Timing

P

Pup

Thanks Don. That works for 1/8 note triplets but I can't get it to work for 1/4 note triplets.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The trick about counting quarter note triplets is that they happen over the span of 2 beats.

So in order to make that happen, you have to subdivide 2 beats into 3 pieces and play on every other one!

ONE - and - UH - two -AND - uh

It's not as hard if the tune is already swinging because you're already subdividing by 3. But if it's a straight feel tune and you need quarter note triplets that can be tough to hear.

If that's the case, try imaging the beat is only on 1 and 3 and subdivide that longer beat by 3. That may be easier. I've seen a lot of approaches for this but none of them are perfect I'm afraid.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  This little trick might work for you. You can count and play eighth note triplets, so use that. For quarter note trips count the same way but only play on these highlighted counts:
[glow=yellow,2,300]One[/glow] and [glow=yellow,2,300]a[/glow] Two [glow=yellow,2,300]and[/glow] a [glow=yellow,2,300]Three[/glow] and [glow=yellow,2,300]a[/glow] Four [glow=yellow,2,300]and[/glow] a
  It might feel awkward at first, but keep with it until it clicks.

P

Pup

Thanks Griff and jon3b. I think I got it now. MikeS really had me confused. "One and a" wasn't working.