Throw this one to the lions

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Aw what the hell. There are a bunch of guys here with some real fortitude, submitting their Challenge recordings for public scrutiny. I plead insanity.

Anyhow, here's mine. My bends suck, but I have an excuse (maybe). I have sufficiently loosened the callus on my ring finger to the point where my finger is bleeding under the callus and that mother hurts. Funny thing is, after about 15 minutes of playing it gets really ugly, but it stops hurting. It also feels like I'm using jello to bend a string.

Other than that, I think I covered most of the bases. I used solo#1 from 5EBS because I'm out of whiskey and only have light beer in the fridge. Unfortunately, solo#1 in G and the backing track is too, so the transposing part took a little head scratching.

I give you Disasterpiece Theatre
(Twice as long. Half the fun!)

P.S. Now that I'm a moderator, I have to say fortitude and not balls.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Ouch! NO, not the solo...your fingers! Man, every time you hit a bend - it hurt!
Really nice job on the challenge!

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
That was very nice clean playing Papa! I enjoyed it. Changing it up after 12 bars was really cool.
Oh...if your bad finger hurts less after playing, you are insane. Sorry to tell you now that you have
attained the status of Moderator! Now you can relate better to the rest of us underlings.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
You have a well developed sense of decorum Lloyd.

Oh, I like your playing too!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks gentlemen, for the kind words. If this callus doesn't come off, it looks like I will have a super callus on my ring finger in a few days.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Nicely done! the key change brought a smile!
Yeah, the bends are well... the bends are... uh...
Hey how's the weather down there?

Ivan

Blues Newbie
I listened to this in the Lab and I'll say the same thing here. Thst was awesome. Twice I expected an ending and twice you jacked it up to another level.

Great job!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Yeah, the bends are well... the bends are... uh...

I was cringing while playing them... not because it hurt, which it did, but because I like to think I can normally get a lot closer. Not surprisingly, they were a lot less painful on playback!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Speaking of super, they say Stevie Ray used to glue his back on with super glue!
I've used super glue to temporarily seal cuts on finger tips so I can practice. This callus looks like it's going to stay put. Overnight it became much less ugly and it hasn't been hurting today. I guess I'll see tonight when I get home and start bending strings again. If I wasn't playing guitar, I would just stick a band-aid on it until it decides what it wants to do.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks!
If I had a long term injury I'd certainly look at those. I wonder if those are like the one tony Iommi uses. Wikipedia says at first, he made his own from melting plastic bottles. This is now just a minor inconvenience, no worse than the first couple weeks of playing guitar, when you have really soft fingertips. In a few days, even that will be gone.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
He could have picked a cooler performer to compare you too. I'm sorry Lud aka Barry.

See you down the road! :thumbup: