Two thoughts to share

ToddMartin

Blues Newbie
I've been working through this course, and came up with two things I thought I'd share with the group:

1. I just noticed the "show mp3 player" button below the Lesson Navigation links. I don't know how long that has been there, but I was always mildly bothered in Griff's courses by having to navigate from the lessons back to the Course Content page to use the backing tracks. If it's a new feature, I give it 2 Thumbs Up! If it's been there for a long time and I just now noticed it, then shame on me, but I still give it 2 Thumbs Up!

2. I've come to the realization that a good test of how well you know the licks and the solo is how quickly you can get back in the groove after messing up a lick. I can play through several consecutive loops of rotating the 1st or 2nd licks, but when I eventually screw one up, it usually takes until coming around to the top to get back on track.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Hi Todd. This was one of my favorite courses to help in memorizing licks and making them part of your playing.
What your describing is not unusual. Definitely part of internalizing is to be able to play it at any time. All of the licks in the course start somewhere between the “and” of 3rd beat in one measure and the “and” of 1st beat of following measure, but never on the one!!!

Edit:
4 of the 5 main licks start between "and" of 3 of one measure and before 1st beat of next measure.
The other one (the 1st lick) starts on beat 2.

I believe any of the licks can be played over any chord.
So something that may help for this would to just listen for the next “one” beat and then come in at next opportunity at right spot depending on lick.
-Also, you might want to listen to backing track a few times without playing and get the feel of 1st beat of each measure and chord changes, then place your lick relative to the 1st beat as written.
-Another thing that may help when you get more comfortable:
try playing just on 1 chord, but not immediately at beginning of form, IE wait for top and then wait 1 or 2 measures before playing, don't play on 4 chord and then play again when 1 chord comes back for 2 measures. This will help getting familiar with form and playing the lick when you want to

Good luck and keep at it(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Last edited: