Using a major scale over a major chord

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I've been working this out on the guitar and honestly, playing C lydian over the lV chord in a G blues just doesn't sound right...

Time out!! Stop the presses and hold the phone!!!

Have you been thinking about Blues progressions this whole time?

Are you playing over a Blues backing track that has all Dominant 7 chords?

If so.....

Nothing I've said has anything to do with Blues.:eek:

Griff doesn't discuss Blues changes until 5 lessons later in Lesson 18.

Playing over a "IV" chord (C7) in a G Blues would be a totally different discussion. :whistle:

Last edited:

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Time out!! Stop the presses and hold the phone!!!

Have you been thinking about Blues progressions this whole time?

Are you playing over a Blues backing track that has all Dominant 7 chords?

If so.....

Nothing I've said has anything to do with Blues.:eek:

Griff doesn't discuss Blues changes until 5 lessons later in Lesson 18.

Playing over a "IV" chord (C7) in a G Blues would be a totally different discussion. :whistle:

That may explain my confusion. I was using a variety of backing tracks including blues. Time to go back to the guitar and do a little more work.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I think playing C Major over the G Major and F Major tracks will now make things pretty obvious.
Sure does. I can now see why the F note in the C major scale sounded OK in the G blues progression. It's the b7 of the G7 chord! The lightbulb finally lit! Thanks again Paleo. Sorry about your head.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
When Paleo said "Understanding that one short section opened up everything for me" referring to the section in GTMU, I can see what he meant. It has done the same for me. Griff is the only one that I have heard discuss this and I appreciate Paleo for helping me understand it. I had to actually hear it before my old brain would accept it.

Paleo I would still encourage you to post a video on this topic if you're up for it.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Paleo I would still encourage you to post a video on this topic if you're up for it.

I was all set to give it a go today.

However, Griff is going to cover this topic in tomorrow's AAP live session.

So let's see what he has to say and I'll go from there. :)

Last edited:

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I was all set to give it a go today.

However, Griff is going to cover this topic in tomorrow's AAP live session.

So let's see what he has to say and I'll go from there. :)

OK. I'm not an AAP member and probably others as well. Hopefully Griff will also cover it in one of his blog posts. I think it's quite important for understanding how using modes can improve soloing. I tended to ignore them in the past.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Since you now understand the section in the manual, I'm not sure what more I can add.

Is there something else regarding modes I can help out with?

Again, blues and diatonic progressions will be two different discussions.

There's a lot of directions we could go.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Since you now understand the section in the manual, I'm not sure what more I can add.

Is there something else regarding modes I can help out with?

No I'm good. I just thought that a video might help others who have been following this thread. We'll wait and see what Griff comes up with.

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
I also have been working on the "Modes Course" and have been following this thread with great interest!!