When to move on?

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I have pretty much finished with BBG.  Still working on the last tunes, prefecting timing and smoothing out the playing.  Is to soon to start on BGU?  Looking at the manual, it looks like the first 4 lessons are mstly concerned with chords.  All opinions pro and con are welcme.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
If all you are doing is smoothing out the rough spots, I'd move on to BGU, while still returning to BBG as needed until you are satisfied. That's my take on it.   :cool:

bills10733

Blues Newbie
Agree with Tommy.  I did them both, and pretty much moved on directly.  I still go back and play some of the BBG tunes now and again, but BGU picks right up where BBG leaves off.  If you have them memorized and can play them occasionally I'd move on.

Bill

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yep, if you are happy with your progress in BBG, it's the right time to move to BGU.

If you want to learn tunes that you can play by yourself, then ABGU is a better course. 
ABGU will teach you to play a bass line and melody simultaneously, and some solo's.

If you want to learn to play with others, BGU mostly teaches you rhythm tracks and solos for jamming.
You can use either electric or acoustic guitar for ABGU, you would need electric for most of  the solos in BGU.

Either would be a good next step after BBG.

Bob_Maxwell

Blues Newbie
Is there any over lap let,s call it. I am going to have the opportunity pick one and would like to make a good choice. I basically sit and play myself. Occasionally with others.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
S&RM to get your rhythm rock-solid and then intersperse that with 52 RF&V.  Great rhythm development to prep you for some SRV style playing.  From there to BGU as the S&RM work can substitute for the ABGU unless you really want to go to that direction.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Is there any over lap let,s call it. I am going to have the opportunity pick one and would like to make a good choice. I basically sit and play myself. Occasionally with others.

There is a lot of over lap. Most things in a course can be played with acoustic or electric. You state most time you will play by yourself. This seems to me to be a call to acoustic. You can play acoustic with others while they play electric. Having said that I recommend an electric acoustic so you can plug in to an amp when playing with others. I use an acoustic amp called Troubadour T35 that has a lot of features and is a really nice amp. Hope this helps.  :)

jmin

Student Of The Blues
My $.02 is that it really doesn't matter what you move on to, as long as you keep moving on! It's easy to get stuck in a rut and play the same thing over and over...then you'll get bored.
The guitar is a fun instrument to learn, but almost impossible to master. Good luck!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you have and play electric, I'd go with BGU.
If you have and play acoustic, go with ABGU.
Once you have gotten into a few solos in either of them you can add Soloing Without Scales (SWS).
SWS really got my soloing juices flowing.