Virtual Playing Tools

AndyPaquet

Blues Newbie
I am trying to play with a friend. We use Zoom or Skype with Logitech combination mic/camera. This doesn't allow us to hear each other separately. Either one or the other dominates the broadcast. I can't hear his bass if I am singing and playing. I am hopeful someone can recommend a way to solve this problem so we can hear the vocal and 2 guitars as if we are in the same room. I also wonder if a Samson g-track pro mic would solve the problem? Many thanks for a proven answer.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Check out this thread: https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/jamkazam.29538/
Also this one: https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/online-jamming.29385/

You won't find Zoom or Skype up to this task, no matter what gear you have - there's just too much delay involved. I think Jamkazam is the closest that most of us here have found to a workable solution, and it's less than ideal. Good luck with your quest, and please do update that first thread with your experiences and anything you find out!

AndyPaquet

Blues Newbie
Thanks. I'll check out jamkazam while I await Samson providing an answer. My general expectation is latency will inhibit this way of playing together. More later.

artyman

Fareham UK
A friend and I experimented with Jamulus earlier this week, after a failed attempt with Zoom, the latency was far to great. Jamulus is an audio only thing, we did sort of get it to work, and I think it has potential, but as I only have my Katana or Mustang amps as a way of getting signals into the PC via USB we had issues. Using something like a Focusrite unit may solve the problems but a present I don't have the kit or else the sound card in my ancient PC isn't up to the job.

AndyPaquet

Blues Newbie
A friend and I experimented with Jamulus earlier this week, after a failed attempt with Zoom, the latency was far to great. Jamulus is an audio only thing, we did sort of get it to work, and I think it has potential, but as I only have my Katana or Mustang amps as a way of getting signals into the PC via USB we had issues. Using something like a Focusrite unit may solve the problems but a present I don't have the kit or else the sound card in my ancient PC isn't up to the job.
Thank you, artyman. I plan to try this and jamkazam this weekend to test both. Will post assessment..

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks. I'll check out jamkazam while I await Samson providing an answer. My general expectation is latency will inhibit this way of playing together. More later.
No mic will resolve the latency issues within Zoom or Skype. The problem lies within the platform, not your equipment. While success with Jamkazam can be hit or miss, I've had several successful jam session using it (and several that just didn't work out). With JamKazam the primary issue is your internet connection speed (and the speed of everyone in the session). Some say that distance is an issue too, but I've jammed with people across the world and if their connection is great, then it has worked. Another issue is that once you get over 4 or so participants, it definitely gets wonky.

Alan B. Go.

Blues Explorer
I've been using JK successfully for a few weeks now. I have a good wired internet connection and my latency is nearly non-existent. I jam with a friend in San Diego (I'm in Tucson, AZ) and he's the same. However, I have two other friends here in town and their latency is worse than mine but we're still able to jam. I'm interested in playing with anyone. Interested? Send me your email and I'll invite you to be a "friend". Alternatively, invite me at alanbgo@gmail.com. Stay Well!