whats more important 1 fast box shape or ? ?

Blues_Man

Blues Newbie
yea so i'm thinking after mikes question about blazing speed on box 1 ( yea mikes)  ;)

would it make more sense to have balance across ALL the boxes, i know that's not the book layout but... those other boxes need their fair share of practice as well,

this came up when i was trying to run the boxes up the neck and sure enough blazed thru box 1 and not so so on box 2 and so so on box 3 you get my drift, my BPM were not even !

what you all think, eh!

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
I learned the 5 shapes about 4 years ago and practice them in order
and would think dialing in all the shapes first is better in the long run.
Or it could be six of one half dozen of the other for all I know.
Whatever works for you is good.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
If you build up the speed on one box, it won't take as long on the others. It's actually pretty irrelevant as far as I can tell which you choose to do.

I always gave each box equal time, but I've seen it work both ways.
Griff

L

Lame_Pinkey

I think some boxes are a bit tougher to navigate through,  probably depending on where they are played.Lets take box 5 in A at the 3rd fret, I find that to be the slowest I play because of the 4th & 3rd string being 4 frets from note to note & its quite a stretch for me (index & ring fingers) but if in G then you could play 5 on the 13th fret & it would be a breeze.

LP

J

justinlc2003

I like to play with position 1 & 2 starting at in B because when you slide into position 2 the 12th fret makes for a good little finger marker