When to change speed

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ok, I'm on page 22 Pentatonic Box 1 ...
I'm practicing Eights, Triplets and Sixteenth notes (picked).
I've got them all pretty well up to 80 bpm. When I push it to 100, I can still do the Eighths and Triplets just find, but not the Sixteenths (it seems like my pick can't keep up).
Ok, I know I need to work on the Sixteenths at 100, right? But what about the Eights and Triplets? Should I move them to a faster speed while I'm working the Sixteenths at 100 or should they all move to  a faster speed together?
Or does it not really mater which way I do it?

L

lrocs

re:(it seems like my pick can't keep up), I find if I turn my pick a bit sideways,(front of pick toward the top of fret), I can increase the speed. lrocs

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Ok, I'm on page 22 Pentatonic Box 1 ...
I'm practicing Eights, Triplets and Sixteenth notes (picked).
I've got them all pretty well up to 80 bpm. When I push it to 100, I can still do the Eighths and Triplets just find, but not the Sixteenths (it seems like my pick can't keep up).
Ok, I know I need to work on the Sixteenths at 100, right? But what about the Eights and Triplets? Should I move them to a faster speed while I'm working the Sixteenths at 100 or should they all move to  a faster speed together?
Or does it not really mater which way I do it?
Continue to practice the triplets for sure. They subdivide the beat differently than the 8th notes.

If you can do 1/16ths at 100, you can do 1/8ths... there's no need to practice them. I always just used those as a warmup. If you don't need them for that, ignore them.

Remember to keep pushing the metronome outside your comfort zone... that's the key. Don't wait too long to bump it up.

Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks for the DUH moment Griff. LOL. I don't know what I was thinking. Of course it makes sense to just practice the 16ths!

Ok now that the fog has cleared about that...
In the video Griff says don't push the metronome up just a little, push it a lot. 20 additional bpm if I remember correctly. Moving from 80-100 bpm in the 16ths is where I seem to be unable to get my fingers in synch. Is this pretty much to be expected? Should I keep it here? How do you know if you have tried too large a jump (maybe it should have been to 95 bpm)?

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
I'm about where you're at Mike. 96bmp I can manage. Sloppy, but improving. What I've been doing is warming up at 88 bmp, bump up to 96 and work at consistency and clarity, then a push at 100 - 104. Doubt if that's much help.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I'm in that same rut at about the same place. When is it considered fast enough?

Wylo

Blues Newbie
I live in the same troubled waters as the rest of you guys. I remembered Griff's advice to jack up the metronome and so I've done that and it gets pretty choppy. But every once in a while, after I'm done with the scales drills and playing around with the jam tracks, out of nowhere comes this little run or lick I've never done before, not even close, and then I think, "Whoa, cool..." and it brings all the lessons together.

Only for a couple of measures, you understand, but that's all it takes to keep me smiling & hooked on the positive stuff.

It's strange to realize that those couple of brief measures are where guys like Joe B & Griff live most of their guitar life. Must be nice! :)