This Nails It for Me!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I can't tell you how much I agree and Identify with everything Rhett has to say in this video.
This is me to a "T", right down to the ADHD (which I've dealt with all my life) and I could have written this myself!
This video is not for everyone but many things said in it are spot on and may work for some people and especially what he says towards the end

Give it a shot and see what you think.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Nah, I'm the opposite in a lotta ways. I don't hate practicing, usually. From my school days, I'm used to following schedules and working on them to improve skills. If you play enough, you can learn without knowing scales and theory and a lot of old timers don't need any of that stuff. But people with that knowledge of theory will generally have a big start on the population. I 100% agree on the importance of recording yourself every day. I've got songs in the daw with guitar parts recorded over a hundred time over many months and it's illuminating to check out how things have progressed. Also, I use drum tracks instead of a click, almost always. And I rarely spend a day without touching a guitar.
To each his own.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Nah, I'm the opposite in a lotta ways. I don't hate practicing, usually. From my school days, I'm used to following schedules and working on them to improve skills. If you play enough, you can learn without knowing scales and theory and a lot of old timers don't need any of that stuff. But people with that knowledge of theory will generally have a big start on the population. I 100% agree on the importance of recording yourself every day. I've got songs in the daw with guitar parts recorded over a hundred time over many months and it's illuminating to check out how things have progressed. Also, I use drum tracks instead of a click, almost always. And I rarely spend a day without touching a guitar.
To each his own.

I agree about recording yourself (I think that's pretty much universal) but like Rhett, I often go for days without touching a guitar and the weird thing is that when I do sit down to play I always play better than the last time.

You know, David Gilmour said that his best solos usually happened on the first take and I understand why. It's because both the track and his body and mind are fresh and so there's no preconceived idea of how something should sound.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've always been a terrible student.
Going back to the earliest days in grade school, my teachers would try to beat things into me and that never worked.

My opinion is, everyone has a learning modality.
Some need structure, others need improvisation and inspiration.

I agree with the importance of recording.
This is one reason I’m a big fan of loopers, it’s the easiest self-recording tool available.
Here In BGU, aside from posting your lessons, participation in the VJR (virtual jam room) is a fantastic way to expand your skills.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I think I recognize as one of Rick Beato's sidekicks. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Interesting take on differemt approaches to learning

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I am so totally opposite this guy I could not make it past the first 90 secs.

Everyones different I guess ...

I practice a lot a lot it just takes me tons and tons of repetitions to get any better.

Jack

Blues Junior
Fits me to a tee as well :) I've lost interest in guitar more than a few times over the years, so staying motivated is my #1 goal, and what motivates me most is learning my favorite songs. It always takes me outside my comfort zone because all these guitarists I'm trying to imitate have vastly different styles, technique, etc.

Elwood

Blues
Here In BGU, aside from posting your lessons, participation in the VJR (virtual jam room) is a fantastic way to expand your skills.
Here here Moto!!! I would humbly add that challenging yourself to participate in the monthly challenges down in the OMR area is another opportunity to grow, show what you know, and have a great time doing it. It's always fun to see how many ways folks find to skin that cat. :Beer::Beer::Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
John,
My take on this is, it's not whether you practice, It's how you pracatice.

Agreed.

I learned that long ago playing golf.
Two things I always tried to do when I went to a driving range:

1. Practice something specific and useful instead of mindlessly hitting golf balls until the bucket is empty.
2. When I'm done, I'm done. When I reach a point where I feel as if I've accomplished what I set out to do, I STOP and walk away even if it means leaving some golf balls behind.

The same thing applies to guitar.
1. I play (practice) something I specifically want to improve.
Take speed for example, whatever I play has to challenge me to play up to speed. Whether it's a slow tune over which I want to play in 16ths or even 32nds, or a fast tune where I have to reach a certain speed in order to keep up, either way I play to accommodate my goal. It doesn't necessarily have to be musical at the outset and may simply involve working on timing, fingering, etc. and the musical part can come later. But the idea is to focus on something specific.

2. I play for as long as I'm in the zone and once that zone disappears (I visualize that as a bubble popping), then it's time to stop and do something else because just as with hitting golf balls, if I keep going and my mind isn't into it then I won't enjoy it anymore and it will likely produce poor results and bad memories. And the last thing I want when leaving a practice session is a bad memory because it tends to overpower any good things I did earlier and leaves me feeling disappointed.

Whether I practice for an hour or longer or for just ten minutes, I want to walk away feeling as if I've accomplished something and feeling good about myself rather than just mindlessly "woodshedding" for hours on end or forcing myself to work on something in which I have little desire or interest at the moment.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
@JPsuff do you still play golf (go to driving range) or like so many, have reached a point where poor eyesight inhibits pleasure on the golf course?
I haven't played in several years. At one point I (weather permitting) walked 9 holes after work up to 4 times. Then that routine was shortened to once and ocassionally twice a week. That was during the time I had a weekday off and sometimes played golf on the weekend with the wife.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
@JPsuff do you still play golf (go to driving range) or like so many, have reached a point where poor eyesight inhibits pleasure on the golf course?
I haven't played in several years. At one point I (weather permitting) walked 9 holes after work up to 4 times. Then that routine was shortened to once and ocassionally twice a week. That was during the time I had a weekday off and sometimes played golf on the weekend with the wife.
I haven't played a serious round of golf in years. It was work, it was physical issues -- basically, life got in the way.
That plus the fact that I really love the game and not being able to fully commit to it made for a "Why bother?" attitude. There was a time I played to a 2 hdcp. and back then there wasn't a day that went by without hitting a golf ball and I know I can't put that kind of effort into it anymore and so I just stayed away from it.

But I've made peace with that over the years and this year I'd like to try to play somewhat regularly. I know I'll never have the game I used to have but that shouldn't mean I can't enjoy playing anyway.

We'll see...

artyman

Fareham UK
Similar thing with me and competetive sailing, it was getting hard to stay in the top three at Championship level, so I moved on. I still get the urge when I see it on TV etc but know the old body couldn't do it and I would find it frustrating.