Tip Ideas, Glossary and Process Flow

Elwood

Blues
The title says it. These would be helpful, especially if we are to communicate.

Glossary - maybe 15 or 20 terms that may be unique, or used with an unfamiliar meaning in S1 Ex. "bounce" "quantize', "normalize", I come across them frequently. Maybe just a bit more that a straight Def. Maybe just a synopsis of usage, a brief when, why, should I. Maybe this is just of value to me, I doubt it.

Process flow. - Suppose you had a member that was making tons of naive process errors that induce problems. Perhaps a simple flow chart type thing like those Fred Astaire floor stickers. This may seem so natural to you that it seems you can't get it wrong...wanna bet? In this case I am not talking about the esoteric art of composing and arranging, just the dark art of recording your madness. Of course we have to do one track at a time, but what does that mean? JUst record a "dry track" and go to the next? I dunno?
Probably need two functional examples, One for the soup and nuts works (what is soup to nuts?) and one for the VJR.

Just a couple of thoughts I had. Whatever you guys are doing is appreciated and very helpful!!!

(Just thinking, if these fall into the category of "do your own work" that's OK too, I don't know sometimes what is good to ask or not, you know?)

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
I hear you.
That could be beneficial.
Thanks Moto! I'm trying to base request type input on stuff that has value to more than myself. I can take "did you have any other dumb ideas today?" with the same inward smile that Papa's emphatic NOOOO! gave me.
This is pretty cool, and I think I do like S1. If we are in this forum, and ever thought about trying it, I don't see a better time coming soon.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
The title says it. These would be helpful, especially if we are to communicate.

Glossary - maybe 15 or 20 terms that may be unique, or used with an unfamiliar meaning in S1 Ex. "bounce" "quantize', "normalize", I come across them frequently. Maybe just a bit more that a straight Def. Maybe just a synopsis of usage, a brief when, why, should I. Maybe this is just of value to me, I doubt it.

Process flow. - Suppose you had a member that was making tons of naive process errors that induce problems. Perhaps a simple flow chart type thing like those Fred Astaire floor stickers. This may seem so natural to you that it seems you can't get it wrong...wanna bet? In this case I am not talking about the esoteric art of composing and arranging, just the dark art of recording your madness. Of course we have to do one track at a time, but what does that mean? JUst record a "dry track" and go to the next? I dunno?
Probably need two functional examples, One for the soup and nuts works (what is soup to nuts?) and one for the VJR.

Just a couple of thoughts I had. Whatever you guys are doing is appreciated and very helpful!!!

(Just thinking, if these fall into the category of "do your own work" that's OK too, I don't know sometimes what is good to ask or not, you know?)

Something like that would be a Godsend!

I bought Studio One 4 a while back and I still haven't tried it out because I simply don't know where to start.

I still use Audacity because -- well, it's Audacity! Simple, intuitive and easy to use.

But I really want to get into more serious recording with Studio One but it's somewhat intimidating and I could really use a "Step 1, Step 2" kind of walkthrough to get started; hell, I don't even know how to import a backing track!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks Moto! I'm trying to base request type input on stuff that has value to more than myself. I can take "did you have any other dumb ideas today?" with the same inward smile that Papa's emphatic NOOOO! gave me.
This is pretty cool, and I think I do like S1. If we are in this forum, and ever thought about trying it, I don't see a better time coming soon.
I need to say this:
The best DAW is the one you can use.
I use Studio One, it may or may not be any better then others but, it's useless if it frustrates you.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
I use Studio One, it may or may not be any better then others but, it useless if it frustrates you.
Kind of ya Moto. Frustrating? I swear almost everything is now days. I believe I could "get done" faster right now in Reaper. I believe I will enjoy the process more once I get a bit more familiar with S1.
I don't mean to nag ya'll with this, but, it occurs to me that I may actually be of some value in the group process. I have a bunch of great teachers, I just have to be a good student and provide feedback that may be useful.
You guys (and Kenny) never were party to the conversations I have had with Kenny Gioia and the other Reaper tutorial guys. They are great, but with this I am a nogoodnik. At least going into S1 I have some idea of what I'm getting in to.
It was not that long ago that I had not even heard of a audio interface, so I am learning. Slowly. With a great deal of help. Thanks!
With me frustration is part of the process, I mean it to be internal, sure not directed at you guys. (I get all frustrated in the process, if it goes well I get a helluva happy dance!:) )
I swear, my computer brain can't play worth beans. I have to get ready, then shake off work brain and play. I guess that must be like Papa's "red light fever", do it until I adapt to the duplicity. (here comes the "f" word...frustration).
Stay with me Moto!

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Audacity! Simple, intuitive and easy to use.
JP, not pullin your chain here. I see folks all the time say Audacity is like that. I believe they have the easiest noise reduction routine I have seen. Other than that I truly believe that product carries the most appropriate name on the market. (I spent time in there and still have my snowball usb mic.) It takes me a great deal of "audacity" to praise it more highly, except it is functional and free. Those are great points.
Not doing a Reaper add here but when I tried the demo of Reaper it felt like...when I try S1. I really believe my time in Reaper was well spent. I wouldn't even know how to ask the questions otherwise.
I'm not urging you to go to Reaper. I just think if you are willing to fall a few times you will really enjoy moving off of Acity. (my opinion guys, not right or wrong). I would sure enjoy another rower in the boat!
The other guys can tell you better but there may be some kind of big change from v4 to v5. I don't know how this would affect your learning.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I still stick with my acoustica mixcraft, they have some of the best tutorials I have seen, and every upgrade has been even more awesome than the next

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
How about we do something like the following: if there's a term you don't know or don't understand, or think should be part of the standard vocabulary, put it here and we'll try and compile a list.

We may find that we need to group the terms into larger categories, but it might be a good reference.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Something like that would be a Godsend!

I bought Studio One 4 a while back and I still haven't tried it out because I simply don't know where to start.

I still use Audacity because -- well, it's Audacity! Simple, intuitive and easy to use.

But I really want to get into more serious recording with Studio One but it's somewhat intimidating and I could really use a "Step 1, Step 2" kind of walkthrough to get started; hell, I don't even know how to import a backing track!

As Papa will attest, I'm mostly in the dark about StudioOne, BUT...
For the really simple stuff that I used to do in Audacity (Drop a backing track, insert a guitar track and record,) S1 is equally easy.

The only real difference that I can see is that in S1, you need to have created a simple template (as Paparaptor discusses in his video), with one track where you will drop a backing track and one set up for your guitar .

Drop a backing track in one, arm the guitar track (Click on the circle & turn it to red) Press the big "Record" circle at the bottom and you should be recording.

Now, editing is another story. it may be because I'm used to doing it in Audacity and I'm not anywhere near a familiar with S1, but I still find Audacity more intuitive when I need to manipulate things within a track. Again, that will probably change over time as I learn to use S1.