Two grace notes????

K

kimrush

Bar 16 iof solo 2  has what looks like two grace notes, one after the other.

The pattern is:  6 (grace note) 8 (grace note) 6 (quarter note).

It kind of looks like a hammer on pull-off combination.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

L

Lame_Pinkey

Yes it is a hammer/pull off combo & next it is a hammer.

LP

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Yeah I play it like a triplet tweedlie type thing. Not sure if it's just a misprint or that's how it's supposed to be, but it's pretty easy to figure out I think by listening to the recording and playing around with it. Otherwise, do what you want with it, free lick to really make your own!  ;D

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
I think there's only one grace-note in that solo (don't have the book here) and it's toward the beginning with a 6 - 8 grace note on the G string I believe. Griff notates a grace note with a smaller print font for the first note then hammered into the second note which is full size font. If it doesn't look like that, then it's just a hammer on pull off (or "tweedlie").

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Sure enough - page 55, measure 16, 2 grace notes leading into the "second" beat (it's in 12/8 so there are 4 beats made of 3 eighth notes).

The easy way to confirm a grace note is to add up the note values for the measure without counting the grace notes.  It the measure is complete, you've got grace notes.  Grace notes don't count for time value - that's why they're called "grace" notes.  (the notation would look awful if you did! gracious I'm glad there are grace notes!)

:cool:

Schnook

Blues Newbie
See, that's why I covered my  butt by pointing out that I didn't have the book with me  ;D

You're just used to keeping a book in the seat of your pants from school!  ;D ;D ;D