What's the Best Course for...

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Looking to work on some of the scales, get a little faster, and get better at triplets and especially 1/16th notes. Other than the occasional moment of brilliance, I still struggle with 1/16th notes. @Griff , would I be better served to pull out PSTM or one of the Speed Building courses? I notice they have some very similar (and some very different) things in them.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I decided to whip this out today for the second time after seeing this post after working on the speed courses since they came out and I'm ruuuusty on this course again

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
While they do serve a similar purpose, they do it a little differently. PSTM is more complete speed building - the "speed building" courses are more for folks who just can't stand to do scale work, and need to have it be at least somewhat musical.

That being said, there are skills in each that aren't in the other... so I suppose at the end of it all you'll probably end up doing both. Where you choose to start is up to you :)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
While they do serve a similar purpose, they do it a little differently. PSTM is more complete speed building - the "speed building" courses are more for folks who just can't stand to do scale work, and need to have it be at least somewhat musical.

That being said, there are skills in each that aren't in the other... so I suppose at the end of it all you'll probably end up doing both. Where you choose to start is up to you :)

Eventually I will try the other..............but for me, the PTSM had been a course I make sure to use at least 4 days a week. It was the first one I was actually able to get comfortable memorizing all 5 boxes, and I tried many times before, and couldn't do it.

Its also been a huge help on "Improvising" moving between 3 boxes in different ways, before, I just always used the extended scale. Overall, I promote this course because it has been a huge help for me, the correct course at the correct time