Thumb Picks

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
Ok I have bought a National Thumb pick Large size. I bought this because I also got Griff's Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed. This is a Playing on the porch style I play just by myself outside in the summer. Griff made a suggestion to play thumb pick so tried several thumb picks. I played up to Down to the station with a thumb pick and have done ok. Just on the slow version right now. So going all the way though I should be able to put on a Johnny Winter record and play along. Johnny Winter I have listened to since 1974 and First time I saw him in concert was around 1980. Many other times. I have listened to other blues guitarist but most just play finger style no picks. So I have been doing that on a few times while looking for the best Thumb Pick. Blues Guitar courses by Griff Hamlin are all pretty good. So I have a lot of stuff to go through.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I occasionally use a thumb pick. Seems it can free up a finger or two for hybrid picking.

It may take a few tries to find the right size and shape and feel. When searching for the best thumb pick, I think it is worth a visit to Fred Kelley
Home (fredkellypicks.com) - I like the speed picks
and Black Mountain
Thumb Pick| Black Mountain – Black Mountain Picks
I also have used Alaska piks on my fingers, but they might make a good thumb pick as well.
Alaska Pik TM | Finger Pik Strings | Flat Pik | Piks Strings | Finger Piking

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I started guitar playing with my fingers, mostly a 3 finger style. I'm a Johnny Winter fan, thought a thumbpick was a logical progression but could never get comfortable with one. Upstrokes never worked out. I thought fingerstyle would help me play banjo, I was wrong about that, too. Only in the last couple years have I been predominantly using regular picks. Might be time to revisit those thumb picks. I really like the tone of bare skin on the strings, and the ability to snap and pop them.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Well, we all have our Hangups! Perhaps I was ruined by teachers like Andres Segovia, and so many others. After nearly 60 years of guitar playing, I cannot use a thumb pick! I have many different thumb picks, and have tried to use them for years. They are not for me. Everyone is different.

I like the feel or the strings be they nylon or steel.

How you pick a guitar will in many ways determine the style you play. Attempt to be content with your personal limitations. :)

Tom

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
Some pictures of thumb picks. The large National thumb pick I like fits thumb nice not tight at all stays in place when playing. The black mountain pick is nice but fits closer to the end of thumb can hold it with index finger so good one. The Medium National thumb pick is tight and can only play for about 30 minutes then stop in pain Large National no pain after an hour. The others the plectrum sticks out farther and for me makes it harder to play mostly.

Attachments

• Resized95Resized952021122495123658.jpg
    Resized95Resized952021122495123658.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Resized952022022795104242.jpg
    Resized952022022795104242.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Resized952022022795104544.jpg
    Resized952022022795104544.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized952022022795104939.jpg
    Resized952022022795104939.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized952022022795105558.jpg
    Resized952022022795105558.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 4

Silicon Valley Tom

Katy and I have known Tommy Emmanuel for many years, and he has advice on the use of a thumb pick. I have to admit that I still cannot and will not attempt to use one, after trying many times. But we are all different. :)

By the way, may I add that Tommy is an outstanding guitarist, as well as an outstanding person! When he sees us, he always remembers that Katy (Enriqueta) is from Peru.

Tom

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

I remember the first time we met Tommy. He just flew in from Poland, to perform in San Francisco. The next day he was off to Japan. What a schedule! It is a good think that there is only one world. If we had more than one, I am sure that Tommy would be traveling to each one!

Tom

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
Wow! Sometimes out of the blue a thought someone has just lands perfectly

this is from the video silicon valley tom posted

Tommy, "Its not music yet. This is learning skills. When you practice the skill enough it magically becomes music. You cant have music before the skill."

I have been working on Griffs new course RFFBL and man did that really hit home for me. Thanks so much for puting that video up SV Tom

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I've been playing around with the Black Mountain, spring loaded thumb picks... and having some limited success. Thing is I don't do much of that kind of playing so it's just easier to use a standard pick for what I do. I'll try to use it more when I start dealing with some fingerstyle stuff.

KevinLewis197

Upper Left USA
Katy and I have known Tommy Emmanuel for many years, and he has advice on the use of a thumb pick. I have to admit that I still cannot and will not attempt to use one, after trying many times. But we are all different. :)

By the way, may I add that Tommy is an outstanding guitarist, as well as an outstanding person! When he sees us, he always remembers that Katy (Enriqueta) is from Peru.

Tom
Thanks Tom - had to go to youtube to watch Tommy but then got into the next video in line from him too - lol - he seems like a true gentlemen!

KevinLewis197

Upper Left USA
loved the song - first heard it in the show the sting - that was a fantastic version IMO I think Tommy was a little over the top during it tho - LoL

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Well, we all have our Hangups! Perhaps I was ruined by teachers like Andres Segovia, and so many others. After nearly 60 years of guitar playing, I cannot use a thumb pick! I have many different thumb picks, and have tried to use them for years. They are not for me. Everyone is different.

I like the feel or the strings be they nylon or steel.

How you pick a guitar will in many ways determine the style you play. Attempt to be content with your personal limitations. :)

Tom
Tom, when you play lap steel, do you use a thumb pick. I have never tried to play steel/dobro without one.

What is your take on it?

The picks (thumb - fingers) I have at this time are not the most comfortable I have used. Any suggestions or a good source. I plan to get back to playing dobro if I can get better picks.