TRADING FOURS

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Just a quick question on this. Griff plays the first 4 bars (1-4), I play rhythm, then am I supposed to play back bars 4-8 and then Griff goes back to 8-12? Or do I just play back 1-4, 4-8, 8-12, ( My version)when he hands off? A bit of a confusing question, but I just watched the first video, and I was a bit confused on how this works... Just need a little enlightenment! Thanks...

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Just a quick question on this. Griff plays the first 4 bars (1-4), I play rhythm, then am I supposed to play back bars 4-8 and then Griff goes back to 8-12? Or do I just play back 1-4, 4-8, 8-12, ( My version)when he hands off? A bit of a confusing question, but I just watched the first video, and I was a bit confused on how this works... Just need a little enlightenment! Thanks...
Wherever the progression is at, when it's your turn, you are supposed to add your own solo riff. It's not about repeating what Griff did.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I was just messing around with this last night, though I haven't really done the lessons part yet. But, yes, you are supposed to play back "something like Griff played" in each of the 4 bars he doesn't play. I probably need to watch the video, but basically you play lead when he's not (and the screen turns color!).
In another post, @Paleo , laid out a very detailed explanation about how to approach it.
My guess is that it gets confusing about what to play because Griff actually tabs out the stuff he plays, but in reality, you don't really play what he plays, you do your own "response" to his "call." (I really should read the lessons!)

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Thanks RR.. jmin do you have a link to that Paleo post, or where he posted it? Thanks, guys.
Just looking to get it straight before I dive into this weekend...

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@zwantedone Previous discussion can be found here:

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/griffs-trading-fours-course.25220/

Prior to each jam Griff explains the scales and patterns he's going to use.

You will trade off every 4 bars.

As he plays the first 4 bars you are listening and watching so you can play something "similar" for the next 4.

You won't play exactly the same thing, because you will be at a different place in the progression.

(Or maybe you can play exactly the same thing, depending on what he plays.)

Then he'll be playing the V and the turnaround for the last 4 in the first chorus and you'll actually be starting the next one.

It's kind of weird because his parts are already all recorded and you follow him regardless of the position in the progression.

That's the "solving musical problems" he talks about in the intro and "...that's all part of the fun."

So you always follow him, trading off every 4 bars, and you try to play something that "makes sense" based on what he plays, your prior knowledge and where you are in the progression.

Afterward, if you want to go back and see exactly what he played, he has provided transcriptions.

Last edited:

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Paleo, Thank you for your response! I watched the video again, and kind of figured it out. At least I think I did. I am hoping to at least give it a try today. Maybe just start with playing the rhythm part over Griffs soloing, and progress to the trading 4 solo. Looking forward to it. Thank you again...Will
P.S.) If I have any more questions, can I PM you?

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Thanks again, Paleo. I know I can message Griff, but I am sure he has enough to deal with! Always nice to converse with fellow members, though...Will