UCW - Get away from the "W" in WCA

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
One thing I'm having trouble with is not writing the time down, but instead reading it back and it's only because of one thing: There doesn't seem to be a standard way to differentiate between a held note and a rest (If you are just looking at the count. Tied notes are put in parens 1+ 2 + (3) + but rests just look like any other note (again if you JUST look at the written down count.
Seem to me the quicker you can stop Writing them down and start reading the time directly from the notes, the better off you will be.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
You may want to come up with a standard for yourself. For example, maybe write a little "R" over rests. And for me, I use the parentheses to show counts that are grouped together. I'm not very religious with it, but it's also not that important...

The MAIN THING BY FAR is that you get the starts of the notes, that's where the clap will happen when you get to that point. Try not to worry a ton about duration right now, just get the notes starting at the right time and you're 99% of the way there.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You may want to come up with a standard for yourself. For example, maybe write a little "R" over rests. And for me, I use the parentheses to show counts that are grouped together. I'm not very religious with it, but it's also not that important...

The MAIN THING BY FAR is that you get the starts of the notes, that's where the clap will happen when you get to that point. Try not to worry a ton about duration right now, just get the notes starting at the right time and you're 99% of the way there.

I was pretty proud of myself because I got to the point where I clapped at the right time about 80%-90% of the time. Then I added trying to play a scale while doing it! UGH! Somewhat less proud now.