What’s next

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Richard, it’s awesome having you with us!!! As far as what’s next, Tommy gave you great advice; keep it rolling with Griff and Blues Guitar Unleashed 2.0!:):thumbup::Beer:

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Welcome Richard. BGU2 is the way to go if you want electric guitar and are going to jam/play with others. If you are going solo I suggest ABGU

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Good advice from everyone on here, BGU is the favorite if you want to move up to the next level, great all round tuition.

KurtTrampler

Blues Newbie
Just finished Beginners Blues. I have gone through killer blues made easy and just finished Griff’s last e-mail solo for beginners. Any one have suggestions on what I should try nest?

I just started BGU ... made my first forum post y'day ... so I can't offer any course related advice.

I play out whenever I can ... open mics, blues jams, that sort, and years ago I met a killer great guy and musician in Savannah, GA.

He's become a good friend and mentor, but in the 20+ years we've known each other he's given me 4 pieces of advice. Four pieces. In 20 years ... and I treasure each one.

Here's one, and I think many will agree:

"think about what you want something to sound like before you play it, and work toward that ideal."

It sounds obvious, and forgive me if you know this already, but I can't stress it enough. I'm not talking about a whole song, either ... I'm thinking phrases or licks or fill.

I don't mean we should think about the NOTES you are about to play. Everyone plays notes ... they're just tones and time, afterall ... but not everyone can sound like Albert Collins, or Griff Hamlin, for that matter.

Record yourself if you don't already, and listen. Find your holes and work them out ... diction, attack, vibrato ... AMP AND GUITAR SETTING ... accurate bends, etc.

Bending can be complex ... where it starts, ends, is it a slow bend, or all at once ... there's a whole world of bending.

So listen to yourself play and compare it to your ideal. Work it out so it sounds right.

Don't bog down, though. Move on with your lessons, but continue to re-visit past lessons and listen to yourself.

Just advice from a windbag, and again, forgive me if you do or know this already.

play the blues

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum Richard! good to have you with us!! :thumbup:

As far as your next course? You have a lot of recommendations already but I'll chime in a little. It depends on what you want to do next and how soon you want to do it. This is where the path may fork. Play at home? Play out and in front of people? In front of people in an electric band setting? Acoustic setting? Play mostly rhythm? Play lead?

If you are playing at home ABGU or BGU are great choices. Strumming and Rhythm Mastery is an absolute must! Are you interested in playing electric in front of people in a Blues Jam? 52 rhythms, pentatonic mastery, 4 note solo, etc, try this one (https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/pdf/using-3-common-blues-rhythms.pdf). If this is too challenging? SRM, ABGU or BGU might be a good next choice.

Last edited: