US compared to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Not trying to be political either ,,,but i wonder how many americans actually wonder why if its such a splendid counrtry that most of the rest of the world even its allies dont particularly like it ,,,especially these days
IMO, it's because the rest of the world has never lived here. All they see of the US is from Hollywood.
Do Americans know as much as they should about the rest of the world? I can tell you unequivocally NO.
From my admittedly microscopic view of the rest of the world (I've only been to a few other countries), I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

TerryH

Blues Newbie
I think that’s the way most of us feel about where we live, Mike. It would be rather sad if we didn’t.

Even people who flee desperate situations - war, famine, etc. still dream of their homeland. Patriotism is a good thing, it only turns into nationalism when people start hating everybody else. I think I might be getting too serious here:).

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I'm still mad about it.
I don't even watch baseball any more.

I have to, I know it's almost over but I can't watch football anymore, it's politically incorrect which ever way you look at it. NASCAR is nearly done for the season also. I sure hope the Sacramento Kings have a good year

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ice Hockey is the only sport worth watching these days. (Not that I was ever a big fan of any other sport). For me it's always been hockey or music.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It's not Ice Hockey Mike. Just Hockey.;)
I agree Terry, but in my early 50's after a LONG layoff I decided to try "Hockey" again, but tried Roller Hockey. After two seasons I almost decided to hang them up, but figured "why not try it on ice again for one last hurrah". I played HOCKEY until I was 61 when I decided that between my knees, hips and too many young guns it was time to REALLY hang them up.
Probably a good decision. My knees feel great and my hips are not as bad as they used to be.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
When our son Brian, was a kid, he took up street hockey - ice hockey on roller blades. Then he went to ice hockey, and played goalie. When he played baseball in school, he played catcher. I still give him a bad time when I say, "oh, you are going to play target"! It has been several years since he played goalie (he plays ice hockey at least two times a week) and tonight the team goalie is out so Brian is going to be "The Target"!

Sometimes the league he is in gets to play at the SAP rink, where the San Jose Sharks play. That is fun to watch. Brian is 39 and still at it. We always pray he does not get injured. Some players love to hurt others. They make a practice of it. When you play for fun and exercise, that can be your reward. A broken bone, or serious injury. Loose a few teeth, or end up in the hospital. Amateur sports can be dangerous.

Tom

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I think you will find Hockey is played on grass:rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

Not to mention floor hockey.

Okay so since this thread is related to comparisons between countries, in Canada hockey is just hockey, nobody has to say ice hockey. :cool:

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
But if you Canadians play the game on grass (I’m sure it’s done), what do you call it then ? Grass hockey ?

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
In the good ol' USofA I think "grass hockey" is called "field hockey". I imagine our American neighbors to the north use something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.