USE THE BGU FORUM AS A MENTOR

panther

Blues Newbie
James;
When did you switch from left handed playing to right, and how long did it take to catch up to the lefty playing ?
Dan

Russ

Blues Newbie
Good point James. I have seriously considered switching hands, but since my wrist pain seems to be improving slowly, I'm sticking with my norm.

Justatele

Blues Newbie
I ran a saw accross my right thumb some 15 years ago
and my life was shit because the love of my life was lost, playing the guitr, I could play about 15 minutes and because of the fact I have no feeling in my last digit in my thumb I cramped up so quick I could not play'
Igave everything I had away and finally sould a guitar I had had for 20 plus years
I wanted to comit suicide ,seriously I thought about it when a friend of mine gave me a great acoustic,right handed, we wwent up camping and hikeing for 2 weeks and I figured out I could comp some chords.
I kinda liked that and my wife bought me my PRS and MY AM Strat so I would continue. She told me if I was going to be the bastard I had become we were going to get a divorce.
In 2010 she told me to either get it back together, and get another band or she was moving out. I started playing 3 hours a day and have done so till this day. I realize Iwillnever beableto shred again, but I play a mean Chicago style blues these days, I have to chicken pick because I have no feeling in the thumb and depend on sound to realize where it is . So I am trying like hell to develope a great style doing such.
Griff has been a life savor to me, he has been the only teacher I have had in the last few years who tells me strait I am screwing up and here is a study I need to ace. He understands my frustration, I need to get motor memory with a entire technique going. and he pushes me to do such. I also realize what I will sound like without the ability to hold a pick and he shows me great pickers who used thumb and a few fingers to try to emulate. I cannot express the thanks I have he took me on.

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
          Great story RJ ... more evidence we all picked the right teacher.

:)

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Excellent advice, Russ... the forum is the best mentor you could possibly find; whatever your question, you're sure to find someone here who has the answer to it... and you may well discover that there are more answers too!

Here's a beer for your effort!

[smiley=beer.gif]