Interfaces Topic Suggestion: Recording oursleves

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
This may be a follow on to webinar on load boxes and attenuators. Towards the end you (Griff) talked about how you record many of the things we see/hear: tube amp to attenuator to powered PA to cabinet simulator. Maybe you could expand on that a bit? Presently if I want to record myself I either use my basic Zoom H1 recorder or my wife's smartphone. I'm playing through my tube amp and usually either a backing track or some other software (Song Surgeon or Band in a Box) and it's tough to get the right volume levels from the amp and the sounds coming from my PC speakers. I'd like to jump up my ability to record a notch or two but not looking for absolute perfection as my playing doesn't warrant it. Could you discuss what might be some options?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Download reaper or another DAW ( reaper asks you to pay, but it is free, you just wait until the 5 second countdown is done..........they do not cripple the software)

A disclaimer, I chose to pay for it as I thought since I use it, its the correct thing to do. Also, brand new, a Tascam us-1200 usb for $120 is an awesome recording unit, very easy to use, and can multi track up to 6 devices if need be. You can get very clean recordings by USB into your computer.

And for this small investment, it can grow with you over time

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
Download reaper or another DAW ( reaper asks you to pay, but it is free, you just wait until the 5 second countdown is done..........they do not cripple the software)

A disclaimer, I chose to pay for it as I thought since I use it, its the correct thing to do. Also, brand new, a Tascam us-1200 usb for $120 is an awesome recording unit, very easy to use, and can multi track up to 6 devices if need be. You can get very clean recordings by USB into your computer.

And for this small investment, it can grow with you over time
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the response and the suggestions. I will check them out.

Paul W

Blues Newbie
Hey guys - I have used hardware recorders, multi-track systems and DAWs with real amps and microphones.
However, with the loudness and set-up that requires to get to the point of "just recording" I made a change earlier this year.
I got a Line6 Amplifi TT (Xmas gift cards but discounted to $120, open box) - which now acts as amp, microphone AND USB audio interface.
I am using Audacity. I download the jam track and import into Audacity, then I record the guitar (amp, pedals, speaker cab, microphone) and then I can manipulate the levels afterward.
The nice thing is that I can plug in the phones and practice at "zero" volume.

Just remember that the latency of the USB output/input needs to be calculated and entered into Audacity so that the Jam Track and your playing are "sync-ed".

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This may be a follow on to webinar on load boxes and attenuators. Towards the end you (Griff) talked about how you record many of the things we see/hear: tube amp to attenuator to powered PA to cabinet simulator. Maybe you could expand on that a bit? Presently if I want to record myself I either use my basic Zoom H1 recorder or my wife's smartphone. I'm playing through my tube amp and usually either a backing track or some other software (Song Surgeon or Band in a Box) and it's tough to get the right volume levels from the amp and the sounds coming from my PC speakers. I'd like to jump up my ability to record a notch or two but not looking for absolute perfection as my playing doesn't warrant it. Could you discuss what might be some options?
I'm a little late to this discussion so, not sure if you've got an answer to your question.
This topic pops up quite often and I try to provide a bit of advise if I can.

Excuse me if I start out with very basics, because I have no way of knowing what you're knowledge level is.

So, here goes my 2 cents:

These days there are two primary techniques to recording your music at home.

1- Digital Self Contained Recorders
When I say self contained, they usually include the capture devise (microphone) and the recording software.
You've got some experience with those because your Zoom and your phone are both digital recorders.
The benefits of those include simplicity & portability.
The downside is you need to get it right on the way in, which takes some practice and may still result in unsatisfactory results.

2- Computer Based Recording
In this case the recording software is called a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).
The capture device can be a microphone or a direct signal from your source (vocals or instrument).
Using DAW software in you computer usually requires an additional piece of equipment called an auidio interface.
The audio interface converts the signal from your guitar or vocals into a digital signal that your computer/ DAW can recognize.

The upside of recording into your computer with an interface and a DAW is, that you have more control over what's coming in, as well as the ability to adjust, correct and enhance the recording after it's captured.
That includes volume, EQ, and effects adjustments which can result in professional sounding recordings in your home.
The down side is, there's some additional expense and an a learning curve.

Most professional studios use this approach and it's the most popular way to go for home recording.

A bit more........
Let's start with the source, which is most typically vocals and or guitar.
To capture good vocals you'd need a decent mic.
Although there are several types of mics and prices that range from $25 - $25,000, if asked what should be my first mic my answer would be either a SM 58 or SM 57,
Either will do well in front of an amp.
The 58 is slightly better for vocals because it has a built in pop filter screen.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?items=(SM58,SM57)

Next comes the audio interface:
You plug the mic into that and use it for vocals or use the mic in front of your amp.
The interface will have a instrument in jack which will also allow you plug directly in without an amp.
Here again, there is wide range of equipment available but, there's no need to spend lots of money.
One of the distinguishing features is the number of inputs/channels the unit may have.
Most home recording can be done with a very simple one channel unit, however I always suggest that folks start with a unit that has two inputs like these.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?items=(ScarlettSoloG2,AudioBoxUSB96)

So now you're making music and your plugged into an interface.
The interface will be plugged into your computer but, you still need the recording/editing software called a digital audio workstation (DAW).
That's the guts and brains behind making good recordings.
The good new there is, one of the most popular DAWs is a free download.
It is called Audacity and many people on the forum use it so, getting help from the BGU group is a great advantage.
https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
Additionally, quite frequently when you purchase an audio interface, it will come with a free version of a DAW.
Most professionals use Pro Tools.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c699--DAW_Software?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCcmFuZCI6WyJBdmlkIl19fQ

I'm not sure if that helps.
When I read your original post, you where asking about Griff's recording setup.
From what I understand here's what I think you where referring to:

In the above I mentioned that you could plug directly into an audio interface to record your guitar.
Some folks, myself included prefer to use tube amps which are notoriously loud for home use.
So, using an attenuator helps tame the volume that comes through the speaker.
In that case to record the amp you would place a mic in front of it.
Some attenuators have a line or record out jack which allows you to completely silence the speaker and send the amp tone directly into the audio interface.
Although that's possible, many people dislike that tone, because it misses the tonal elements that the speaker, cabinet and mic may add to the sound.
To compensate for that, some attenuators have speaker/cabinet simulation software built in, that adds back the tone from the missing components.
I believe I've heard Griff say he uses one of the Two Notes units:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1117--Attenuators_and_Simulators

Last edited:

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
I'm a little late to this discussion so, not sure if you've got an answer to your question.
This topic pops up quite often and I try to provide a bit of advise if I can.

Excuse me if I start out with very basics, because I have no way of knowing what you're knowledge level is.

So, here goes my 2 cents:

These days there are two primary techniques to recording your music at home.

1- Digital Self Contained Recorders
When I say self contained, they usually include the capture devise (microphone) and the recording software.
You've got some experience with those because your Zoom and your phone are both digital recorders.
The benefits of those include simplicity & portability.
The downside is you need to get it right on the way in, which takes some practice and may still result in unsatisfactory results.

2- Computer Based Recording
In this case the recording software is called a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).
The capture device can be a microphone or a direct signal from your source (vocals or instrument).
Using DAW software in you computer usually requires an additional piece of equipment called an auidio interface.
The audio interface converts the signal from your guitar or vocals into a digital signal that your computer/ DAW can recognize.

The upside of recording into your computer with an interface and a DAW is, that you have more control over what's coming in, as well as the ability to adjust, correct and enhance the recording after it's captured.
That includes volume, EQ, and effects adjustments which can result in professional sounding recordings in your home.
The down side is, there's some additional expense and an a learning curve.

Most professional studios use this approach and it's the most popular way to go for home recording.

A bit more........
Let's start with the source, which is most typically vocals and or guitar.
To capture good vocals you'd need a decent mic.
Although there are several types of mics and prices that range from $25 - $25,000, if asked what should be my first mic my answer would be either a SM 58 or SM 57,
Either will do well in front of an amp.
The 58 is slightly better for vocals because it has a built in pop filter screen.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?items=(SM58,SM57)

Next comes the audio interface:
You plug the mic into that and use it for vocals or use the mic in front of your amp.
The interface will have a instrument in jack which will also allow you plug directly in without an amp.
Here again, there is wide range of equipment available but, there's no need to spend lots of money.
One of the distinguishing features is the number of inputs/channels the unit may have.
Most home recording can be done with a very simple one channel unit, however I always suggest that folks start with a unit that has two inputs like these.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?items=(ScarlettSoloG2,AudioBoxUSB96)

So now you're making music and your plugged into an interface.
The interface will be plugged into your computer but, you still need the recording/editing software called a digital audio workstation (DAW).
That's the guts and brains behind making good recordings.
The good new there is, one of the most popular DAWs is a free download.
It is called Audacity and many people on the forum use it so, getting help from the BGU group is a great advantage.
https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
Additionally, quite frequently when you purchase an audio interface, it will come with a free version of a DAW.
Most professionals use Pro Tools.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c699--DAW_Software?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCcmFuZCI6WyJBdmlkIl19fQ

I'm not sure if that helps.
When I read your original post, you where asking about Griff's recording setup.
From what I understand here's what I think you where referring to:

In the above I mentioned that you could plug directly into an audio interface to record your guitar.
Some folks, myself included prefer to use tube amps which are notoriously loud for home use.
So, using an attenuator helps tame the volume that comes through the speaker.
In that case to record the amp you would place a mic in front of it.
Some attenuators have a line or record out jack which allows you to completely silence the speaker and send the amp tone directly into the audio interface.
Although that's possible, many people dislike that tone, because it misses the tonal elements that the speaker, cabinet and mic may add to the sound.
To compensate for that, some attenuators have speaker/cabinet simulation software built in, that adds back the tone from the missing components.
I believe I've heard Griff say he uses one of the Two Notes units:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1117--Attenuators_and_Simulators
Thanks so much for the fairly detailed response. This is an area that I want to learn more about and I think you provided me with some great information. I get preoccupied with just working through Griff's courses but at some point in time I do need to jump into this. Plus, it gives me an excuse to spend some more money on our great hobby! Thanks again.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks so much for the fairly detailed response. This is an area that I want to learn more about and I think you provided me with some great information. I get preoccupied with just working through Griff's courses but at some point in time I do need to jump into this. Plus, it gives me an excuse to spend some more money on our great hobby! Thanks again.
You are welcome!
Have fun learning.

Ranger

Blues Newbie
Lets say I am recording my playing into a microphone and listening to a backing track at low volume or into a set of headphones. Will Audacity allow me to take my playing and add it to the backing track?

If I can get a setup that works without going crazy, it will keep me from buying a tube amp that has a line out to record.

Last edited:

artyman

Fareham UK
The answer is yes. I use Audacity to record my efforts for the Virtual Jam Room. I suggest you load your backing track into Audacity then you need to input your guitar signal, I use the USB on my Mustang III, but you say your using a microphone, just select that as the input source in Audacity, click the record button and play along. When finished choose export as MP3 (or WAV etc) it should come up with a message about combining tracks ( which is what you want ) pick a filename and away you go.

There will be a bit of latency between playing and the actual recording so make sure you deselect the Playthrough option in Preferences ( ie just listen to yourself through the amp ). I have my latency at -130 milliseconds, Audacity will adjust so that both tracks sync, so you don't end up behind the beat :)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
To add a little to Arty's reply:
The simple answer is YES!

The more detailed answer is:
When you are using a DAW (like Audacity) you can have multiple tracks.

Example -
You import the backing track as track #1.
You can play it, listen to it, make it continuously play over and over ( loop ) and you can make adjustments to volume, EQ etc...

Now you want to play over it and record yourself.
You leave track #1 in place and create a second track for your piece.
You then can listen to track #1, while playing along and recording on track #2.
If you make a mistake, just erase or record over what you just did and track #1 stays untouched.

For all practical purposes the # of tracks you can create is unlimited.
So, as you learn the system, you could create your own backing tracks.
Track 1 Bass Guitar, Track 2 Rhythm, Track 3 lead....and so on.

All DAWs require a bit of learning so, there are a few key strokes and commands you'll need to understand.
Audacity is easier to use then many other more sophisticated programs though.
Many folks here use it so, it's easy to get help from the forum members.

At the risk of making things more complicated, there are ways to get a direct signal from an amp that dose not have it built in.
Those are Load Boxes & Attenuators that have a line out.
With those, you can operate a tube amp silently or reduced volume to bedroom levels.
In either case, you can send your amp tone directly to your interface (no mic).
They range in price from about $200 - $1,200

I won't elaborate unless you need more info on those.

Last edited:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Captain... nice post. Great explanation.

This was new to me re... the load box and attenuators. I wondered why there were a lot of discussions about them but mostly sidestepped them, thinking they were solely to act as a 'Master Volume' for tube amps... that they can also provide input into your computer [I guess I should say computer interface] was new to me...

Thanks for that bit!

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
My current setup is a Behringer UMC-22 audio interface connected by USB to a dedicated laptop (just got a new one for business and repurposed the old one.) The UMC-22 was <$60 on Amazon and comes with a code for a free download of Waveform 8 OEM which is a very nice full featured DAW. There are tons of free plugins for amps, cabs and effects but I like my pedals so I am running them into a Joyo American Sound pedal (~$35 on Amazon) which it's a really nice sounding Fender amp simulator with built in cab sim. It's essentially a clone of the Tech 21 Blonde pedal. Google it! The reviews are off the charts. The output from that goes into the UMC-22. I use the DAW as a silent practice amp using the live monitoring feature to listen through headphones. You can use a recorded track as a looper, or put a looper pedal in the signal chain (I have done both). You can then practice over the loop either with or without recording it. I have only been fiddling with this stuff for a couple of months, but it's a blast. I'm worried my Peavey tube amp is going to collect dust, pathetically since my wife went back to school and my practicing had to be basically silent. LOL!

NOTE: The FocusRite Scarlett Solo is a better spec-ed interface, but it's about double the money.

Elwood

Blues
This is great information. I sure hope it gets easier because this whole recording thing drives me nuts.

Right now I am going from an instrument into my 25r for reverb and OD switching (tones low mids to mid). I come out headphone plug and over to my Rumble 200 input. (Used the gain and master volume carefully to not OD the incoming signal, set tones to my ear here).
Here is the Magic Band... I run the rc-3 on the effects loop (lets me save all my tones and reverb).
At this point I fumble with the looper for a few days adding and loosing tracks 'till my patience is also lost.
Now I import the result into Audacity (def: a willing to take bold risks) and add more tracks that require a mic (have to use my snowball until I can find my sm-58 & EV).
Finally, I use the power of Audacity and fix it 'till it's broke (usually start over a few times) and VIOLA!!! sometimes I send something in.

By the time I'm at it for a while my gozintas and my gozouttas are everywhere. Dogs need to go out, tea is shrieking, and my honeydo turned into "huh? oh that's right, yeah I got it."

I believe if procreation was this cumbersome we would be extinct.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is Garage Band really that easy to use?

You guys are great!

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
As an addendum to my post above, I just bought an AmPlug I/O from Musician's Friend. It must've been a SDOTD, because it was only about $25 and it comes with a coupon for a free download of JamVox, which is like a DAW with a bunch of amps and effects pre-loaded. Or you can install JamVox as a VST plugin into a DAW you're already using! The JamVox download is a $99 value just by itself. The AmPlug I/O, unlike the other AmPlugs which are little headphone practice amps, is a single input audio interface. It connects to your guitar through the jack and connects to your computer via an included USB cable. It's true 24-bit and ultra low latency. It works very well. For the money I paid it's the cheapest audio interface solution available for recording guitar only. If you want to record vocals, I'm not sure there is a way to do it with this thing. Caveat: I just checked Musician's Friend before posting this and the price is back to $59. But keep an eye out because I read that this goes on the SDOTD periodically.

Some things to point out: There are a ton of negative reviews saying 1) it doesn't work, 2) it's very difficult to install and use, 3) the JamVox download is only a 15 day trial version, 4) it doesn't work on Windows 10 - and probably some others I forgot about. Because of the price, I bought it anyway. I have to say that, at least in my experience, NONE of those negative reviews are valid with regard to the product and software as it's being provided currently. There was a business card sized insert in the package which contained a product code for the JamVox with instructions on how to activate it (you download it, install it then open it in Windows and it gives you step by step instructions to activate it with your product code.) Another feature I forgot to mention above is that the little device is also a tuner.

DEW

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
I use IRig HD2 and ASIO4All as the driver on a WIN 10 workstation and have been unable to use it with Audacity. Maybe someone has had success would pass on how they did it.

Amplitude 4 has a built in 8 track recorder and looper. Anyone have success getting a IRig blueboard to work on a WIN 10 machine??

At my skill level Amplitude 4 more than suffices. Have Traction 7 which interfaces with the IRig HD2 but the learning curve is steep.

Probably as a WIN 10 user should have researched a little more before entering the IRig ecosystem.:eek:

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
I use IRig HD2 and ASIO4All as the driver on a WIN 10 workstation and have been unable to use it with Audacity. Maybe someone has had success would pass on how they did it.

Amplitude 4 has a built in 8 track recorder and looper. Anyone have success getting a IRig blueboard to work on a WIN 10 machine??

At my skill level Amplitude 4 more than suffices. Have Traction 7 which interfaces with the IRig HD2 but the learning curve is steep.

Probably as a WIN 10 user should have researched a little more before entering the IRig ecosystem.:eek:
Audacity had a notice on line that ASIO isn't supported because of some copyright issues or something. After blindly upgrading to the latest version it is now unusable on PC, at least for me. Fortunately, my interface came with a code to download a very nice DAW for free, so Audacity is no loss.

Elwood

Blues
So I am trying to record today and I learned two important things...

1) I have no clue what I am doing

2) I may not even really know what you guys are trying to share here (but I begin to suspect I need to learn).

I tried to record a simple thing. My Taylor, using the drummer in the rc3, and a snowball mic for voice. Took me no time at all to realize the interface gizmo that plugs into the guitar, that I really don't like the idea of, may be needed to get a guitar input to the stinking computer without a mic (duh).

This is really tough for me, I want playing to feel good, like well...you know. Not clinical like going for a ... procedure. I never saw anyone play with the little wayback machine plugged in their guitar. Stuff also HAS to sound good (at least to me), that is how I keep going.

Garage Band isnt gonna help is it?

I love playin, you guys are great, right now I feel like the bleeping village idiot.

Iko Iko Unday!!! Happy Fat Tuesday!!!!

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I am with you on 1!

On your second point, I quickly gave up on trying to run the amp sims on my computer because the feel was just not there.

I am now using an Amplifire 6 for the modeling and it has multiple outs. I can run one set to the effects return on an amp and get all the joyous “guitar playing through a real amp” feel, and also run a second set of outputs to my USB interface to record. I can also use headphones instead of the amp and hear the sound of the modeled amp without lag if I want to play after hours.

Still struggling with the recording piece, in part due to my ancient interface and drivers not fully agreeing with Windows 10. I might have to bight the bullet and get a new interface.

Elwood

Blues
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the response, very thoughtful, and I looked up the amplifier 6. 500 dolla and I can see the dent on my forehead already.

I sure like playing.