Time to use some common sense...

sloslunas

NM Blues
I have never been accused of having common sense, but times have changed. We are in a very serious time of crisis. The very worst case scenario is to let fear and panic drive our decisions. If that becomes the case we are doomed. It seems to me that our elected officials are only concerned about their own political futures, and fortunes. My wife is Hispanic, her father was a state senator and my mother-in law was one that would shoot from the hip and never ever held her feelings in check. One of my favorite lines that she would blurt out to anyone that she felt was a complete moron was this...he is nothing but "masa con dos ojos". Translated that means "he is nothing more than a piece of dough with two eyes". That being said, be aware of false idols that claim to be looking after your well being. In the world as we know it, that is not the case. Please use the common sense that was given to you, and help all of those that you can during this crisis...

Steve

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
Yeah, I'm deeply trouble by how many politicians are more concerned with how they can leverage this for the upcoming elections than they are with addressing the problem.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
At this point i would feel slightly better about things if i was convinced there is some planning going on past the next 2 weeks.

Short term reactions need followup with a 3 month plan a 6 month plan and a 2 year plan seems like.

Nobody in the medical profession wants to advocate rolling out an unproven vaccine as there are obvious and potentially catastrophic dangers ... but dang we are already in trouble.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
At this point i would feel slightly better about things if i was convinced there is some planning going on past the next 2 weeks.

Short term reactions need followup with a 3 month plan a 6 month plan and a 2 year plan seems like.

Nobody in the medical profession wants to advocate rolling out an unproven vaccine as there are obvious and potentially catastrophic dangers ... but dang we are already in trouble.
My thinking on those subjects:

Defining and concerning a specific period of "action": When it was announced that six Bay Area Counties were to immediately "Shelter In Place", for a period of 3 weeks, my first thought: At the end of three weeks, it will be extended as is "determined to be necessary". This could go on forever. :love:

Yes, the nation needs a plan, but do not expect the Federal Government to establish one. The name of the game is "every dog for himself"! :cry:

One must have patience, while not becoming a patient. o_O Making a vaccine available and stating it is to be used to eliminate or reduce the virus is not responsible. We have been told that this is a hoax, caused by the Democrats, the media, would go away by April, and the list goes on.

Should we be tested daily? The new test from Sunnyvale, California, which was just approved (yesterday) takes less than 45 minutes to give results, and not the present 4-6 day wait time. That will help.

Talk about stress! I have experienced a bit of stress during my lifetime, and remember many events while in the Air Force, were we went through 72 hour non stop action. At the end of the 72 hours, you got to rest. This event seems to have no end in sight or positive resolution. At least no one is shooting at me, but the unknown is more then frightening. :eek:

The governor of California expects 25 million Californians to be infected. We are constantly being given numbers while the "experts" tell us what to expect and what is occurring. Most important from the Media: "Stay tuned for the commercial"! :LOL:(y):Beer:

Tom

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
"... Most important from the Media: "Stay tuned for the commercial"!" :LOL:(y):Beer:

Tom

I think that's one of the reasons why it has taken so long for people to really take this seriously.

When the 9/11 attacks occurred, none of the networks would DARE to run a commercial spot for the first couple of days after it happened and that added gravitas and made it even more important.

But now, it's difficult to impart the same gravitas to this pandemic when a report of infections and death tolls is followed by a talking lizard or some nit telling us how our pizza can be delivered.

Capitalism is fine...
Until it becomes more important or more worthy of protection and nurturing than human beings.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Don't forget the $80B for Boeing.
Some call it a "stimulus", others call it a gift to make up for the money they lost with their 737 Max fiasco.

When I was in business for myself and I made a mistake, I had to fix it and eat the cost. But when you're "Too Big to Fail", the taxpayers take care of that for you.

Must be nice.

Oh and let's not forget the billions earmarked for the "Hotel and Hospitality" industry.

Gee...I wonder who benefits from that?

Well, some people own homes, some people own businesses, some people own whole towns and some people own Senators. It takes money to make money! ;)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I saw that too
John Prine is currently fighting for his life with the coronavirus.
I saw that too. he has already had one lung removed and survived 2 bouts with cancer---so the odds are slim. It don't look good.
On his last album he had a song "When I get to heaven"---maybe he saw it coming. In my own opinion he is greatest song writer of all time.
Hope he makes it through.

artyman

Fareham UK
Just read this from a Doctor in the NHS (UK)

Myself and my wife have got to go in to work in hospitals daily, to ensure that not only are our current patients dealt with, but that we are prepared for what is coming. That has meant back to back 70hr weeks for me and frankly, I've not got the mental capacity left to recall what the wife has done. We fall through the door at the end of each day, microwave something to eat and go to bed. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. I have underlying health conditions that put me at high risk. I have signed a waiver so that I can continue to support my teams and do my part to ensure there is a healthcare service for everyone that will need it. My teams, in due course, will be making decisions about who does and doesn't get life saving care. This is not scare mongering, it is fact.
2 weeks ago I sent home 80 staff with underlying health conditions who are at significant risk, to self isolate for 12 weeks. I'm sure most will appreciate the gravity of a decision like that in a healthcare setting. It is not taken lightly. But we may need them fit and well when we burn out.......

I'd add to that, in that I'm sure you're all aware that the creation of thousands of additional hospital beds, purchase of tens of thousands of ventilators, block purchasing of independent healthcare provider's facilities, mobilisation of the military to support NHS equipment and consumable deliveries, the cessation of all but extremely urgent elective surgery and financial support for those out of work, all at a cost of billions, should serve as writing on the wall, or indeed between the lines, that cannot escape you.

We are not front line, yet, but have enough links with those who currently are to know a bit more than the media spread around.

We have parents either significantly immunocompromised or living in a country where should they get sick, we will not see them before they die.

This week I have had nurses and surgeons in complete breakdown, as they have similarly high risk and highly dependent parents living with them. Can you appreciate the burden of potentially handing a loved one a death sentence?

Yet we return, each day, as do thousands of others, to make sure you and your loved ones will have access to care, not just for COVID related illness, but for urgent trauma too. Yes folks, people still do stupid things and still need treatment, COVID or not.

Tomorrow morning, myself and my teams will go in to work, along with thousands of others and risk our own health, mental and physical, to make sure the NHS continues to be able to look after society.

It isn't just about proximity to others, every surface you touch, if you have this, which doesn't always mean you're symptomatic, transfers risk to others and adds unnecessary pressure on an already stretched system. So too, do activities that increase the likelihood that you may end up in the back of an ambulance.

Have a care for those who will suffer the consequences of your decisions, through no fault of their own, in discharging what they see as their duty to society, in a time of need. And also those who serve behind cash registers, stack you supermarket shelves, take money for your fuel purchase and so on..........
Stay home. Save lives.

----------------------------------------
It's not just those in the high at risk category, anyone in any category should take it seriously, this is not a game! We are basically on a war footing, the problem is we can't see the enemy, so the only answer is to avoid contact with anyone or anything outside the home, as they present a risk. Yes it's hard, yes it's inconvenient, and yes it's boring, but if everyone adhered to this mindset it can significantly reduce if not eliminate infection, and the sooner everyone grasps that, the sooner we can all get back to normal.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I had not read that yet----very good news----I am going to put one my favorite Prine songs on here ---hopefully tomorrow.

Artman: very good read;---well written. 2 weeks ago today we had 0 cases in my county-----today we have 12----origin "Emery Riddle airnautical University" students- a school for over privledged (sorry don't know how to spell that word) rich kids that want to be pilots----also the same school that rented "Virtual Flight Training" class" to 3 of the world trade bombers.-Guess what SPRING BREAK was 3 weeks ago. We do have another place to go with "0" cases reported so far. Headed out of here. Again good read.:thumbup: