What's the Best Course for...

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by snarf, Nov 25, 2018.

1. snarf

snarf audiences like their blues singers to be miserable

Looking to work on some of the scales, get a little faster, and get better at triplets and especially 1/16th notes. Other than the occasional moment of brilliance, I still struggle with 1/16th notes. @Griff , would I be better served to pull out PSTM or one of the Speed Building courses? I notice they have some very similar (and some very different) things in them.

2. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Student Of The Blues

my vote is PTSM, besides the obvious work out.............it has helped me slide in and out of multiple boxes, and find sounds easier

JestMe and snarf like this.
  3. snarf

snarf audiences like their blues singers to be miserable

That's actually what I was thinking so it's what I've got open and practicing tonight.

MikeS and sdbrit68 like this.
  4. JestMe

JestMe Student Of The Blues

Make that one more vote for PTSM... i see great minds think alike!!! ;-)

snarf and sdbrit68 like this.
  5. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary A Blues Legend in My Own Mind

I decided to whip this out today for the second time after seeing this post after working on the speed courses since they came out and I'm ruuuusty on this course again

snarf likes this.
  6. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

While they do serve a similar purpose, they do it a little differently. PSTM is more complete speed building - the "speed building" courses are more for folks who just can't stand to do scale work, and need to have it be at least somewhat musical.

That being said, there are skills in each that aren't in the other... so I suppose at the end of it all you'll probably end up doing both. Where you choose to start is up to you :)

snarf and sdbrit68 like this.
  7. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Student Of The Blues

Eventually I will try the other..............but for me, the PTSM had been a course I make sure to use at least 4 days a week. It was the first one I was actually able to get comfortable memorizing all 5 boxes, and I tried many times before, and couldn't do it.

Its also been a huge help on "Improvising" moving between 3 boxes in different ways, before, I just always used the extended scale. Overall, I promote this course because it has been a huge help for me, the correct course at the correct time

wildwood and Griff like this.