electronic versions.

SaddlerDav1d

Blues Newbie
Just got my copy of 5 Easy Blues Solos, came in the post yesterday.
At the moment I'm doing just what Griff suggests and just listening to the 1st solo over and over again,
even went to bed with my MP3 player last night.  :)
seem to be getting the timing right while counting along to it but that will probably be a lot harder while playing
myself. cant wait to get started. [smiley=grin.gif]

SaddlerDav1d

Blues Newbie
tried for the first time today to play the first 12 bars
of solo 1,
went quite well but I'm having a problem with timing and counting out loud.
I'm ok while just listening but when I try while playing along
I get it all wrong.
Any body got any suggestions on how to get over this.  :(

Griff

Staff member
of solo 1,
I get it all wrong.
At the risk of throwing one of our own under the bus... Ron (DrRon) was having the same trouble and came to me for a few private lessons to iron it out.

I suggest breaking it down as follows, and only do 1 phrase at a time (about a measure, maybe a little more or less.)

1 - Count out loud as you listen without the guitar in your hand. Pay particular attention to certain notes that fall on down beats as those are "marks" you can use as it gets more difficult to make sure you're still on track.

2 - when you can comfortably count out loud against the recording (still without guitar in hand) try humming along with the recording while tapping the beat on your leg or something. Again, try to pay attention to certain "marks" where a certain note falls on the down beat.

3 - While watching the video for the lick, notice how I count out the lick (I count every single note on purpose) and I suggest using a pencil to write the beats under the notes in the book. This turned out to be a big help for Ron.

4 - Now it's about patience. At this point you have to count slowly enough that you can make sure you are doing the right note on each count.

Here's the thing (and sorry about this Ron,) Ron fought me on this for about 6 weeks or more... and most people do, it's certainly nothing against him.

We spent 6-8 weeks on the first 3 bars of solo 2 and it still didn't sound very good. I saw him 3 times and each time I could tell he wasn't going slowly and carefully enough with the counting so we would go over it again.

Finally he broke - he went really slowly and painfully through it and learned the entire solo in 2 weeks flat... no joke it was amazing the difference.

I can't think of any better example than that for the power of counting. It seems SOOOO tedious at first, and like you'll never make it. But in the long run it's SOOOO much faster.

SaddlerDav1d

Blues Newbie
of solo 1,
I get it all wrong.
At the risk of throwing one of our own under the bus... Ron (DrRon) was having the same trouble and came to me for a few private lessons to iron it out.

I suggest breaking it down as follows, and only do 1 phrase at a time (about a measure, maybe a little more or less.)

1 - Count out loud as you listen without the guitar in your hand. Pay particular attention to certain notes that fall on down beats as those are "marks" you can use as it gets more difficult to make sure you're still on track.

2 - when you can comfortably count out loud against the recording (still without guitar in hand) try humming along with the recording while tapping the beat on your leg or something. Again, try to pay attention to certain "marks" where a certain note falls on the down beat.

3 - While watching the video for the lick, notice how I count out the lick (I count every single note on purpose) and I suggest using a pencil to write the beats under the notes in the book. This turned out to be a big help for Ron.

4 - Now it's about patience. At this point you have to count slowly enough that you can make sure you are doing the right note on each count.

Here's the thing (and sorry about this Ron,) Ron fought me on this for about 6 weeks or more... and most people do, it's certainly nothing against him.

We spent 6-8 weeks on the first 3 bars of solo 2 and it still didn't sound very good. I saw him 3 times and each time I could tell he wasn't going slowly and carefully enough with the counting so we would go over it again.

Finally he broke - he went really slowly and painfully through it and learned the entire solo in 2 weeks flat... no joke it was amazing the difference.

I can't think of any better example than that for the power of counting. It seems SOOOO tedious at first, and like you'll never make it. But in the long run it's SOOOO much faster.

Hi Griff, I will take your advice on board
I suppose I'm being too impatient.
I will slow it right down.
Writing the beat under each note sounds
Like a great idea. Cheers Griff. [smiley=beer.gif]

Griff

Staff member
of solo 1,
I get it all wrong.

Actually, it's not about impatient... in fact you'll find it's faster if you break it down more at the start.

But I know what you mean, it feels like you're moving at a snail's pace in the beginning... I can assure you that in the long run it'll be many times faster my way :)

Griff

SaddlerDav1d

Blues Newbie
of solo 1,
I get it all wrong.

Actually, it's not about impatient... in fact you'll find it's faster if you break it down more at the start.

But I know what you mean, it feels like you're moving at a snail's pace in the beginning... I can assure you that in the long run it'll be many times faster my way :)

Griff

Been listening to the DVD of solo 1 and writing the beats under the notes like you said, I've
listened to you playing several times to make sure
I've got them in the right place, I can see how this will help.
Thanks again Griff.  [smiley=beer.gif]

vashondan

Blues Doobie
alright, well, that's pretty cool stuff.  thanks Griff.  i've started off solo 4 (bgu) with this frame of mind but the writing beats  under the notes is a new twist. 

I have a little trouble humming the phrases but guess I need to slow it a bit so I'm getting each beat in.  Is there an Audacity that I can plug myself into to slow myself down? ;D