The physical aspects of playing guitar.

dwparker

Bluesologist
A session on the physical aspects of playing, such as posture, stretching hands, forearms, wrists, avoiding/treating pain or tendonitis. Also building strength for bends, how to increase the ability to stretch your fingers over multiple frets. Maybe considerations on how long to practice before taking breaks, warm ups to ensure one is physically ready to play, is any sort of cool down or after practice stretching helpful. This sort of thing.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I don't do any of those things, I just play.

I don't mean to sound trite but I've always believed that the best way to condition myself to do something physical is to just do whatever that may be and eventually the conditioning and stamina follows.

For example, if I want to get good at hitting a golf ball with a 2-iron, the only way I will ever condition myself to do that is to go to a driving range and hit a bucket of balls with a 2-iron. There are no drills or exercises that will prepare me for that.

Same thing with guitar.
For example when I started playing modes and realized that I was going to be using my pinkie finger much more regularly, I just played and used that finger and eventually I gained the strength and dexterity in it to the point where now I can even bend with it and use it for vibrato.

Some things get better/stronger/more dexterous faster than others but over time it all starts to gel. Some things (like using the pinkie or stretching across many frets) need to be done slowly at first but eventually speed and accuracy comes.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to play as wide a variety of styles as you can and at a wide variety of speeds to prevent getting locked in to comfort zones.

Just start at a level at which you're comfortable and go from there. Always push yourself to go a bit beyond what you're capable of but not so much that you get frustrated. After a while not only will your strength and stamina improve, but your overall playing will as well because along the way you will realize there are things you can do that you never thought you could.

Also, use a guitar strap even if you're sitting. It makes a world of difference because in addition to all of the other things you're trying to do, you won't have to balance and hold on to the guitar as well.

And most importantly, have fun!

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I actually do some of that stuff. I go through RA attacks, mostly being controlled with cortisone shots, but it's spreading. I enjoy playing standing up, but that is getting harder. So, I spend 15 minutes before playing doing certain things, plus while relaxing, I use a heating pad over my hands to start, then

I stretch all my fingers
Stretch my back,
Stretch the neck side to side
Shoulders, wrists etc etc

Spider exercise to warm up, then re-stretch the fingers, it's what works for me.

After that, to learn something new, I do what I believe (If memory serves) from @Griff where he talked about the difference between a shorter focused practice vs just kind of playing practice. So I do 15 minutes of heavy focus to learn something new............then I either work on songs, or do a more relaxed run through of other things, which for me is usually writing songs

But, I do me, you gotta decide what works for you

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
As a long term formerly competitive long distance runner racer yes warmups stretching breaks posture are all incredibly important.

Do i pay much attention to stuff like that for guitar?

I should … i do have warmup drills … dont do them as much as i used to.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
He has covered may of the thing you mentioned, but only a few here and there within one lesson. (Beginning Blues Guitar??)
Some things are going to be "Do what works for you", but others like finger exercises are in courses like Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
As a long term formerly competitive long distance runner racer yes warmups stretching breaks posture are all incredibly important.

Do i pay much attention to stuff like that for guitar?

I should … i do have warmup drills … dont do them as much as i used to.
I don't think people realize the similarity there. Yeah, running you can cause some serious damage, but people look at guitar as, what could go wrong.

A friend of mine went to GIT, he said in the first 2 1/2 weeks, multiple people had to seek medical care due to issues with the intensity of the course

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I was taught to first learn the guitar techniques necessary to play the music of interest. Spending five minutes doing warmups is my norm. I have been following that routine for 70 years. When I took up flamenco guitar, my teacher spent the first nine lessons (nine weeks) on technique. I am so glad that she did! All her other students quit - they wanted to learn how to play flamenco guitar, not do exercises! Well, those exercises really paid off!

Even with the Blues, there are several different approaches to the guitar depending upon what flavor of the Blues you play.

To me, it is imperative to learn how to sit or stand (as the case may) while holding the guitar. You must also know how to hold the instrument, and the best position of the hands. Your goal is to play the instrument while attempting to avoid injury.

Perhaps due to luck or following the instructions of my teachers, I have had no physical problems playing guitar.

Tom

Last edited:

dwparker

Bluesologist
He has covered may of the thing you mentioned, but only a few here and there within one lesson. (Beginning Blues Guitar??)
Some things are going to be "Do what works for you", but others like finger exercises are in courses like Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery.
Exactly. I would like a session with all of this presented at once.

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
Some people just play, others go thru certain routines- however what ever it take to get the sounds you what, go for it.

For myself - if I know I get to practice or play for an hour or two I stretch my back and legs and arms, fingers and such.

I can't play very well sitting down anymore since my arm surgery a few years back, but I play standing up which sometimes includes a bit of dancing while I play.

it's all good - I don't fall off stages anymore - but then again, I haven't been on a stage in over 40 years - lol

Peace

ronico

rainyislandblues
Some people just play, others go thru certain routines- however what ever it take to get the sounds you what, go for it.

For myself - if I know I get to practice or play for an hour or two I stretch my back and legs and arms, fingers and such.

I can't play very well sitting down anymore since my arm surgery a few years back, but I play standing up which sometimes includes a bit of dancing while I play.

it's all good - I don't fall off stages anymore - but then again, I haven't been on a stage in over 40 years - lol

Peace
Vids svp Mickey!