USE THE BGU FORUM AS A MENTOR

Russ

Blues Newbie
As enjoyable as I find this hobby, I sit here having to calm myself this evening. I'm trying to do a final cut of Full Out Blues and I've screwed up at least 9 video attempts. I had to start thinking, "Geesh man, relax. It's not like your life depends on it." I had to put the guitar away for tonight. The more I tried, the worse I got. I just get too hard on myself. So I'll spend a few minutes looking over other posts and hit it again tomorrow. :)

henryj

Blues Newbie
Some of the guys where I am working tried to get a video of me practicing.  I believe the infared range finder on the camera messes with your neuro system.  I might as well have been wearing boxing gloves.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
You guys are not alone, I find it nearly as hard as playing in front of someone :)

One good thing about sound only recording is just leaving it running until you get a take you can live with then edit the rest out.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Yeah, I finally got some hardware to work for me,but it picks up every little screw up. I'll talk about it in Gear cuz I don't want this thread moved.

The whole point is that we need to just chill out and relax when things are not going our way. Remember, using the BGU forum to learn things is the whole reason its here. Other people are or did go through the same things and are willing to share their experience to help us all.  ;)

Russ

Blues Newbie
Currently, I'm workin' on "Muddy A Blues". For the life of me, I couldn't get the muting to go my way what so ever. I stopped using my acoustic because I don't care for the tin can sound I get now that I put electric stings on it. It was something I've always wanted to try. Well, now that I got that out of my system, I think I'll put acoustics back on it. I've got a set with a high "e" missing, so I'll just use the electric e and B until they brake.
Anyway, I couldn't get muting to work with the electric guitars, even using my left pinky and right palm. The 2nd time I tried the acoustic with this lesson, I got it to work just fine.
Just a little encouragement for the total beginners. If something's not working, try a different method and don't forget to use the videos and play along CD's and DVD's.

L

Lame_Pinkey

Russ do you mean the muting in the...err wait let me find the damn book, here 'tis - in the 3rd measure on the A7 chord ?If so then there are 2 ways - well theres more but i stick with 2 - to do it.1st way is muting with strumming hand, this requires a fast strum & mute simultaneously ( or at the seme time even  ;D ) & is usually abit heavy - not the sound associated with here.2nd way - & easier - is to use your little finger of fretting hand & bring it up to rest over the strings ( not depressing them ) then strum.
See how that goes.

LP

Russ

Blues Newbie
LP, I put almost no effort into it on the acoustic and I can do it with ease. The electric is where all the effort is needed but honestly, I'll probably finish this lesson with the acoustic. I've tried your ways and just can't get the electrics to stop ringing out. I mean, is there a certain level of ringing noise that's acceptable or does it have to be completely muted like the acoustic? My electrics act like they thrive when I try to mute. Too soft or taught and its like they find the octive or something.

L

Lame_Pinkey

If the pinky ( fretting hand ) is completely across the strings then you may need to release the fingers holding the chord - keep them in place just don't hold them to the fretboard.
You may also find that your pinky is depressing the 1st string abit this will just be a trial & error thing.the only other possibility is you are hitting a harmonic somehow.

LP

Russ

Blues Newbie
Yeah, trial, error, error, error, error, rrrr practice, practice, practice  ;D
Yeah, I don't get the harmonic thing because I thought that was only at the 12th fret, but it sure rings. I guess I'm just using the correct wrong amount of pressure.

Oh well, time to go take my mind off it with some family time before the kid's week starts.
Later man.  ;)

smeg

Blues Newbie
I just saw a vid with some dude talking about natural and artificial harmonics. He stated that the natural harmonics are on the 12th, 5th and 3rd frets................sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He played all three and they sounded"harmonical" :eek:.....Watching him make artificial harmonics was pretty impressive  ;)

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
As enjoyable as I find this hobby, I sit here having to calm myself this evening. I'm trying to do a final cut of Full Out Blues and I've screwed up at least 9 video attempts. I had to start thinking, "Geesh man, relax. It's not like your life depends on it." I had to put the guitar away for tonight. The more I tried, the worse I got. I just get too hard on myself. So I'll spend a few minutes looking over other posts and hit it again tomorrow. :)

Russ, I think your problem lies in the fact that you are SO ultra-aware of the fact that you are recording to post here... and that's what's putting you off.

Instead of doing a dozen separate 'takes', each of which turns out to be a 'failed' recording (leaving you with an increasing sense of failure each time!) why not try a method I use quite successfully:

I turn on 'Audacity' and hit the record button at the start of a practice session and just PRACTICE; I play a dozen or so versions of a given piece... or even more! And then I pick the best recording to post! Because it's not for a 'special' purpose it's much easier to produce respectable playing and all you have to do then is pick the best one and post it!

It works for me, anyway; best of luck to you if you try it!

Cheers!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Russ

Blues Newbie
Hey Smeg, can you post that link for us? I'll PM you incase you don't come back to the thread.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I just saw a vid with some dude talking about natural and artificial harmonics. He stated that the natural harmonics are on the 12th, 5th and 3rd frets................sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He played all three and they sounded"harmonical" :eek:.....Watching him make artificial harmonics was pretty impressive  ;)

There are more than those available and actually, the easiest are 5th,7th & 12th fret (3rd & 9th are harder).

Here's some info:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/harmonics.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_harmonics

smeg

Blues Newbie
Here it is....I was mistaken. He mentions 12th,7th and 5th(not 3rd) at the beginning......

http://www.andreasguitaruniverse.com/lesson/140

If it aint on the 12th fret then its WAY over my head  :eek: