DAW What's that hiss?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I tried recording my BGULabs Challenge in both Audacity AND in Studio One.
After exporting them to WAV or MP3, both recordings have a background hiss that isn't present when playing it within the DAW.
Any thoughts on what's causing it?

Hissssss

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I tried recording my BGULabs Challenge in both Audacity AND in Studio One.
After exporting them to WAV or MP3, both recordings have a background hiss that isn't present when playing it within the DAW.
Any thoughts on what's causing it?

Hissssss
If it's Windows my best guess would be an audio driver

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Do you get the hiss in the exported track if you mute the guitar track you recorded and export just the backing track? If you do, then I don't have any clever ideas.

If you don't get the hiss with the guitar track muted, are you sure it's not there in the original guitar tracks, but just too quiet to hear? You might "amplify" the track in the DAW and see what might be hidden in that quiet area. If there's something there, then the problem is figuring out where it's coming from. Do you have anything else plugged into your mixer? I've recorded similar noises in the past - a few times from a mic I had plugged in and I forgot to turn the level down on the mixer, and once when I had a passive DI box plugged into one of the mic channels and phantom power was turned on (a grounding problem in the DI box, I think).

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Do you get the hiss in the exported track if you mute the guitar track you recorded and export just the backing track? If you do, then I don't have any clever ideas. Exported the backing track and while there is a tiny bit of hiss, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

If you don't get the hiss with the guitar track muted, are you sure it's not there in the original guitar tracks, but just too quiet to hear? Hmmm... Seems like it's there when I mute track and only export the guitar. I don't really notice it when playing it within the DAW, but....You might "amplify" the track in the DAW and see what might be hidden in that quiet area. If there's something there, then the problem is figuring out where it's coming from. Do you have anything else plugged into your mixer? I've recorded similar noises in the past - a few times from a mic I had plugged in and I forgot to turn the level down on the mixer, I think I have everything that I can mute muted, but I'll try a few mixer changes and try again.and once when I had a passive DI box plugged into one of the mic channels and phantom power was turned on (a grounding problem in the DI box, I think).

Thanks

Reactions: dvs

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
After reading Doug's suggestions I tried a few things and here's what I found:
1) If i use my pedal board & amp (amp XLR out plugged into the mixer), I have to "Normalize my guitar track to be able to hear it. This introduces hiss.
2) If I plug my guitar directly into the mixer, then it's loud enough so that I don't have to Normalize the track, so no hiss.

What I read into this:
1) for some reason the output from the XLR out from my amp isn't "hot enough" (It's WAY loud in the room though)
2) there is some noise in my signal chain that is getting amplified when I normalize the track.

Next step. Easiest will be to plug directly into my amp and leave the pedal board out of it & see what happens.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Solution (?)

1) Mixer has a button (Guitar/Line) set it to Line
2) Peg channel input on mixer (+30db)
3) Slider (Dial) up to 3/4 (About +5db?)

Little or no hiss!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Why use amp or pedal board at all? Interface into DAW with plugins, allows for re-amp, much more control, flexability, and much less interference.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Solution (?)

1) Mixer has a button (Guitar/Line) set it to Line
2) Peg channel input on mixer (+30db)
3) Slider (Dial) up to 3/4 (About +5db?)

Little or no hiss!

Yeah, but then I have to mess with it a bunch after the fact and for BGU Labs Challenges, I'm trying to just make it easy.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Yeah, but then I have to mess with it a bunch after the fact and for BGU Labs Challenges, I'm trying to just make it easy.
Are you using your Studio LIve AR8? If so, the faders have no effect when you are recording. The only control you have of levels is the input control and the LED indicator right next next to it. Are you selecting your input in your DAW software as the input you have connected to your guitar?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Are you using your Studio LIve AR8? If so, the faders have no effect when you are recording. The only control you have of levels is the input control and the LED indicator right next next to it. Are you selecting your input in your DAW software as the input you have connected to your guitar?

Yes AR8 & Studio One. Didn't realize that the recording was PreFader.
I think I'm selecting the guitar track. From the "Song" menu, I'm "Exporting Mixdown" (Guitar & Backing) when I export the song.

Mixer input level at 12 o'clock (Unity?) and after normalization. (Pre normalize you can't here the guitar at all.)

2020-04-09_0905.png

Mixer input maxed at +30

2020-04-09_0913.png

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Oh, brother! The dreaded hiss is back.
I have everything on the mixer set to zero & muted yet I'm still getting a massive hiss. Could it be coming from inside the computer?
There is no hiss coming from my speakers (connected to Ctl Room on the mixer), but when I record,(what should be no signal at all, and the meters in Audacity show no input) I get this Hiss
I thought I had this figured out the last time, but this makes no sense to me.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Just spitballing but could it be a ground loop?

Have you tried different cables or different input points?

Are your input cables balanced?

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
I've had this happen in Audacity sometimes too.

Won't help you, but for others with similar issues in Audacity, the solution has always been to turn up the recording output volume of my source. (Not the same as the amp volume.)

This is consistent with your comment that your XLR output isn't hot enough. Does your XLR out have an adjustment? In my case, I have to turn my Fender Mustang's USB volume up under the advanced amp settings in Fuse. It is individually saved with each preset and defaults to a low value.

If you do have to "normalize," for those that use Audacity, you can clean up using the noise reduction "effect." Highlight a sample of your track that has the noise (I pick a snippet that is nothing but the hiss) and apply it to your whole recording. I've never noticed it take anything else out, though I'm sure it probably does.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Mike,
Maybe I missed something but, could you please give us a complete layout of your signal chain?
What's plugged into what and in what sequence?

With no other info, I'm guessing it's a gain staging issue, bad connection or noisy cables.

Not sure if this will help:
Here's three ways to adjust the gain on any track.
#1. In the Mix window go to the lower left and open Inputs, adjust input gain there.
#2. On each track you can raise/lower the gain by dragging the little white box that will appear when you clock on the track.
#3. Browse effects for the Mix Tool, drag it on to the track and make adjustments as needed.

Gain2.jpg

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well, I had to record it to the SD card in my AR8, then Transfer it to my DAW (Studio One 5) and it worked finr.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Signal...
Guitar>Tuner>Mooer GE150>A/B Box>AR8>USB>PC DAW (I've tried Audacity and Studio One 5 Artist)
I've removed everything one by one until I'm plugged directly into the Mixer. Still Hum/Hiss.
I set all Inputs on the mixer to zero (Pre & Post fader) and unplugged the all inputs. Still get hum/hiss
I changed the PC audio source from my AR8 to my Web Cam. Still get hum/hiss.
Set everything back to "normal" and I recorded directly to my Mixers SD card et voila! No Hum/Hiss.
So it seems to me to be something within my PC. any thoughts?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OH boy,
I have half a chance at understanding things that are connected by cable.:)
Zero chance of understanding what goes on inside computers.:(

Sticking with my area of limited knowledge, does this occur with guitar signal only or does it happen with any source, such as vocals?

Again, trying to apply my limited knowledge, could it be the USB cable or USB connection?