Upcoming Session on Sibelius | First

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Griff has scheduled a session in July about Sibelius | First.
It is a scaled back version of Sibelius, which @Griff uses for pretty much everything he commits to musical notation. For anyone interested, it is a free download from Avid. Obviously they are hoping you'll make enough use of it to warrant upgrading to one of their paid versions. But from what I've seen of it so far, the free version should provide enough flexibility for most of us in the forum to write music or transcribe solos, etc.
Did I mention it is FREE?

Here's the link to give you a quick overview of the product. On the page is a link for the free download. Avid is going to want some information from you in exchange for their free product, so it's up to you as to whether you want to provide it. For me it was a no-brainer, as they already have my information since I own and have registered my Eleven Racks with them.

https://www.avid.com/sibelius-first

This gives you a little time to tinker around with it and have some questions that @Griff can answer about the product when he holds the webinar.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Um, I couldn't figure out how to enter tab or bend a note. I'm so pathetically attached to GP7

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Um, I couldn't figure out how to enter tab or bend a note. I'm so pathetically attached to GP7
I probably shouldn't answer since Griff will cover it, but, that never stopped me before :)

Mike, Sibelius is a composers and publisher/typesetters tool and not so much a guitarists tool so its workflow is geared to composers and typesetters. It is flexible enough that guitarists can use it but it probably won't be very intuitive (like it would be for someone who does typesetting or composes movie scores, for instance).

Anyway, to enter music via tablature you have to insert at "tab" instrument when you create the score, or by using the "add or remove instrument" button. It gives you choices for notation or tab guitars:

tab.jpg

You can also enter notes onto a score using a diagram of a guitar neck (which works both ways, as a composer you can put notes on the staff and see if it is possible to actually finger the chord :) ) The easiest way to get the fretboard widget is to type <alt><ctrl> E (or on the Mac <option><command> E)

fretboard.jpg

For bends and vibrato and stuff the keyboard shortcut is the "L" key, which brings up the Lines menu. You can see on the picture above I notated a little grace note on D with a bend up to the E on the "Lead" guitar staff.

Screenshot-2019-07-01-14-07-37.png

Good luck. GP is much more guitarist friendly at the start. Sibelius will work fine once you get the workflow down.

Hope that helps. I am sure Griff will cover it.

Eric

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Interesting. I’ll watch the session (probably after the fact) but the simple stuff I do is handled adequately by GP7. :confused:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Interesting. I’ll watch the session (probably after the fact) but the simple stuff I do is handled adequately by GP7. :confused:
If I’m only doing guitar, especially a single guitar score I just use GP6, myself. (Never upgraded for some reason). For multi-instrument compositions a full notation tool seems to work better for me.

Eric

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Seems like it makes things MUCH harder to do, but then I've been using GP for YEARS.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Seems like it makes things MUCH harder to do, but then I've been using GP for YEARS.
Yeah, probably from your point of view, it is harder. I started with Sibelius and it took a little adjustment to use GP when I first got it. Each is a tool best at what and who it was designed for. Technically speaking GuitarPro is a tab editor and Sibelius is notation software. Each can do the other but I find it easier to pick the tool for the job you'd like to accomplish.

YMMV, of course :)

Eric

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Huh... this might be interesting. My father has used Sibelius for many, many years for both symphonic composition, and it's linked in with his home digital organ. Crazy thing that has a full three-tier keyboard, and pedalboard, and the ability to control things with the various stops as you would with a traditional pipe organ. Requires two high-end computers working in tandem to run the thing and all the software.

Anyway, I'd be able to send simple files to him of what I'm doing.

Cool.