What Amp does Griff used?

roudan

Blues Newbie
Hi

Anyone knows the Amp Griff used when he recorded this course? I like his tone. I have a Yamaha THR10 and I cannot get his tone. I am wondering also if anyone can recommend a bedroom amp for classic rock tone? I practice mostly at night at basement so not too loud would be great.

I heard Boss Kantana, Carr Mercury, Orange OR15 are good . What do you thing ? Thanks

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
you should be ok with the thr? got marshal models,,have you used the editor? there must be presets on that,,ive got the thrC and can get it ok

roudan

Blues Newbie
How Yamaha THR10 work with pedals especially overtime distortion pedals? I heads it does not work well with Pedals?

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Thanks guys. Anyone knows Boss Katana?
I have both the THR10C and the Boss Katana head. Both are very versatile - you can get just about any tone you want out of either, but it may take a bit of time and effort (experimentation) to accomplish it. There is a growing library of sounds for the Katana that can be downloaded from Boss. Using the editing software is almost a requirement with either amp to really get the most out of them if the factory stock settings and options don't give you what you want. With the THR's you can build more complex patches with the software than you can from the on amp control knobs IIRC.
I find the small speaker in the Katana head very nice and convenient for practicing at low volume (although it can get pretty loud in a home setting too), but it definitely exhibits less headroom and breaks up sooner than a good external speaker, so a given patch developed on the internal speaker will sound different with an external speaker. I wish it had a little better fidelity though.
The speakers built in to the THR10C are significantly more hi-fi than the single speaker in the Katana head. The THR series amps are GREAT sounding amps.
Both the THR and the Katana take pedals very well.
Keep in mind that different guitars match up with different amps in different ways. You haven't said what guitar you are using. Some specific guitar / amp combinations just have that magic sweet spot connection it seems, i.e. they just work better together than something else. For example, my Quilter 101 head sound very good with any guitar, but it exhibits significantly better dynamic response and behaves and sounds more "tube like" with my Les Paul.
It can take time to find the right combinations that get you the tone you are seeking.
There are many other good options too - it's almost hard to go wrong these days.
Good luck,
Tom

roudan

Blues Newbie
I have both the THR10C and the Boss Katana head. Both are very versatile - you can get just about any tone you want out of either, but it may take a bit of time and effort (experimentation) to accomplish it. There is a growing library of sounds for the Katana that can be downloaded from Boss. Using the editing software is almost a requirement with either amp to really get the most out of them if the factory stock settings and options don't give you what you want. With the THR's you can build more complex patches with the software than you can from the on amp control knobs IIRC.
I find the small speaker in the Katana head very nice and convenient for practicing at low volume (although it can get pretty loud in a home setting too), but it definitely exhibits less headroom and breaks up sooner than a good external speaker, so a given patch developed on the internal speaker will sound different with an external speaker. I wish it had a little better fidelity though.
The speakers built in to the THR10C are significantly more hi-fi than the single speaker in the Katana head. The THR series amps are GREAT sounding amps.
Both the THR and the Katana take pedals very well.
Keep in mind that different guitars match up with different amps in different ways. You haven't said what guitar you are using. Some specific guitar / amp combinations just have that magic sweet spot connection it seems, i.e. they just work better together than something else. For example, my Quilter 101 head sound very good with any guitar, but it exhibits significantly better dynamic response and behaves and sounds more "tube like" with my Les Paul.
It can take time to find the right combinations that get you the tone you are seeking.
There are many other good options too - it's almost hard to go wrong these days.
Good luck,
Tom
Thanks OG Blues. My guitar is Gibson les Paul traditional.

Norfolk Bill

The only suggestion i can make because i have the thr10c so different models,,,,choose the plexi (lead) master at 3 oclock ish ,,,gain 12oclock,, bass 12 oclock,,mids 2 oclock,, treble 8 oclock, and adjust from there,,like any amp eq there are no wrong settings use your ears and not your eyes,,by that i mean dont let the fact that a control looks odd ie too low or high put you off

roudan

Blues Newbie
The only suggestion i can make because i have the thr10c so different models,,,,choose the plexi (lead) master at 3 oclock ish ,,,gain 12oclock,, bass 12 oclock,,mids 2 oclock,, treble 8 oclock, and adjust from there,,like any amp eq there are no wrong settings use your ears and not your eyes,,by that i mean dont let the fact that a control looks odd ie too low or high put you off
Thanks Billrand. I will play with it. I really appreciate your help

Norfolk Bill

no worries mate :),, have you used the editor on a pc to see what the presets are? i will be surprised if there is not something like an ac/dc type tone in there

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
Agree with what's been said above about the THR series...

I have the THR10C and can get very good AC/DC tones with the Matchless and Marshall amp pre-sets. Like was said before I could get even better tones using the software but I'm happy with those two pre-sets.

I've put a Tube Screamer in front of the THR10C and think it sounds fantastic.

If I was to get a 2nd practice amp and wanted something different from the Yamaha I'd get the Blackstar HT-1R. Check it out.

roudan

Blues Newbie
Thanks Guys,

I have quite a few pedals ( reverb, delay, chorus/flanger, overdrive, distortion, compressor). If I just want a good tone small amp without built-in effects and instead just use my own pedals for effects, which small amp would be good for me? is it better to use pedals to get effect comparing to using built-in effects? Thanks