This Guy Tells It Straight

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I got a kick out of this one!
The guys got a point. And it pertains to more than just recording gear.

Oddly enough, I am now trying to follow what he says when it comes to recording. I've got a good DAW, a mixer, a couple of different interfaces for my guitar, and a couple of decent mics for vocals or amps. I've got a buddy that is a local sound engineer, and he was by a couple of weeks ago and commented that I have a better setup at home than he does. Now I've just got to learn to use it all.

For guitars and amps and pedals though, that next piece of kit is half the fun. :ROFLMAO::whistle:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
The guys got a point. And it pertains to more than just recording gear.

Oddly enough, I am now trying to follow what he says when it comes to recording. I've got a good DAW, a mixer, a couple of different interfaces for my guitar, and a couple of decent mics for vocals or amps. I've got a buddy that is a local sound engineer, and he was by a couple of weeks ago and commented that I have a better setup at home than he does. Now I've just got to learn to use it all.

For guitars and amps and pedals though, that next piece of kit is half the fun. :ROFLMAO::whistle:
I think we all can relate to that

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have to admit, I didn't watch the entire video, but I tend to agree with the title. You can crank out some mighty fine sounding recordings with pretty basic equipment. I have way more gear than I need for a home studio. Just about everything I've recorded has used my Eleven Rack as both the recording and playback interface. I've added gear to lend a more convenient workflow to my recording process, but almost nothing was added with the thought of actually making better sounding recordings... just making the process a little easier.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I made a decision to avoid the all in one fix it plugins. You know, the ones that automatically fit your vocal/bass/whatever better in the mix. I know these can work great and can improve your mixes, but I decided I didn't want these shortcuts. I'm trying to learn how to do it just using basic mixing tools like comp, eq, delay, etc. I'm more interested in building my knowledge of the basic tools, than doing whatever it takes to get better mixes. Pro friends have suggested these specialized tools, but I'm resisting, trying to improve my ear instead. I stick with almost all stock plugins, but maybe also because I'm cheap.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I stick with almost all stock plugins, but maybe also because I'm cheap.
I've grabbed a few freebies and some "on sale" packages, but I find myself using a basic toolkit of Studio One Plug-Ins... and I mean basic.
I use the Ampire amp sim package and I did pop for the Expansion pack that adds a couple more "metal" amps and a handful of pedals, but most of the time, I'm using the Marshall amp, the Twin Reverb and for a nastier sound or the Gazoline amp sims. I also use the SVT amp a lot when I'm tracking bass, but I've found I like the Twin Reverb for bass as well. I usually use the matching speaker sims. Pedals are pretty sparse, with the Delay pedal, Tube Screamer and Rat sims being the ones I use most.
I use the Compressor, Pro EQ, Analog Delay, Room Reverb and that's about it. I have never used most of the plug-ins in S1 and probably couldn't even tell you what they do.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
I've grabbed a few freebies and some "on sale" packages, but I find myself using a basic toolkit of Studio One Plug-Ins... and I mean basic.
I use the Ampire amp sim package and I did pop for the Expansion pack that adds a couple more "metal" amps and a handful of pedals, but most of the time, I'm using the Marshall amp, the Twin Reverb and for a nastier sound or the Gazoline amp sims. I also use the SVT amp a lot when I'm tracking bass, but I've found I like the Twin Reverb for bass as well. I usually use the matching speaker sims. Pedals are pretty sparse, with the Delay pedal, Tube Screamer and Rat sims being the ones I use most.
I use the Compressor, Pro EQ, Analog Delay, Room Reverb and that's about it. I have never used most of the plug-ins in S1 and probably couldn't even tell you what they do.

It’s interesting; the Production Expert site recently hosted a survey where a Grammy winning record mixer mixed a song entirely ITB with stock plugins and then again using “premium” plugins.

Only 50% of those respondents correctly identified the mix using “premium” plugs, and only 57% preferred the mix using the “premium” plugs.

Oh hell, I’m guilty of grabbing plugs when they go on sale, especially those from PA. I tend to grab a $200+ plug when they go on sale for $49.99.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
It’s interesting; the Production Expert site recently hosted a survey where a Grammy winning record mixer mixed a song entirely ITB with stock plugins and then again using “premium” plugins.

Only 50% of those respondents correctly identified the mix using “premium” plugs, and only 57% preferred the mix using the “premium” plugs.

Oh hell, I’m guilty of grabbing plugs when they go on sale, especially those from PA. I tend to grab a $200+ plug when they go on sale for $49.99.
I bought the isotope light version package for the $49.99

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Plugins for mixing are like pedals for guitar tone.

Seems like we're all chasing that magical item that will give us what we are seeking.

The problem is most of us don't know what it is we want so, it's a never ending pursuit.