When famous people are cool

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sdbrit68, Sep 18, 2020.

1. david moon

david moon Attempting the Blues

Closest I've got to someone famous- next to the keyboard player of Bon Jovi on an airplane. He was cool.

EJG likes this.
  2. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Student Of The Blues

funny you should mention them, I know the guitar player

Grateful_Ed likes this.
  3. Grateful_Ed

Grateful_Ed Student Of The Blues

...I think he was a friend of Cher's also...

4. sdbrit68

somehow I dont see Phil X and Cher hanging out....lol

Grateful_Ed likes this.
  5. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

I'm sure someday I'll be able to say:
    When I was trying to learn guitar, that guy was on the same forum with me, he was pretty cool.
    We all have the potential to be famous............who will make it?

sdbrit68 likes this.
  6. sdbrit68

well, if I ever become famous, I better still get an invite to the jams

7. dvs

dvs Green Mountain Blues

This is my cousin Paul and a song he wrote in the mid '90s. The song itself is relevant to the discussion, plus he's a little bit famous and a real nice guy.

#27 dvs, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  8. david moon

david moon Attempting the Blues

reminds me a lot of Vince Gill.

9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy

You know Phil X? He's one of the reasons I stuck with trying to learn to play. I discovered his Fretted Americana videos and liked his enthusiasm. Then I saw a couple interviews and sorta started following him more or less. I get a kick out of his stories about working his way up the ladder in the guitar world. Getting a phone call while grocery shopping - "we'd like you to fill in with Bon Jovi again". Ok, when? "Tonight, we'll get you a jet..." Ok thats paraphrasing but still. You know, typical calls we've all gotten at some point.

Anyway, from the limited interviews/videos I've seen he seems like he'd be a cool guy to talk to.

tommytubetone likes this.
  10. tommytubetone

tommytubetone Portage, MI

Yeah. It gets old real quick. :whistle::rolleyes::D

sdbrit68 likes this.
  11. sdbrit68

living in socal, and knowing someone who knows someone, I have been pretty lucky to meet people.

My dream though, meet CC Deville

12. Elio

Elio Student Of The Blues

One of my former graduate students is an accomplished jazz drummer and is now the V.P. of Music Education for GC. Last year he was telling me the story of getting a call when he was younger asking if he would be interested in going on tour with George Michael. It wasn't his favorite genre of music but he was really working hard at making a name for himself (I equate it to Ty going on tour with Katie Perry). The kicker was that they wanted a drummer who was blond and with spiked hair. He told them "no problem" and immediately went to the nearest hair salon to get his very dark conservative haircut bleached and spiked. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing that today, but I might be tempted! ...if I could play (n)

#32 Elio, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    sdbrit68, PapaBear and tommytubetone like this.
  13. sdbrit68

I would do anything Katy Perry asked me to do, even play a Daisy Rock guitar...........................yes I am that shallow

Elio likes this.
  14. Elio

Well, I know what to get you for your birthday now!

PapaBear and sdbrit68 like this.
  15. sdbrit68

Katy Perry ? Hot damn, wife may not be too happy though

16. Elio

Be real. I meant the hair dye!

17. OG_Blues

OG_Blues Guitar Geezer

My close brush with a famous person was when I got to pee in the urinal right beside Tommy Emmanuel during a break in his gig at the Dakotah Bar in Mpls a while back.
    He was deep into a conversation with someone else at the time, so I didn't even get a chance to say "hi". :(
    And no, there were no comparisons made either.
    I just know someone here was going to ask. And I can probably guess who. You know who you are. :ROFLMAO:

sloslunas, Elio and tommytubetone like this.
  18. WilliamEnright

WilliamEnright Blues Newbie

I met the Clintons and the Blairs when they were working on the NI peace agreement. I wished them good luck as it was a heck of an issue. They were polite enough to say thanks for the logistics work we were doing at the time and for the wishes. My main contact was US serviceman, Top Sgt Ramirez, lovely chap. His boss was a Colonel from 'Big Sky County' (is that Montana?).
    These days I sometimes get to spend a little bit of time with a resident of 'Buck House'. They work their socks off and always perfect manners and word for everyone they meet. Some of the stuff they do with underprivileged kids is amazing and unsung. Not beyond making a bit of fun either as I had one event I attended when I had a broken ankle, when they found out I had done it hanging out the laundry and not doing something macho I was the butt of the joke for a while.

19. BigMike

BigMike Blues Oldie

Once got talking to Steve Winwood and his band about 5 years ago at Adelaide airport. We had seen him in concert the night before and his flight to Wellington had been cancelled so they were waiting around. He was quite impressed my young son had been to the concert with me. Nice guy.
    Talking about peeing alongside famous people, I was watching the practice rounds at the British Open Golf at Royal LSA once and went for a pee, guy come and stood next to me and when I looked up it was Nick Faldo. He was nearly as tall as me! Didn't say much though. Not the right time or place for a meaningful conversation really :sick:

20. EJG

EJG Central NJ

David Bryan. He came in to a bar/restaurant where my son was playing. I honestly thought he was homeless, but the mother of my son’s buddy recognized him. He ate dinner with some other people and we didn’t bother him.
    I also sat onstage at a Allman Brothers show once. Gregg was playing about a foot away from me. I remember the promoter telling him not to have any drum solos during the show. Gregg just ignored him. Warren Haynes sat right next to me during the drum solo, but I didn’t say anything to him.

I’ve known many famous scientists and Nobel Prize winners and they were mostly very nice people (with one noteable exception).