Video Three Acoustic Blues Down to the Station

T

Temple

hi Griff,
comments are disabled on video 3 for acoustic, so i'll do it this way and hope it reaches you. The rhythm stuff is fun BUT there is NO WAY my pinkie can reach the 7th fret 3rd string w/ my 2nd finger on the 2nd string. very discouraging. 6th fret barely, 7th fret no way ever for my hand! have an alternative or shall i just play the 6th and 7th as notes by themselves!?
thanks and aloha!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Can you help me find the place you are referring to? I have the course and I'm looking at the tab for down to the station, but I the only "Third String Seventh fret" I can see are short spans. and you either post a copy of the tab you are referring to  or key something in that we can see? I can't find my link to that free video, so I can't check it out.

fredfish

Blues Newbie
hi Griff,
comments are disabled on video 3 for acoustic, so i'll do it this way and hope it reaches you. The rhythm stuff is fun BUT there is NO WAY my pinkie can reach the 7th fret 3rd string w/ my 2nd finger on the 2nd string. very discouraging. 6th fret barely, 7th fret no way ever for my hand! have an alternative or shall i just play the 6th and 7th as notes by themselves!?
thanks and aloha!

Video 3 doesent contain the stretches - that is in video 1 - if you look at approx 5 mins in Griff talks about what to do if you cant make the stretch.

BUT do keep trying - often the biggest thing you can do to make the stretch is to change your fretting arm position. For stretches you often find that if you "lean in" to the note by bringing your shoulder down and forward when you try the stretch can help. It is easier to see than to describe. If you watch Griff playing in those videos - when he makes those stretches his shoulder position changes. Griff is used to the stretches so his shoulder doesn't move much but if you look for the movement and try to replicate it- and exaggerate it, it may help.

The other thing you can do id to practice the same relative stretches further up the fret-board - the stretches are shorter - and then gradually work you way back down the fret-board.

The videos (this is for video 3 - but you can access video one from this link as well) are here.

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/acoustic-blues-video-3-e-blues-extensions/

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Mike,

I think he is reffering to the free lesson Griff sent out. The video 1 blues in e with the streach to the 7th fret. I can't get that yet. I'm still struggling with the standard streach. I think Griff says in the vid that if you cant make the 7 streach just stay on the 6 fret.

cheers

Al.

L

Lame_Pinkey

I think this is stretching to make the 7th for the B measure from the 2nd fret to 7th fret (root on 5th string 2nd fret 'B') for someone younger this would eventually be attainable & for many of us too but "how long" ? So you can do this by going to the 7th fret & playing on the 5th &6th strings & the pinky stretch is to the 12th fret & this is still a B.
Its just anothet option but doesn't mean give up trying it the other way as well.

LP

P

Pup

I think this is refering to Example 35 measure 9 on page 41 of the book. To make this stretch make sure you get your thumb Below the middle of the neck. You'll never do it with your thumb on top of the neck.

sleepingangel

Blues Newbie
Funny, I was very frustrated with just getting the 2 to 6 stretch when I came upon this post. The funny part is I tried to do it on my own because I hadn't had a chance to look at the video (I'm talking about the actual course) and I just figured that was it. I just couldn't do it. But now watching the video (thanks for posting that) I can do the 2 to 6 with the technique Griff describes. By flipping the guitar over. I can't believe I can do it. I have very small hands and an unusually small pinky. I'm not kidding. My little 8 year old niece has a longer pinky. So, if I can do the 2 to 6 I bet most people could. Without seeing the video though I would have said IMPOSSIBLE. Now about the 2 to 7...well that's still impossible for me lol
Good luck
Maria