What lessons are all us BBG students working on?

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Hasn't been any new recordings lately, including from me :)

I'm on the third of the strumming lessons, I have to say the first one lulled me into a false sense of security... I can strum those 3 patterns pretty nicely but I don't feel I should move on [much as I really want to] because I haven't got my chord changes smooth.. at any speed! Well I probably have the first two close enough but the G7 C7 D7 ties my fingers in knots still.

So what are the rest of you guys working on?

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Re: What lessons are all us BBG students working o

Ray,
   I like this question. Since I won't be able to record anything in a while I'm glad I can let everyone know what lessons I'm going through. I'll be starting 1 as soon as I get it today. I'll probably watch the bonus dvd first and take a bit to go through stuff but that's my plan, until the Cowboy game starts!

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie

Your plan sounds good to me Spencer... you're right it's good to be able to 'say' where we are as well 'play' where we are :)

560sdl

Blues Newbie

until the Cowboy game starts!

Boo, Cowboys, Boo

Former Redskins fan, current wait and see and I will believe it when I see it Redskins fan and hopefully future Redskins fan! ;D ;)

I

IrishRover

Maybe we should add sports to politics and religion  ;D ;D ;D

Ray, I'm about where you are with the strumming but for me the problem is my strumming hand.  I can't consistently strum the strings the same way.  After the first couple of strums I'm either missing half the strings or getting the pick 'caught' on one, and I'm using a medium round v-pick that really glides over the strings so you know how bad I'm doing.  practice, practice, practice.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie

I find that happens most when I start thinking too much about the next chord change Matt... I have been known to actually miss 'all' the strings  ;D

As you so rightly say practice, practice, practice

L

Lame_Pinky

I've had BBG since just before Christmas but with all the house hinting & what not have not had much time to do anything with it, apart from having a look at the book & just " trying " a few of the early exercises - haven't even watched any of the DVD's yet !
I'll get to it though  ;)

LP

I

IrishRover

LP, I think you'll really like the BBG stuff.  Especially all the stuff around Little Mary's Farm.  Hope things settle down for you soon.  At least it's summertime for you. If you were here you would be trying to move through 2 feet (61 cm) of snow  :cool:

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues

As I am still recuperating from shoulder surgery I am limited to short periods of guitar during the day. I am presently working on "Sitting Easy Blues", the first 2 patterns, doodling and will try to add at least one easy song in the next little while. Once I get the Sitting Easy Blues down I will go to the second licks. I know nothing about recording so I have to figure that out as well.  :)

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!

Hey Ray - Whad'ya say  :)
  I am currently trying to make " The Sitting Easy Blues " sound the way I want it to sound ... almost there ... I want to be able to pick up my guitar ( Her name is " Miss Blusey Dewbwa " ) and play it in it's entirety from memory ... and it's got to sound good and clear ... It's really cool to be able for the first time to almost play a tune  :)  

B

BobW

Just received the material on Friday been banging ever since---I'm on Sitting Easy Blues and loving it

Russ

Blues Newbie

I've had BBG since it was first offered to original members and I'm stuck on Sitting Easy Blues. I can do the First Licks like nobody's business when it's just them. Then I get to this SEB lesson. I can do the first 8 bars just fine, but the 9th- 13th bars could just as well be a Beethoven symphony. That is to say, I can do them, but I can't make the whole piece sound anything like Griff's version. It just gets too fast for me at the end. I get to the 9th bar and my hands are like, "Forget it buddy. We're takin' a break."  :mad:  Even my wife and kids wish I could just get it so I could move on. I won't let myself go ahead until I can' nail this "easy" piece. I mean, I'm not going to learn anything if I don't try, right?

560sdl

Blues Newbie

Russ, don't feel bad.  I have gotten so frustrated with Sittin Easy that I have taken a little break too.  I got the notes down, no problem, but the timing I still struggle with.  

I started the next one about a month ago, but have not gotten very far.  

Working a little on Solo #2 in BGU but have been spending most of my practice time working on my band's tunes and trying to figure out how to juggle my practice time.

Russ

Blues Newbie

I put my copy of BGU in storage. I'm so much a beginner that it was pure luck finding Griff and his material in time to get BBG. If I can't even get past this 2nd lesson, I see no reason to work on BGU. That of course is only my opinion of my own learning curve and available practice time. I think you working on your band's songs would only help you learn or at least grind Griff's methods into your head (and hands). One way to look at it is that at least I can already plan out retirement. At my current rate of practice, I should be about a 1/4 of the way through BGU when I retire.  :-?  :eek:

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie

Hey Russ, I did the same with BGU, I started it and then thank goodness Griff released BBG which is a much better place for me to start as a beginner.

I found that once I had Sitting Easy almost right moving on was good for me, I still play it every day as part of my warm up & it still doesn't sound like Griff's playing it :)

Russ

Blues Newbie

I simply can't get through the last 3 bars. Once I can get it even 1/2 way close, I'll move on, then record it when I can get close to Griff's

560sdl

Blues Newbie

I will say it again guys, the Beginning in BGG is a misnomer. Beginning Blues, maybe............Beginning guitar, heck no.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA

I simply can't get through the last 3 bars. Once I can get it even 1/2 way close, I'll move on, then record it when I can get close to Griff's

Russ,

Keep at it and keep your focus on the parts you're struggling with.  You will nail it &, once you do,  you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.  It's a neat song & a great excercise.  I look forward to hearing your recording.

Russ

Blues Newbie

Yeah, I know it'll get there. I'm (and my family) just getting tired of trying on the same piece.