This is what I'm submitting for Griff's BGULabs Challenge

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
looking and sounding good there Mike. Nice surprise melody in there too... Well done!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
great stuff mike? may i ask how you recorded the audio

I have my pedals set up in front of a Behringer Uphoria UMC202HD USB interface to my computer.
I had the track playing on my computer (In Audacity, but that really doesn't matter)
All the sounds came from my desktop speakers and I just turned my phone's selfie camera on (Audio and video recorded at the same time).
Nothing fancy.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I just realized that I didn't list where the licks came from.
I pulled them all from The Blues Solo Construction Kit-Shuffle style

Lick1 - Position 1 Joe Bonamassa
Lick2 - Position 2 Robben Ford
Lick3 - Position 3 Freddie King
Lick4 - Position 4 Freddie King
Lick5 - Position 5 BB King

Star Wars
Lick4 - Position 4 Freddie King
Lick5 - Position 5 BB King

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Nice Mike! You sounded in charge throughout.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Don't make me work in the Mos Eisley cantina music in my submission!
That was cool, I'm going to have to practice that and throw it in a gig sometime.

Now, I really need to get off my butt and work on the challenge. This past week has been spent with the family rather than doing "homework"

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I "planned it out" last week (Decided which licks I'd use), but the licks in it are all pretty easy so I started learning them one by one and adding to them over several hours and by the end of the day I was close enough to record it.
The hardest part was getting over the red light fever.
I'd nail it while practicing, then turn on the recorder and BAM! it turned to a stinking pile of... well, you know what.

BTW, I slowed down the audio by 10%, so I kinda cheated.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
oh right you didnt wing it then? you wrote down what you were going to play or at least worked it out

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
oh right you didnt wing it then? you wrote down what you were going to play or at least worked it out

Yes. Absolutely. I looked at the BSCK manual, decided which licks I wanted to use for each "position", then I entered them in order into GuitarPro6 (using GP6 transpose tool as needed)

The goal is to some day have these licks so well in had that I can put them out as needed.
For now I have to "build" a solo, then learn it then play it.

My spontaneous noodling just sounds like scales to me.

\What I'll probably try to do is noodle scales, but intersperse licks from solos I've built in one or two places, then as time goes on add more licks so that it will be come more lick driven than scale driven. (And when I eventually get lost as I sometimes do, I can fall back on the scales, which hopefully will lead me back to a lick).

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
(And when I eventually get lost as I sometimes do, I can fall back on the scales, which hopefully will lead me back to a lick).

If you know one solo cold, which you do, you really have an out that's better than random scales.

When improvising and floundering, wait for the next chord change and swap in your "emergency" solo at that point. That will get you through the rest of the progression relatively safely.