This is supposed to get easier, right???

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
Wakeboarder......it does get easier and you often don't realise you are getting better, in fact just the opposite. Even if you don't actually hit a wall it's a very steep climb.  If all the arithmetic quoted hasn't got you bricking it do keep at it and the point about recording yourself is spot on.  When I learned keyboard about 5 years ago it would take me a week to master a song including learning the new chords.  I would learn one song a week.  Now I go back and even if I can't sight read it at full speed I can play it again after about 5 minutes.  The other point is you are always improving.  I still have piano lessons and piano is completely different to keyboard.  I really struggle with things like Chopin and it can take me four weeks to learn a new piece, but if I record it and then go back to it after I have learned another 4 or 5 pieces it seems easy because all that struggling is not only learning a piece but developing your technique and muscle memory.

Take hear buddy  :cool:

SeattleSlim

Blues Newbie
Much good advise and comments.

The truth for me is that a lot about learning to play is frustrating, time consuming, physically uncomfortable, and not easily comprehended. Yet, I accept those things because the pleasure of making music is even a greater reward. And here is another pearl of wisdom --- no one is ever satisfied with their level relative mastery. There is always the next thing to learn.

If you can stick with it for another 6 months to a year you will see all sorts of horizons open before you.

L

Lame_Pinkey

Much good advise and comments.

The truth for me is that a lot about learning to play is frustrating, time consuming, physically uncomfortable, and not easily comprehended. Yet, I accept those things because the pleasure of making music is even a greater reward. And here is another pearl of wisdom --- no one is ever satisfied with their level relative mastery. There is always the next thing to learn.

[glow=yellow,2,300]If you can stick with it for another 6 months to a year you will see all sorts of horizons open before you[/glow].
I don't think  truer words have been uttered on this forum until now now , well said Wally !
It can be easy to "give it all away" because things don't seem to be coming together as The Beatles once sang. How many of us would now be kicking ourselves if we had given it away instead og forging ahead ? Even if you get in 30 mins aday (10 here 10 there 10 somewhere else) in 6 months to 12 months you will be noticing that you are now capapble of at least trying newer & better - and more difficult pieces . This in itself means you have progressed, remember its not a race but if it was "Slow and Steady wins that race" ok  ;)

LP