types of OD pedals and what's your favorite of each one

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Gear session suggestion. What are the different styles of OD pedals and what's the difference in them all? There are Klon klones, TS types, BluesBreaker embodiments, and the Rat ranks (although that's more of a distortion I guess) just to start with. What are the different main types of OD pedals, and what's the difference in them? TS types are known for their mid-hump. What's distinctive about the others that cause other companies to copy them? And then, what's Griff's fave of each style? And, if ODs can't fill up an hour, branch out to distortions and fuzzes.

snarf

As I was typing it out, I thought it was sounding pretty familiar. I'll also go check Mike's AAP ToC for those sessions and see what I can find. Also, I just posted my underlying question in the Gear section.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
This has been covered a few times although not recently, so with all the new stuff coming along it might be worthy of another look. I would like to see a look at the world of treble boosters, which provided some of my favourite tones back in the day.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I am absolutely the last guy to be an authority on dirt pedals, but to my uneducated ear the dream OD pedal team up is the Wampler Tumnus (Klone) into the BOSS Blues Driver (Blues Breaker?). Those pedals just deliver the rich tonal enhancement that my ears dig. The Tumnus in mainly clean solo boost mode as a kicker into the always-on BD2 that has a nice (but not over-done) level of grit on it.

Like I said: I know nothing, but that pairing sounds good to me.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I am absolutely the last guy to be an authority on dirt pedals, but to my uneducated ear the dream OD pedal team up is the Wampler Tumnus (Klone) into the BOSS Blues Driver (Blues Breaker?). Those pedals just deliver the rich tonal enhancement that my ears dig. The Tumnus in mainly clean solo boost mode as a kicker into the always-on BD2 that has a nice (but not over-done) level of grit on it.

Like I said: I know nothing, but that pairing sounds good to me.
Blues Driver is not BluesBreaker circuit, King of Tone is a good one, Wampler Patheon is another, the Browne Amplification Protein is one side modded BB and one side modded ODR

snarf

That'd be the Nobles ODR. It's the other green OD pedal that sounds super good. Rumor has it that it's the one that a lot of the Nashville cats play. I went through a phase with those about a year or two ago. Bought 4 or 5 versions/copies of it, and ended up trading away all of them but 1 (the Visual Sound Open Road). The Wampler Belle is one of the copies of that one I never tried, but is still on my list to get if I stumble across a really good deal on one.