Weekend Warriers Program (Australia only I think)

G

Garymcm

Gday all
I noticed that in the states your have open nights and blues comps etc. I'm sure there are open nights and stuff in Australia too, but live music doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to and the opportunities to play in front of people are limited, especially if your like me and a goose of a player.

I had read in a music magazine about a programme run by music stores in australia where they will set different muscians into small groups with similar music tastes, provide a mentor and set up a two hour per week practice set up for six weeks and then they set you up a gig in a local pub.

Finally found one that's run in WA, so I imagine there's more of them in the eastern states. The programmes called Weekend Warriers.
Below is a link to the one run in Perth. Cost $300 which isn't too bad (would cost $21.45 in the US ;)).
Biggest problem for me is that it's still 350 kms away. Briefly mentioned it to my wife last night, who wasn't that keen on me doing a weekly 7 hour drive for a two hour practice session, especially over the Xmas silly season and avoiding kid minding duties etc.

Anyway food for thought, might be able to get the closed music shop (90 kms)to get interested. thats only a two hour drive per week, i do that to get my wine supply for the week.

Cheers
GAry

G

Garymcm

Re: Weekend Warriers Program (Australia only I thi

:p :p ::)
Bugger, forgot the link

http://www.kosmicsound.com/index.php?page=viewStory&title=Weekend+Warriors

Gary

G

Garymcm

Bloody Bugger

Why not do a google search for weekend warriers???
Presto they have a website.... no wonder my PhD is hard work.
http://www.weekendwarriors.org.au/
Cheers
Gary
:p :p ::)
Bugger, forgot the link

Gary

G

Garymcm

sorry the last post addded to the previous one????

:p :p :p :p :p
anyway you get the gist of it.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

I wish we had something like this here in Dallas.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member

That's neat, I wish I had something like that here.

johnc

systematic

The WW program is Australia wide as far as I know and the closest one to me is about 1 1/2 hours drive.
But I am sure that the concept was born in the US and it was licensed in Austalia.
It started here in Brisbane about 8-9 years ago by Ellaways Music and has spread to other cities as far as I know.

It is a great system and full of folk like ourselves.  All sorts of ability levels so you have to be open minded and supportive.
It's about people having a go and if you don't take it too seriously it would be a lot of fun.

560sdl

Blues Newbie

That is basically the system I am in for my small band.  Our teacher put a bunch of beginners together and mentors us as well as plays drums.  I believe that is a similar system to what Tim had done.

There are quite a few opportunities like that around me.  My buddy that runs a small music store recently started hosting an Adult Jam once a month in their largish practice room.  I have not been yet but plan to go soon.  He always invites me to Wednesday night "acoustic open mic" nights but I have never felt ready for that, but getting closer.

These were probably inspired by School of Rock, only for adults.

Tim

Blues Newbie

Gary that it is exactly what my instructor Darin Morris does. He has kids and adults. My very first performance was after a 7 week training where we went over the songs with all the band members and our instructor Darin.

We then performed 3 songs live. It was awesome!! It really will advance your playing exponentially.

Tim