To look or not to look - that is the question

I

IrishRover

I have noticed when learning new licks I really watch my fingers on both hands to make sure I'm fretting at the right place and picking the right string but after a while I can sometimes get to where my fingers just know where to go and it's possible to do with my eyes closed(just like those 'cool blues faces').  I've heard at different times that you should practice with your eyes closed to speed up that finger memory.  Any opinions?

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Never thought about it.
I have noticed the experts playing and they most always glance down regularly at what they are doing during a performance.
As for becoming faster by not looking I don't have a clue.
Personally I look until I don't need to but most of the time I look.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I mostly don't look unless I have to make a big move (anything outside my 4 finger range). I don't think it makes me any faster, because I'm REALLY slow! Oh,yeah, the other time I stare at the strings is when I'm on video. I just can't look at the lens!
Mike

L

Lame_Pinky

At this early stage in my return to playing I'm looking at the neck mostly (90%) when strumming I may look at pick hand particularly when changing to the IV & V chord just to make sure i'm not hitting unwanted string.We'll see how we are looking in 3 months time.

LP

R

RichC

I think looking at your fingers increases your awareness as to what your fingers are doing (form for chords, position, fly away etc, etc). I also put a mirror on my music stand and watch my fingers:  thats a bit more challanging as it takes a while to get used to. When I am going to transition a bit on the fretboard ( a couple of strings and frets) I always look at the fret I want to land on prior to making the move; it work for me. I guess  when learning I believe anything that will increase my awarness and concentration is a good thing. But once its really under my fingers and I really want to get into it emotionally I just let it happen....but I may still take a quick look.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Brad Paisley and Keith Urban are 2 of the best guitarists on the planet and they watch their hands during solos and harder stuff. I don't think its anything to be ashamed of at all. I do try not to look after about 20-30 attempts at whatever I'm working on just for muscle memory. I try to concentrate on the what position each joint and finger feels like its in. Sometimes, it works. This is another one of those "your foot knows where the speed limit is" muscle memory things. Just gotta find the spot.

B

bplavoie

I've been thinking about this, too, and I've landed in a different place. Somewhere along the line, I got to thinking that if I didn't look, it might take longer to get something worked out, but the muscle memory would be much more 'ingrained'. Because of this, I only look now when I'm switching positions; if I screw up in my current position, I still don't look, but work it out with my fingers until I find the right note. It it helping? Who knows. Doesn't seem to be hurting, though, and I'm getting faster, so there's that.

Still, I'd say 'whatever works'.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Typically at first you'll need to watch the music to make sure you are playing the right notes (at least I do.) Once I have a lick memorized, I most definitely watch my hands to make sure I do it correctly.

The first several times that you play something new are by far the most important. Don't make mistakes then if at all possible. There's no rush to be able to play without looking at your hands, it won't help anything in general.

Oh - and Brad Paisley was about the best concert I've ever seen... amazing guitar playing. He brought Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi) out to jam at the very end after the encore. They played "Walk of Life" by Dire Straits. Brad made him look pitiful, it was sad really. Keith's great too, another show I'd highly recommend if you get the chance.

D

davemoss

Unlike those of us who have a touch of arthritis in the fingers, Griff obviously has the supple fingers of a teenager. I am very aware that if I can learn to play without watching my left hand I won't have to hold the guitar where I can see the strings, which will mean that I can get round those tricky chords and licks much better. I see it as a target, but not a priority.

J

jhagan421

Dave try standing, I shyed away from it for a long time (which is not really a long time as I have only owned a guitar for a 9 months) then I started having pain in my right shoulder and arm (see many other posts) and what little i've been playing is standing so the guitar is not way up in my armpit (see avatar)  It forces the issue of looking at the strings.  I have improved my sense of the strings and where my fingers are, even with very limited practice.