What lessons are all us BBG students working on?

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Re: What lessons are all us BBG students working o

Yeah way to go Murr! Every step gets harder and for me that initial feeling of "oh man, I can't do this" still happens with a lot of stuff. The difference is, the farther along you get it only last for 2 seconds and then you start to laugh remembering all the stuff you used to think you couldn't do!

Russ

Blues Newbie

I go at each lesson something like this. I read the lesson completely through. I try the notes and/or chords by themselves, then try the lesson. Then, I laugh at myself and say, "Holy crap. I'll be glad when this is old hat in a couple weeks". I laugh some more and start practicing with my First Efforts video. Right from the gitgo, I NEVER said "I can't". I decided that I will go as far with this as I am humanly able and then pass that  :p . Negative words or phrases puts mental limits on your abilities. Don't limit yourself.

R

Rick1949

Murr, How are you today? Besides not having this pattern down.  I have had some of my students to just use there right hand or fret a simple chord with their left. Do not try to change chords. I had them put on a simple drum track with a very distint Bass on the down beat and a high hat on the up beats. Do not strum any down beats only the up beats. Get this feel in your right hand of UP UP UP UP etc. on the high hat sound.  I prefer to say "an"  or "and" instead of up, my choice not important which one. After a while you will feel the up beat or back beat as some say. When you get this up, up, up, going and feel it then we start to mute on the down beat. This is hard to explain while writing and not showing you.  As you move down with the pick and start back up you should notice that your pick is straight on the strings. Now when you start back down, the down beat, rotate your right hand the fleshy part of your palm inward. This is like rolling your hand to the right in toward the strings. As you go thru on the down beat let the fleshly part rub the strings which stops their ringing. Then repeat the up and down to the drum track till you can play the back beat with out the strings ringing between the counts. Then go to your pattern in the book.  I hope this is helpful because I may not be writing it clear.  Good Luck   Richard

R

Rick1949

Murr when I read your post I didn't have any past yours.  After I post I have a lot of posts after yours. I am glad you got it and Ignore my feable atempt  to explane. Again sorry for not seeing the other post.  Richard

M

Murr

That"s OK Richard, I sorta did what you are saying anyway. Thanks anyway because every little tidbit helps. I'm middle aged and just started the guitar, the old brain isn't as responsive as it use to be. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] Must be the beers. :-? ;D [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

smeg

Blues Newbie

Thanks Richard, sounds like a good exercise to try. I am 43 and making my fist REAL attempt at playing so stuff like this is a big help. One question. Are you saying actually "strum" the strings with the fleshy part on the downbeat or just a quick tap to mute the strings?

R

Rick1949

smeg, Yes brush you hand over the srings just light enough to stop the ringing.  Richard

M

MandyC

I take heart that it is possible to master the dreaded C7 chord.

The only question is when............ :'(

L

Lame_Pinky

Good on you Murr I'm Happy ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n0Q9Not3ks ) for you.Great advice Henry you have my nomination for honorary God Status ! Hang in there Mandy you'll get that dreaded C7...even though I can play it - badly at times - I've always despised it & with all the troubles everyone seems to be having with it I banned it completely ! (just joking  ;D )
I think with the C7 changing to it is a matter of getting your index finger in place 1st ( on the 2nd string ) I change from barre chords to C7 (shape) & I find this to be the best way & I do the same when playing barre chords - no point in changing a formula that works right ?
Good luck with it & keep us updated.

LP

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie

now see, I can play C7, but cannot do an F...maybe it's just how are hands are built or maybe how our brains function or something that we don't have an answer for.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Sunny, when I was first learning I had no trouble with the C7 too, but it took a while for me to get the F to ring clean. Keep at it, it will come.

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie

Mike you are always so supportive! Thank you for being here for us and working so hard to help us as much as you can. I know we appreciate it.

J

jhagan421

I'm sure it's practice over the tele, but I do like the way it sounds and feels alot more than the squier strat. Went back and play sitting easy blues with griff 3 or 4 times with no mistakes. Got to E7 B7 A7 progression and am still working on that one. E7 and A7 are easy but B7 is kinda tricky but I'll get it in a few days:)

I LOVE MY SQUIRE

J

jhagan421

i'm like stuck on those blankety-blank, friggen barre chords...can't seem to find the time to practice though, so hoping i'll get some quality time in this weekend!
Hey Sunny,
  If I had a bunch of trouble ( like I did ) with B7 ... how am I EVER going to do barre chords ??? did it take you very long to make your first barre sound OK ?

It seems like that every time you are at the bottom of the hill staring up at the next goal.  I'm working on Barre's now as well - it's not hard at all (for me) to make the barre it the moving and changing shapes over 4 or more frets thats tough.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Since I bought my house 4 weeks ago, I haven't had a  chance to touch my gits since we moved in because I work on the house as soon as I get home from work. I just got my computer up today. I think I'll be pacing myself from now on and I'll have to start from scratch once a finger injury heals.  ::)

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Good too have you back Russ. Hope the finger injury is not bad and you can get back to playing real soon.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Good to see you back Russ!  Fortunately, it won't be entirely from scratch.  You'll still retain a good portion of what you had learned.  :cool: