Transcribe this!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Are you kidding?!? That's Miles Davis. I'm not sure any of us are high enough on the cool-and-hip-scale to listen to that, let alone to try and transcribe it.

Kidding aside, I don't think I could transcribe that in my wildest dreams. Miles is the man! I listen to him occasionally while I'm working. I can zone out to it and get stuff done or stop and listen closely to it and appreciate the music Or I can sit back in my chair, stare off into space,and pretend that I'm Maynard G Krebbs.. He and his players are amazeballs!! Those cats knew where it was at.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Picking out the notes would be tedious and time consuming for sure, but not impossible.
If one were trying to transcribe for guitar, it would never sound the same, but there are some lines in there that would still be useful (for stealing), adapted to guitar.
Miles makes such great use of the technique that is unique to the trumpet - things that cannot be duplicated well on a guitar or any other instrument. This is one of the tell tale traits of a master of any instrument.
Similarly, there are many guitar solos that would be impossible to make sound good on a trumpet, or many other instruments.
I do believe that there can be great value in transcribing some of the solos played on other instruments and adapting them to guitar. A lot can be learned that way. Sax players tend to play lines more akin to what one might play on guitar than trumpet players generally do.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I do believe that there can be great value in transcribing some of the solos played on other instruments and adapting them to guitar. A lot can be learned that way.
I have heard stories about some of the great modern classical guitar players and how they would study under a cello player or trumpet player or some other instrument's instructor rather than a guitar teacher. Since each instrument has its own voice and idiosyncrasies studying them can be adapted into making you a more versatile, balanced, and interesting player. At this stage, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the guitar does. :ROFLMAO:

Btw - Thanks for the link, David. You made it an all Miles afternoon.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I like some forms of Jazz, but never liked Miles Davis. Perhaps it was his attitude and drug addiction that influenced my feelings towards him. I remember in an interview he was asked: "What do you think about Louis Armstrong"? Miles replied: "He never did nothin"! A man of such awareness. But then that was Miles Davis. :confused:

Tom

david moon

Attempting the Blues
There are certainly some trumpet -specific techniques, but also a lot of bends, grace notes, and just crazy scales/modes that could be emulated

WarrenHummel

Blues Newbie
Are you kidding?!? That's Miles Davis. I'm not sure any of us are high enough on the cool-and-hip-scale to listen to that, let alone to try and transcribe it.

Kidding aside, I don't think I could transcribe that in my wildest dreams. Miles is the man! I listen to him occasionally while I'm working. I can zone out to it and get stuff done or stop and listen closely to it and appreciate the music Or I can sit back in my chair, stare off into space,and pretend that I'm Maynard G Krebbs.. He and his players are amazeballs!! Those cats knew where it was at.
Hi I think it is very sad that this society we live in has a problem with the color of your skin, I have been listening to alot of rhtyem and blues as of late and these guitars players they still amaze me , they were just so good. Warren

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Not sure how the color of skin got involved here. Musically, jazz (in all its various forms) evolved from the blues. And the linked tune is titled "Bluing". Just listen to the trumpet riff just after 1:50 and think "where the hell did that come from?"

I was just pointing out how hard (maybe impossible?) it might be to transcribe some of these licks. OG Blues had a good point it might be useful to try adapting to the guitar.

ChicagoCharlie

Blues Newbie
Glad to learn that there are some jazz fans on the board.

Here is a radio station out of Memphis, Tn.

https://www.memphis.edu/wumr/onair/index.php

Everything from so-so programs to some awesome straight ahead jazz on Monday nites. Here is one of their programs - a very unique and easy to listen, out of NYC - Anything Goes!

And yes, I must agree Miles Davis made some incredible records and well worth a listen. And transcribing his stuff is beyond me.

If some of you are still interested in traveling down this path ....... Would like to mention another great jazz musician. Please tip your hat and throw a couple of bucks in the tip jar for the band and the guy on sax who once said that his life's ambition was to sound like a dry martini.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVwkRU-iYg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

By the way, the drummer was totally blind by the time these were performed.

Here,for you jazz fans, here is the whole album. Go thorough it and gave the band your full attention. If you are good enough, pick out the time signatures of the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaAwmcriWd0

david moon

Attempting the Blues
But those nerdy white guys were engaged in cultural appropriation :sneaky: Jazz and also "world music" that they heard while touring.

Your last link just went to another Take Five

Maybe you meant "Time Out" from 1959. To my ear the first song is not in 9 but is in 8 but subdivided 1 2 1 2 1 2 1&2