This song writing stuff is hard!

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I finally decided that I need to stop procrastinating and that I want to write an original song. I have a pretty specific idea in my head, but it doesn't include the melody or the lyrics.
I started with a drum beat ( something I think of as New Orleans style although I don't even know if that's the case). Then a chord progression came pretty naturally on that beat, because I sort of could hear the bass line in my head, so I also have a draft for the bass line.

But that doesn't a song make!

Not sure how to come up with a melody. Do I just keep noodling? I tried a few things but I somehow got stuck in hearing and coming back to something that is awfully like the melody to St James' Infirmary so I had to stop.

How do you go about it? Write words first?

I'm even more stuck with that, I think I need to decide on what "story" I want the song to tell?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've written 60 or 70 songs.
I never claim they are great but they are songs.
My process for each has been different.

My reco is to you is to decide what message or story you want to tell with the song.
Is it upbeat, is it sad, maybe it's about an experience?
Play the rhythm and get in the groove to see what speaks to you.
If you can develop a general theme and then try to tell a story perhaps inspiration will develop.
Yes..some times noodling will help develop melody.

Looking forward to hearing what developed!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've never written a song so please take this suggestion with a grain of salt.
If it's not a Blues song, I'd try noodling a bit with modes.
I seemed to be able to find some nice melodies using them.

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
I've written a number of songs, what works for me is...

I normally have the music somewhat sorted out first, I play the heck out of it so I'm on autopilot, and then I mess about with different ways to sing the words. I try to do things I would never do in public to see what might happen.

When I have the words first it works the same way but then I hum and sing the first verse or the chorus when I'm driving or working on other non music project. Generally something will come of that. never force, go with the flow and what feels natural.

When I'm really stuck, I'll go to my notebook and look for inspiration there.

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
I've written a several blues songs. To me no big money makers (but I don't play for the money). The last one I played to the band, my bass player had thought that it was real. The one line that got to him was, "had 8 little children". He looked over at me and I had to stop and tell him that it was fictional. I should finish it. Nice little blues tune in 12/8.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Funny thing is that I am not a creative person at all. For some unknown reason I find it much easier to write lyrics than play the guitar. Go figure...

Steve

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
kinda of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" type of question...just saying...:rolleyes:...later.

cowboy

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I know what ya mean there. I find writing the words 1st usually leaves me in very simple 3 chord arrangements and are usually slower songs that have something to say---but if I am sitting goofing around with different grooves drum beats/bass lines, the words just pop up and a lot more up-beat and more fun to play. But either way I go I usually have to do a lot of editing/changes/practice, to reach the final. Ocassionaly, but not to often a 1st timer works.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I write the lyrics first.
I used to belong to the Arizona Song Writer's association back in the mid-late 80's.
I had a Fostex 8-track simul-synch recorder that recorded on double-speed cassette. You could mix any number of tracks and put that mix on one track, freeing up other tracks, and so-on.
Here are a couple from back then ... just me and my old Les Paul Custom, a 3/4 sized SG bass and my old D18, mostly straight in, no amp. The only pedal I had was an old delay pedal. If I remember right, I think it took me about a week on each one.

It Hurts to Think I'm Stupid

We Built It All

The association had monthly sessions where members would bring in their recordings for review / critique. There was always a record company producer there doing the reviews and critiques. And they could be brutal. Most of them said that they listen to 80 to 100 submissions every day, and that if the first 8 or 10 bars don't grab them, it is turned off and rejected. No hook, no listen.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I have ten in the works right now............I think I do it backwards, some words come into my head, so I go with that. For some reason, as I sing the words, I hear the guitar part in the background, so I write that. Should have a few to post in a few weeks

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Don't know if this will help but here's a video Mary Spender put up yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDzdWIek6xM
I could relate to that vid..
I could absolutely relate to the idea that song ideas , if not captured, just fall away to be lost forever.
I've got about 40 song ideas recorded on my phone in voice memos.

At this point, I've written almost 100 songs.
I never claim they are great but, some aren't too bad.
My process is always different.
Sometimes I start with a lyrical story, sometimes a musical hook or just a chord progression.

The last one I completed is called "Daddy Was " and the inspiration for that was an old family picture I found.
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/daddy-was-an-original.22290/

I just started a new song yesterday because I accidentally hit a strange chord and I liked the sound of it.
I found a few more chords that seemed to fit well and that gave me general mood for the song.
I was looking out my window at the snow so, here's what I think will be the opening line:

"Frozen crystals fill the air , as I look out my window near my favorite chair"

I'll post it If I finish it.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks Guys,
When my fan base exceeds the capacity of one sofa I'll know I made it.
Please don't get up off the couch....I'll have a hard time re-filling your seats.