Tippett's Soloing Without Scales

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Just reading the chapters would lead me to say no, Griff's course is based on smaller patterns from root notes and learning when to use minor or major, my issue with books is the y aren't visual enough. I prefer video in addition to the written word for instructional material, helps me bond with it better

caprica

Blues Newbie
Thanks PapaBear

It is a kindle book and only a couple of bucks, so I bought it to take a closer look.

As far as I can see, the gist of the book is you can use any noters around or inside a scale box as long as it sounds good, keeps in time with the groove and your resolve back to one of the chord tones at some point. The book is mainly noodling exercises and a suggestion for an interval ear training app to help develop your ear.

For a book about soloing without scales, the book talks a lot about scales. It is more a book about soloing 'around' scales.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
In the "judging a book by its title" vein, I bought a book when I was about 2 years into learning the guitar called "Improvising without scales". I thought that would be helpful to someone who was not taught scales on guitar. (besides the pentatonic for blues). Well...

It was written by Carl Verheyen for advanced guitarists who learned to play via CST and are in the "expected" rut that Chord Scale Theory boxes guitarists into.

NOT for beginners or intermediates, I can tell you that!

Griff's Soloing without scales is more accessible :)

Eric

caprica

Blues Newbie
In the "judging a book by its title" vein, I bought a book when I was about 2 years into learning the guitar called "Improvising without scales". I thought that would be helpful to someone who was not taught scales on guitar. (besides the pentatonic for blues). Well...

It was written by Carl Verheyen for advanced guitarists who learned to play via CST and are in the "expected" rut that Chord Scale Theory boxes guitarists into.

NOT for beginners or intermediates, I can tell you that!

Griff's Soloing without scales is more accessible :)

Eric

Thanks. Tippet in the front of his book says he had read "improvising without scales" and he felt that Verheyen book was more aimed at someone who knew a lot of scales and chord tones and wanted to break out of the constraints. I still found Tippet still required you to know a lot of scales, so I don't know if he achieved his goal.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've never seen the book, but I did Griff's SWS after I did about half of BGU and SWS opened up my noodle soloing and made it sound like solos.