variations

Discussion in '52 Rhythm Fills & Variations' started by Mr.Scary, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary A Blues Legend in My Own Mind

Does Griff give a lot of variations and lead fills inside the chords. The sample video just looks like more of the same og BGU.

2. HotLks

HotLks Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.

Think of it as starting where the first 17 lessons of BGU leaves off regarding rhythm.

What got my attention in 52 RF&V is the chord substitutions.  Yes, I've seen some note fills, but mostly the chord substitutions.  My goal is to be an excellent rhythm player and this course is offering me a lot of options to not be boring in a three chord accompaniment.  You should know that I just started the course in lesson 1 and turned pages.  Then I got BGU and put the rhythm course away for a while.  So far, yes - there are similarities, but as a rhythm course there is more depth.  Being in the beginning of the book, I can't comment more than this, but now  I'll look.

I think that with some solo practice under your belt and the ear training that comes with the practice that you would be able to "hear" some appropriate fills while you are learning the rhythm techniques.

See you down the road [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. jmin

jmin San Francisco, CA

I did work my way through the 52 RF&V course last month. To be honest, I can't recall 52 different fills, but there were at least enough to give great ideas for augmenting rhythm play. The most important thing for me was the timing part - when and where to use the different fills. Good little course. If you get the digital version on sale it's well worth it!

4. david moon

david moon Attempting the Blues

I'm glad you blasted through the course last month. Maybe you could post some recordings.  :)

5. tommytubetone

tommytubetone Portage, Michigan

I posted this before. If you do Griff's course and this one, I think you're good to go. If nothing else, listen from about the 10:00 minute mark for some cool comping.   :)

http://youtu.be/BC54wHDKLd4

6. david moon

jmin- I apologize for the snide tone of my previous post. For me, my approach is to internalize and memorize a lesson to the point where I can record it without a major flub. That could be two weeks or more per lesson. So going through the whole course in a month is not something I can conceive of.

Recording myself has been great feedback for myself, and posting recordings here gets feedback from others. I'm putting my stuff out there, so I'll still say (in a friendly way) show us what you've got. :)

Original poster- There are some recordings in this thread which will give you a better idea of the course content.

7. jmin

jmin San Francisco, CA

David, not a problem. I can see where my post looked a little arrogant.  In fact, I didn't do the course in just one month, I've had it since Feb.! (I just finished it up last month). I've also been working on BGU and MMBS, along with a few VJR's and way too much Forum stuff! So, I really wasn't focused on recording my progress on 52RF&V. If you really want me to play something from it, just pick a lesson and I'll see if I really learned it!

8. david moon

So arrogant meets snide and cancels out  :)

I'm glad there are no hard feelings all around. I'm kind of stalled at lesson 13 of BGU, diverted to the 4 lessons from the masters, and now doing the 52 Rhythms. If you've posted to the VJR you're ahead of me there.

If you want to do 52 Rhythms 1-20, that's what I'm working on now and hope to post a recording sometime this long weekend.

9. jmin

jmin San Francisco, CA

Oh, sure, pick the hardest (but probably one of the coolest lessons) ;)! I really liked 1-20. That turnaround is cool, but will take a bit of practice. Right now it's sort of hit and miss. This lesson is really fun, but I believe that Griff points out, you really wouldn't play or comp like this. It's a bit "busy."
    But that's what makes it a great practice piece. Thanks for the challenge...i'll be back.

Yep. this was a fun one! Seems like about 5 or 6 nice licks.
    I kinda had to fudge some parts, but I think that's legal!!!
    52 Rhythms 1-20

Thanks for the motivation, david!

Peter Wynne likes this.
  10. david moon

Well played! Now I have to reply  ;)

11. JestMe

JestMe Student Of The Blues

Hey jmin... Nicely done!!!

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

12. Thatman

Thatman Playin' for the fun of it.

Nice one Jmin I really like that one and you have it nailed. It's a good job nobody is challenging me to post a piece of work.  :-[

13. jmin

jmin San Francisco, CA

Hey, Don, thank you and ...I challenge you to post your latest 52 RF&V lesson! No pressure...but we'd all like to hear you play! And I think the original intent of mr scarey's post was to know if this was different than BGU...

14. david moon

Well- I think I have it down, then try to record along with the backing track at speed and it all falls apart.  I think it's because I'm still "reading" the tab and don't have it memorized.

15. Thatman

Thatman Playin' for the fun of it.

Hmmm, I think I'll try and rise to this one then but it'll have to be the weekend before I can try and sort out recording things again. I think I'm close to maybe getting Ex 1.17 out, it's not brill but I know trying a post will do me good.  :-?

Phew, no pressure.  :-X

16. david moon

Friendly rivalry- let's go for it

17. Chinook

Chinook Blues Newbie

Dang!!  You guys are great.  The solo was super and this gives a newbie a slight insight where all my practice may lead.

Thanks,  Chinook

18. david moon

Here's Ex 1.20 on solo 12-string acoustic. 

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ljzrit0ats1miqb/acoustic%201-20.mp3?dl=0

It's a litte rough- I've played it better, but then the Record light comes on, and you know  :mad:

Still need to work on the electric with the backing track.

19. david moon

jmin- your recording was really good, but you did fudge on the turnaraound. I think I nailed the turnaround pretty good. Who else is going to pop in with their recording?

20. jmin

jmin San Francisco, CA

Nice job, David! Yeah, I think I did "fudge" (creative license!) on my turnaround. Congrats on the "challenge"...still waiting on Don!!