When does the fretboard...

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
This isn't going to be a very popular response.

It involves the "T" word.

And depends on how seriously you really want to know.

When you start to realize how every note and every interval, octave, scale, arpeggio and chord pattern on the fretboard is the result of how the strings are tuned to each other.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
math-1569525694.jpg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
calculus was easy, theory, not so much

I was a thorn in the side of my math/physics professors: if they went off too deep down the rabbit holes of elegant equations I'd ask them to put some numbers in there and show us some real-world examples that we could use. :whistle:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I was a thorn in the side of my math/physics professors: if they went off too deep down the rabbit holes of elegant equations I'd ask them to put some numbers in there and show us some real-world examples that we could use. :whistle:

I got in trouble for correcting my teacher multiple times, back then I had an eidetic memory. I didnt learn anything, I just never forgot anything

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
This isn't going to be a very popular response.

It involves the "T" word.

And depends on how seriously you really want to know.

When you start to realize how every note and every interval, octave, scale, arpeggio and chord pattern on the fretboard is the result of how the strings are tuned to each other.
So much this! And I'm reminded of it every time I play with someone that's an actual musician and not just a wannabe like me.

A few months ago I was playing with some folks at church that were in the real musician category. In the middle of practicing one of the songs, the leader said "keys and guitar add a 12." The keyboard player dutifully added whatever the heck the 12 was. I, otoh, had to stop playing to figure it out. "Let's see, we're in C, so 8 is C, 9,10,11,12...12 is a high 5 so G. OK, so he wants a G that's up on top of the chord. Now where's the closest G that fits that bill and is conducive to the way I'm playing that chord." By the time I figured out what it was I was supposed to be playing, they were already on to the next song. Honestly, finding the high G was the easy part...it could only have been in a couple of places, so pick the closest one to my chord shape.

Also, in the AAP sessions when Griff says something like "play a 5 here to lead into the next chord." I have to do that stop and think thing again. "ok, the 5 would be this note, so where's the closest one of those." By the time I do that, I've missed the change.

Truly understanding the fretboard is what culls us wannabes from the real musicians.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Da Da da da da
I'm a wanna be player
Da Da da da da
Never been on the road
Da Da da da da
Played a bit around town
Da Da da da da
never the heavy load
Da Da da da da