USE THE BGU FORUM AS A MENTOR

Russ

Blues Newbie
This article on improving your speed may help some of us at some given point. It's about flat picking, but a guitar is a guitar is a guitar  :eek:

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1286805327

Russ

Blues Newbie
I felt the need to re-post this from our friend LuckyLarry1 because it just fits so well with the idea of this thread. DO NOT BE AFRAID of asking questions. If it is over your head, ask for it to be broken down just a little more. THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS HERE. With a teacher who actually participates and cares and a forum of thousands of people, someone is bound to help you understand what's confusing you. We all know it can be frustrating. If it were easy, everybody could do it and it wouldn't be "cool". Please, don't give up on yourself. You deserve this.

I originally copied it from the Porch Style thread of BBG.

Re: Is it Porch Style?
Reply #3 - Yesterday at 21:50:10 (3-21-11)

Panther, I can relate to what you are saying. I look at some of the theory stuff in BGU and my eyes moist over, I dribble on my chin, etc. What I can tell you is that as you go along in BBG you will learn some theory, the forum can add some when you have questions and some is totally Greek. Just take what you can and where you are at the stage of understanding. It comes one tiny bit at a time.
Something to be aware of. I have asked questions and got the answer I was looking for as well as answers that to me were the thesis of a masters program. I had no idea what they were talking about. I learned to just take what was relevent to me and ignore the rest. I do think that there  are others more advanced than me that may have understood the rest of the answer so it is all good.
I would suggest you keep asking questions when you don't understand something. My experience is that the questions I ask are indicative of where I am in my learning.
Hope this helps.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Just been watching Griff on You Tube. He said something that "struck a chord". We all know this, but don't listen. He said practice slowly until your brain has no choices but to get it right. If you speed up before you're ready, you then give your brain choices, which will turn out badly.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I didn't remember that "Don't give your brain choices" quite. I like it. Thanks.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Ya, its in a video of him in his house that I saw on You Tube. Funny how random comments can open eyes......

Russ

Blues Newbie
http://www.4shared.com/photo/JW9GS1jt/RBRepairStudy.html

How much guitar time can you actually say you get? I read the Repair Guide while I'm waiting for the kids to get done with school. (work from 2Am - around Noon) That's about 20-40 minutes added on top of actual practice of 20-60 minutes. This only represents a few days a week. Many times, I'm lucky if I get 5 minutes of guitar time and it frustrates me greatly.

I have to keep reminding myself that many if not most of our members are retired or don't have kids in the house, ect.., so I shouldn't feel like I'm not getting enough time. I'm only 41, so I actually have a "jump" on a lot of players  ::)  :eek: .

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Russ, I think most if not all of us beginners have these frustrations. I try to play as much as possible but often don't feel like I progressed very much. Then I see some guys just whizz through the courses and I think Damn, why don't I progress that fast. There are 2 things that I do to keep every thing in perspective. I look back at how far I have come in the last few months. I am doing things and understanding things that were above me only a few months ago. The other thing that really gave me a boost is I over heard my wife on the phone the other day talking to her friend. She is learning to play the drums and told her friend that while she has only learned a few beats she can play them that I can play my guitar all around her playing. She said "he is good". Of course I know that she is biased and that I am no where near as good as she thinks...but it was a real boost never the less. And Russ you pointed it out, you are only 41. I and many others are in our 60's and we are still learning and having fun even though we will never get to the stage you will get to in the next few years. Keep enjoying, keep having fun and remember it is not a race.  :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
http://www.4shared.com/photo/JW9GS1jt/RBRepairStudy.html

How much guitar time can you actually say you get? I read the Repair Guide while I'm waiting for the kids to get done with school. (work from 2Am - around Noon) That's about 20-40 minutes added on top of actual practice of 20-60 minutes. This only represents a few days a week. Many times, I'm lucky if I get 5 minutes of guitar time and it frustrates me greatly.

I have to keep reminding myself that many if not most of our members are retired or don't have kids in the house, ect.., so I shouldn't feel like I'm not getting enough time. I'm only 41, so I actually have a "jump" on a lot of players  ::)  :eek: .

Russ, I'm 60 and by the time you are, you will be miles ahead of where I am now because you were smart and started earlier.

Russ

Blues Newbie
I do my best to listen to everything Griff tells us. To be completely honest, I'm not real interested in soloing yet, but figure I'll become interested once I graduate BBG and get back into BGU again. Anyway, I do try to pay attention to the little things. I've had hip issues for a couple years (truck driver) and always practice sitting at my desk. Well, if I'm going to be able to play in a band or just play with some friends or whatever, eventually I need to listen to Griff and learn to play while standing. I thought I was preparing myself for that by strapping the guitar pretty high up on my mid section. I mean, it really doesn't leave much pressure on my leg when I'm sitting. As it turns out, I haven't been sitting as straight up as I thought I was. I've been getting down right pretty good at the Fast Walking Blues. I have passed that lesson months ago, but still like to play it. I decided to try that lesson first with the play along, then with the No Git back up. I almost didn't post this, but figure my embarrassment will help others see how important it is to either stick with 1 method, or learn to play while sitting and standing. I just gotta say, I can usually "nail" this lesson when I'm sitting. Just remember, this is a multi- first for me. It's a hurdle I need to get over and I look to Griff and BBG and BGU to help me through it.  :cool:

http://www.4shared.com/video/Brj0D11o/StandingFirst.html

Sorry about how dark it is. I have finally convinced the wife that we need a ceiling fan/light, but will have to wait until after our oldest graduates high school this spring.

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Russ I'm 59 My youngest daughter "we have 3" is a soph in college.I have free time at this point in my like to play guitar several hrs a day.Before this however I had very little time for much of anything for myself.My wife is handicapped and I was the caregiver for her as well as the girls.Nothing like standing in victorias secret buying underware for a 13 yr old girl.Not sure which one of us was more embarrased.But we do what we have to to make it work.The reason why I telling my story to you is that dreams and accomplishments don't come easy.Stick with it .Keep fighting for your dream.Try to enjoy the journey as it unfolds. We never know how much time we have.My advise look to the future but live for today.Good health and good blues to you. [smiley=beer.gif]

Sorry I have a habit of jumping in on a thread and not fully reading the start of the post. I wholeheartedly agree that the bgu forum is a great place with awesome people.This forum has helped me in my guitar playing in uncountable ways.from sublte to very obvious.Would just like to say thanks to all our mrmbers new and old.

Russ

Blues Newbie
I wholeheartedly agree that the bgu forum is a great place with awesome people.This forum has helped me in my guitar playing in uncountable ways.from subtle to very obvious.Would just like to say thanks to all our members new and old.

And to those new to posting their lessons: Don't give up when you think you've ACED a lesson, just because someone says, "You'll do better next time", or anything else like that. Remember that you're gonna need a tough skin to play in front of other people, and this can be a beginning to your "thickening up". Remember, YOU are the one who needs to be happy with the way you play.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I wholeheartedly agree that the bgu forum is a great place with awesome people.This forum has helped me in my guitar playing in uncountable ways.from subtle to very obvious.Would just like to say thanks to all our members new and old.

And to those new to posting their lessons: Don't give up when you think you've ACED a lesson, just because someone says, "You'll do better next time", or anything else like that. Remember that you're gonna need a tough skin to play in front of other people, and this can be a beginning to your "thickening up". Remember, YOU are the one who needs to be happy with the way you play.

Great point Russ and great attitude too.
We had a discussion here a while back about if it's appropriate to critique or make improvement suggestions on the forum. I was in the camp that said "If you put it out there, you are requesting a critique". We should ALWAYS be positive, honest and up beat in our comments. They are/should only be intended to help. Never to cut down.
I hope that's how anything I've said is taken.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie

We had a discussion here a while back about if it's appropriate to critique or make improvement suggestions on the forum. I was in the camp that said "If you put it out there, you are requesting a critique". We should ALWAYS be positive, honest and up beat in our comments. They are/should only be intended to help. Never to cut down.

In my short time with BGU, I've only read positive comments. Even when I've asked for a little bashing.
I'm with ya on this Mike, I know I can come across as aloof or as a know-it-all, but nothing I've ever said is meant that way. I just enjoy trying to be helpful... 'trying' being the key work here.  [smiley=beer.gif]

wgabree

Blues Newbie

In my short time with BGU, I've only read positive comments. Even when I've asked for a little bashing.
I'm with ya on this Mike, I know I can come across as aloof or as a know-it-all, but nothing I've ever said is meant that way. I just enjoy trying to be helpful... 'trying' being the key work here.  [smiley=beer.gif]

I'm in the middle my second year here and have been a moderator since last September; one place I've NEVER seen issues is in the recorded lesson's area.

I really feel that people here want each other to succeed at this guitar playing thing.  All criticism has been totally constructive and helpful.

The Lounge is a whole other ball game  :eek:

;)

Russ

Blues Newbie
I've been rereading posts here and there. Just wanted the newer members to remember you're not alone.

For instance: One of our members once posted that he was having a hard time with an easy U-tube posted strum pattern. When I checked out the video link, I had to comment back to him and basically said, "Holy crap! If that's an easy pattern, I'm screwed." He later posted he was relieved the pattern was hard for others as well.

I've posted every one of the lessons, either with audio or video. I've thickened my skin as far as comments go. Even when I think I've aced a lesson, someone always says you'll do better the more you play it. That's OK by me. I want to know the truth. (Besides, sometimes I do attribute it to taste and equipment quality.) The next person plays the same lesson and it sounds like they just picked up a guitar yesterday, but they get reviews like they're a rock star. Stop your thought process right there! I'm actually not crying. I'm just attempting to help people understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  :eek: That's what this forum is all about (besides Griff's outrageously awesome teaching techniques).

P.S. Check the date of the last post on any given subject. If it's older than a month or more than 1 page, you may want to read the whole thread before commenting. What I mean is if you're aware of the whole thread, your comment or question will be understood and answered faster.

I'm glad to see the forum numbers growing every day.
Good luck and good strumming  :)

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Russ I reread this thread because of your recent post on it. I have to say I have grown as a guitar player because of Griffs teaching and the information I have gotton on the BGU forum. I feel I have also grown as a person because of this forum also. The interaction with others from all over the world and different walks of life has been an awakening for me. I'm proud to be a member of this forum and I look forward to making new friends as well as staying in touch with the ones I hqve made already.  Good blues to all you forum members

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
The next person plays the same lesson and it sounds like they just picked up a guitar yesterday, but they get reviews like they're a rock star

Russ, I'm probably the biggest "offender", clearly guilty of the above case.
It's a fine line between encouragement and constructive criticism.
When it's clear to me that someone has "just picked up" a guitar, I try to lean more towards the encouragement side. After all no one is expecting a brand new person to play well or really even be able to digest and act on a critique.
I assume that people that have been playing longer want help identifying the areas where they need work ( to me that's one of the strengths of this forum). I apologize if I've ever offended anyone. My critiques are ALWAYS with the players improvement in mind and NEVER meant to be mean. I'm confident that others feel the same.

Your reminders to new players that they are not alone is a great idea. New guitarists need to know that every single guitar player started EXACTLY where they are right now. Struggling to play a clean chord, fighting barre chords, worried that their fingers are too short, too fat, too weak... Now here's the good/bad news: It never ends. There's always the next hurdle. Trying to hit each bend exactly right, trying to play 16th notes at 160bpm, trying to come up with a creative and unique solo...
This guitar thing is a never ending learning opportunity and we all have to accept that it's a long road and that, ability wise, some of us drive a Yugo(me) and some drive a Ferrari(Griff). The important thing is that we are enjoying the trip.

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
           Like Russ said : "You are the only one who needs to be happy with the way you play."

[glow=yellow,2,300]PERIOD. !!![/glow]

Russ

Blues Newbie
Thanks A B. Yeah Mike, I agree with the fine line thing. I'm having a lot of wrist pain from previous injuries. The bar chords really test the stamina of my left wrist which has had the most damage. I'm now able to play the learner's version of Straight down 6th up to 3 times before I can't take the pain anymore. I know I don't have to crush the guitar neck, but just trying to get a few strings to sound clean is coming along slowly. Since I'm only 3 weeks away from 42 years old, I figured there are many other people older than myself who may be having similar pains as is common with arthritis, etc..
I appreciate the "pushing the better players" thing. In many things I've learned, people have treated me like that, knowing I could do better and I've appreciated it (as I said). I grew up in a situation where if it wasn't done right the first time, I got a steel toed boot in my back side, so I just want to keep bringing up our positive reinforcement that we all share.  :)

Besides, sometimes its good to have a "screw U. I like how I do it" attitude. Otherwise, everyone would play the same and there wouldn't be so many genres of music.  :cool:

Justatele

Blues Newbie
I switched from left handed to right handed because of problems with my thumb. You can deal with the problems the way you choose. but find a way to either overcome and advance or use it as an excuse to not get any better.