Video/audio help please

Elwood

Blues
Hey guys,

1) I have a 30sec mp4. I would like to loop it to make it 3 or four loops long.:thumbup:

2) Then I wish to edit the audio track and re-add it to the video like I know what I am doing.:thumbup::thumbup:

for #1 I would like a free solution if one is native to either windows 10 or iOS 14. Barring that I have a demo of Filomora. it seems to work OK but it wants 90 bucks to remove an ugly watermark.

for # 2 I think I can use VLC to remove the audio as a MP#, then edit it, and add it back, as long as I do not alter any time values.

You guys know this stuff and I don't. If I am best off to just pay Filmora I guess that's OK, but I bet there is an easy way. Any tips (other than you better stick to guitar pal) are welcome and don't assume that I already know.:confused: I am trying to do something easy, I just don't know how.

Help! I need somebody, Help! not just anybody......see.....:whistle:

EDIT// I may be clumbsying my way through it. MS Paint offers a start.

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I have a permanent license for Filmora and I would use it for all those things. It would work fine, though it might be a painful process while you learn how to make it do what you want.

There are numerous free video editors available, both open source and proprietary. I tried out a handful of those along with demos of some commercial programs (I don't remember all of the names, but google can probably find for you the same half-dozen or so programs that I came up with, and probably a couple of new ones as well). For us, Filmora had the advantages of not being aimed at the professional market (i.e., a little easier to use), running ok on our non-leading-edge PCs, and doing the kinds of things we wanted. It only cost $60 when we bought it, but the program has come a long way in the past few years.

Elwood

Blues
Thanks Doug!!! I may just pony up for Filmora since you have good experience with it. I have spent too long with various free and trial stuff. I either get frustrated or watermarked.
Right now I may have my rickety kite patched together in a few hours. If it does a fast loop into the dirt I'll be thinking of you! :Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've been using Magix (formerly Sony Vegas) Movie Studio Platinum. I originally bought it because I asked Griff what he used and that was his response. I've been through version 14, 15, 16 and just recently upgraded to 17, only to find they released v18 within the last week or two. Since I haven't used anything else, I cannot compare it, but it does what I want and is well under a hundred bucks for a full license (which can be used on two computers simultaneously). It's light enough it will run well on most PCs made in the last 5 years, although rendering a final edited video goes considerably faster on newer gear.

Elwood

Blues
Well, thanks Papa! I have it, have it installed, currently at the ...smoke coming out of my ears phase, very normal for me. So far the helpful you tube does not match my screen, hmmmm. Sleep will help. :)

EDIT// when all you got is thumbs, and all the thumbs are dumb, go sleep. I believe I have progress!!!

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
One more question. @dvs and @PapaRaptor you guys both are doing Star Wars levels stuff, I do appreciate the nudge. Now I have the Magix.

What file type are you exporting as and using for posting? My first "successful" completion was half the size of Texas, swamped my C drive. I don't see MP4 as an option. Help me out, please.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Not at the pc now, but at the end of this quickstart guide, it shows how to make a youtube ready file. There are a couple good instructional videos on Magix in youtube. I've only made a couple one camera live recordings, these how-tos got me through it.
https://youtu.be/R2YJtfmERok

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I almost always use MP4, surprised that's not an option in Magix. You said C: drive, so I'm assuming you're on Windows, but M4V is an Apple format nearly equivalent to MP4 (except it allows DRM).

WMV, AVI, MOV are other nearly universal options you could use instead of MP4.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I almost always use MP4, surprised that's not an option in Magix. You said C: drive, so I'm assuming you're on Windows, but M4V is an Apple format nearly equivalent to MP4 (except it allows DRM).

WMV, AVI, MOV are other nearly universal options you could use instead of MP4.
MP4 is definitely doable on Magix.

Elwood

Blues
At least you know I really don't know the answers.

Yes I am loading into my PC. My first error was I was inattentive and Magix populated my C boot drive to bursting point. I am now un- and re-installing. After that I will doggedly seek a MP4 solution. I did see an AVI option.
I'm just trying to do a silly little thing. But...I'm a gonna get it done!!! Some more you tuber viewing is in order along with a re-supply of patience.

I believe what we have here is a clear case of Thag piloting the Challenger.

Thanks again!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
At least you know I really don't know the answers.

Yes I am loading into my PC. My first error was I was inattentive and Magix populated my C boot drive to bursting point. I am now un- and re-installing. After that I will doggedly seek a MP4 solution. I did see an AVI option.
I'm just trying to do a silly little thing. But...I'm a gonna get it done!!! Some more you tuber viewing is in order along with a re-supply of patience.

I believe what we have here is a clear case of Thag piloting the Challenger.

Thanks again!
Yes, MP4 is one of the options (and the only one I use).
I click on the Make Movie icon near the top of the screen, which brings up a dialogue box asking what you want to do with it I select "Save it to my hard drive" and the NEXT button.
That will bring up another dialogue box where you can title your movie and select the type of file.
MakeMovie.jpg

I rarely use the advanced options dialogue button. I prefer to set up the final configuration when I start the video under Project > Properties.
The "preferred" audio for MP4 is 48khz, but the MP4 wrapper is flexible enough to allow any audio sampling rate, so 44.1khz works just fine. Surprisingly, if you convert from audio one sampling rate to another in Magix, it has almost as much impact in rendering time as changing a video rate.

I prefer saving it to my hard drive rather than directly uploading it, so I can view it and see if there are any anomalies introduced in the rendering process. If it passes the smell test, then I upload it.

You'll notice there is an option to render the loop, if you want something less than the entire time line. Otherwise it will render until the last event it finds on any of the video or audio channels.

Elwood

Blues
I was way out on the wrong limb. Never ever saw that screen Papa.
Currently uninstalling and re=doing. It has to be on my D drive or no joy. I'll be back.

I never get the custom install screen that would let me specify my D drive as the target for installation. Rats, off to tech support.
Just like the bad doctor said, I got no patients patience. Deleted everything I could find related. Went into the registry, killed some keys, machine still works. Reinstall let me specify targets, YES!!!

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Dang!
Dang dang dang dang dang!!!

I sure wish I had a "make movie" button. Can not find it. I swear, my screens don't look like any others, at least so far. Do you see it?
upload_2021-7-21_12-18-27.png

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Reinstall let me specify targets, YES!!!

I've used the default installation. The only thing quirky about my installation is within Windows. When I first got the machine, I moved all the /User/ folders to the D:/ Drive, which can easily be done right from Windows Explorer. I'm about ready to replace my C:\ Drive, as it's a 256gig SSD and it is nearing capacity. I have a 1tb SSD sitting on my desk (and it has been there for several months), but I tend to procrastinate about stuff like that.

Edit: Just saw your most recent post. Looks like you might have Movie Studio 18 and it appears they rearranged the default screen. I have to go run some errands, but I'll check on it when I get back and see if I can help you out.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
In Filmora you "Export" the video and there is an Export menu for that. I think in Magix it's similar except it might be under File > Export; give that a try until Lloyd gets back.

Elwood

Blues
I bumbled around and did it once!!! I got an MP4 and everything! Now I shall return to studio one for a bit of embellishment and then back to Magix to see if I can replicate my success.
As much as I love playing I often experience a different feeling with software. Thanks for your help guys!!! :Beer: If my "free" time holds up and I get lucky I'll post up my silly video later.
(yup, I keep hearing that little jingle, "you deserve a break two day"...) uh, different mac.

edit// that up arrow at the top right of the screen (just like somebody said :whistle:) leads to export nirvana!

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
I guess I don't really know where to post my vid. Since it is kind of whimsical I guess I will hang it in the lounge. Now that I can do it, hey that was fun! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

Elwood

Blues
Two thing that I learned that might be worth sharing.

The first is a system storage capacity issue I was not aware of. I got a reply from a staffer on the Magix forum who was kind enough to include this tip

"Pleased to hear your are now sorted..

. . . . my C drive (a small boot drive) . . . .

How much free space do you have on this drive? When video editing, the Windows Pagefile (Virtual memory) may grow to several GB. The ideal free space on the drive should be about 20% of the drive size and the size management of the Pagefile size should left to Windows as it will dynamically adjust what is need."

Some of us are still running less than cutting edge machinery so this is worth checking up on. (I thought prevailing wisdom was that 10% was good in the past)

The second is what was my dumbest mistake that kept me from completing a movie. In that screen shot up above you see the window with the kid in it? That is where I was dragging the video file. I was dragging the audio file to the area below that looks like tracks. It plays that way. That really sucks because play is all you can do with it that way. What you need to do is drag both the audio and video files onto those tracks below. Now I begin to understand a bit of how you guys are doing those multiple camera view movies....multi video tracks, one audio track, sync em up, select your display format. I bet I'm close...hmmmmmmm

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I was doing a little checking on the new version 18, only to find it is a completely different program than v17 and prior versions. Apparently they have had their pro level Vegas product line, the Movie Studio product line and a third one, Movie Edit Pro. They have decided to "merge" the Movie Studio and Movie Edit product lines, which essentially consists of retiring the Movie Studio product line and rebranding the Movie Edit Pro...

In a few words, it's a bit of a mess and IMHO, a marketing nightmare. There are people who got the update teaser pop-ups when opening Magix Movie Studio 17 that the "update" to version 18 was now available. Upon upgrading they discovered it is a completely different product and Magix is standing firm on their policy of no refunds on software.

I downloaded the free trial of 18, since I just upgraded to v17 last month and saw the interface that you're seeing, @Elwood. Since I just got it this morning I haven't had time to delve into some of the issues the user base is complaining about, but I ran a couple of old projects from v16 through it and other than the 3 minute time limitation on the trial version, it seemed like it shouldn't be a major learning curve to make the switch. The two products were developed by the same team, so they are very similar in layout. It will just be a matter of learning the differences. For example, the Make Movie button that I mentioned doesn't appear to be present in the new v18, but is instead a part of the export function. Honestly, this makes sense to me and is more consistent with the audio editing software packages I use.

I'm going to go look at the Magix forums, which apparently are on fire from the pissed off long time users of the older product. I may also inquire of Magix to see if they will honor an upgrade from 17 to 18, since it was done barely a month ago. The good news (at least for me) is that the different versions of Magix Movie Studio can be installed side-by-side. I currently have v15, v16, v17 and now the v18 product all installed and licensed on my computer.

I'll be back...

Elwood

Blues
pretty cool! Even though I am getting better results with my acoustics from g-band (I credit this to my poor abilities, and g-band doing a great job with what amounts to pre-sets for recording), I still take everything to S-1 before I am done. Electric stuff I just use S1. It was tough for me to get to my comfort zone of being a 7% of total program ability user but I really value being able to use Studio One as much as I do. That is thanks to you and you guys.

This movie thing is the last thing in the whole world I thought I would have an interest in. That was fun! Dang, I have a larger SSD coming for my boot drive. Ouch, ouch, I believe I have been bit!!! I'll be listening.