Video plus USB audio HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Tips and Tricks' started by Iheartbacon, Sep 8, 2019.

1. paparaptor

paparaptor Central Scrutinizer
    Staff Member

Here is one (of quite a few) that I have cranked out using Vegas Movie Studio.
    https://youtu.be/7daxeuQQdTk
    Video was recorded on a Sony RX-100 Mk III point-and-shoot camera.
    Backing track was imported into Cubase and played simultaneously with the recording
    Audio was recorded with Cubase 9.5 DAW software.
    The guitars were through two different Eleven Racks.
    All audio went through a Presonus Studio Live AR12USB mixer.
    Video and audio were combined and synchronized using Vegas Movie Studio.
    The third guitarist (lower left) was not recorded. As I recall, it was his choice.
    BTW, the guitarist on the white Strat is Diego Vargas, one of Griff's private (face-to-face) students.
    This was shot in my music room in February of 2019, while Diego and his parents were visiting us.

Iheartbacon likes this.
  2. Iheartbacon

Iheartbacon Blues Newbie

That works well, but it is way more involved than I wanted for this purpose. I was hoping to avoid using too many pieces of hardware and software and especially avoid the editing/mixing step. I wanted to just hit record, and get video from the laptop camera and 3-4 channels of audio (stereo backing track plus mono/stereo guitar) from the focusrite.

Adding a cheap mixer would likely solve my problems. I am also thinking I could do it by connecting the laptop’s mic input to one of the monitoring/headphone outputs of the 6i6 and just monitor and record everything as mono. The 6i6 is already mixing the guitar and backing track so I can monitor them on headphone 1. I will see if I can dig up the right cables and converters to test this but I am still worried about the video lag with the Windows Camera app.

paparaptor likes this.
  3. paparaptor

Staff Member

I get that. It's a lot to bite off for what you want to do. The only reason I have the gear and software to do this stuff is I have an interest in documenting the local music scene in my area and have had to put together a lightweight kit to get acceptable recordings in clubs and outdoor venues.

If I didn't have that kind of interest, I would probably prop my cell phone in the corner and record with it!

Iheartbacon likes this.
  4. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

Just took a look at those Sony cams.
    Of course they just came out with the newest Mark VIII for $1,200.

Well before guitars and recording, I was into photography.
    Sold all my 35mm gear years ago.
    I've steered clear of camera G.A.S for years...............hope I can hold out:rolleyes:

Iheartbacon likes this.
  5. paparaptor

Staff Member

You can move up or down the product line on those. I found the MK III to be in the sweet spot of pricing. It shoots video at 1080p60, and does a pretty decent job in low light. While I take a lot of stills with it, its video capabilities are really why I got it. Before it, I had (still have) a Zoom Q8. I was really excited about it when I got it, because of the exceptional audio recording capabilities, but I was sadly disappointed by the fixed focus and the 160 degree view on the video. The zoom is digital, not optical and the resolution disappears pretty quickly when you zoom in. It's also noisy in low light. In order to get a live shot of just a band onstage, I had to be nearly on top of them. I keep the Q8 around and still use it, but only as an audio recorder. It is comparable to the Zoom H4n audio recorder and the battery seems to last forever when the video is disabled.

CaptainMoto likes this.
  6. Iheartbacon

Iheartbacon Blues Newbie

SOLVED!!!!!!!

Ok here is the semi-simple solution. A VIRTUAL mixer! And I already had one installed DUH!

So, I am using VoiceMeter Banana to capture the 4 (two stereo) inputs from the Focusrite, mix them and send them to a virtual cable that I can then set as the input device in Windows. To do this you set output A1 to Focusrite ASIO and then in the setting menu you can set hardware input 1 to ASIO 1 and 2 and harware input 2 to ASIO 3 and 4. Route the two inputs to output A2 which is set to the virtual cable (or B1/B2 which I think will also work if you don't have VB cable). Make sure nothing is routed out to A1 unless you want to send audio back to the focusrite. You can adjust levels in VMB if needed. Set the Windows default input to the other end of whatever output you sent the audio to and voila, the default Camera App sees the four channels come down as a single mix.

This is a bit convuluted to setup, but once the audio routing is in place, you simply open VMB and Camera and hit record and it will capture everything.

FWIW, I have the backing track going through the focusrite so I can hear it and the guitar together through the hardware monitoring with virtually no lag. You could set the Windows playback device to VoiceMeter and from there send it to both the input to record and a headphone output to monitor if you don't have extra inputs on your interface.

paparaptor likes this.
  7. paparaptor

Staff Member

Glad you found a solution!

8. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

Great!
    Now I need to digest what you did.

Iheartbacon likes this.
  9. Iheartbacon

Iheartbacon Blues Newbie

If I can post pictures to this forum, I will share some screen grabs and write up in more detail what I think it will take to duplicate. It shouldn’t be too hard, but the software involved doesn’t have the best documentation.