The other side of Roy Clark of Hee Haw

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The other side of Roy Clark of the old Hee Haw comedy show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLIrYhk5P_Esy7ns0Foun7HPB5oEbHCUqw&feature=player_detailpage&v=lxDQQDF6j0Y

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
RR that is awesome. I have always liked Roy's playing but this is really cool. My big take away is to watch his fretting fingers. Absolutely no tension or chocking the neck...while strumming very fast and rhythmically.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
R.R; I can remember back in the 70s....HEE-HAW....had   "CLARENCE GATEMOUTH BROWN" on their show...ROY CLARK AND GATEMOUTH...started changing blues licks....and it was without a doubt one of the coolest things I ever seen on T.V...the real coinsedense; is I was just thinking about it a couple of days ago....Roy Clark could play any style...but never got his fare share of dues as a great guitar player... :) :) :) 

vashondan

Blues Doobie
I remember seeing that.  He was amazing.  Didn't Jerry somebody also show up on the show.  He was another picker who also played in movies.  He was pretty darn good tool

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I saw a show once on TV at Carnegie Hall in the 70's ... Roy Clark and Andre Segovia.  They sat in two chairs and just "traded licks" ... Segovia would play something and Roy Clark would match him.  Both were just incredibly amazing.  But at times Segovia looked like he was really working, and Roy Clark looked like he was playing tiddly winks the whole time.  I never forgot it.  I've looked and looked for that on Youtube but can never find it.

deejaid

Blues Junior
I remember seeing that.  He was amazing.  Didn't Jerry somebody also show up on the show.  He was another picker who also played in movies.  He was pretty darn good tool

Jerry Reed?  He was a great picker and had that fun good ol boy personality.  Here he is with the legendary Chet Atkins.

http://youtu.be/FBvhY4uqGDE

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

Jerry Reed?  He was a great picker and had that fun good ol boy personality.  Here he is with the legendary Chet Atkins.

There's some fine pickin' goin' on there, and yes Jerry Reed would have fit the Hee Haw thing to a "T".

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Jerry Reed I think.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
for me, Roy Clark was in the same camp as Chet Atkins....forget genre, the are just "Players"...no real need to say anything else...later.

cowboy

david moon

Attempting the Blues

Wow- just watched the clip. Both are amazing players, both were finger-picking with a thumb pick. Jerry was playing a nylon string guitar- it seemed to have a wire coming out of it so probably had a pickup of some kind.

They got Chet to sing, which he really wasn't comfortable with.

The show was "Pop goes the Country" from 1974, produced by Bill Graham ( of Fillmore fame?) That was the year I got married and still am.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
R.R; I can remember back in the 70s....HEE-HAW....had   "CLARENCE GATEMOUTH BROWN" on their show...ROY CLARK AND GATEMOUTH...started changing blues licks....and it was without a doubt one of the coolest things I ever seen on T.V...the real coinsedense; is I was just thinking about it a couple of days ago....Roy Clark could play any style...but never got his fare share of dues as a great guitar player... :) :) :) 

Back in the '70's my dad had an album by Roy Clark and Gatemouth Brown called Makin' Music. Surprising because he wasn't much of a Roy Clark guy, he was more of a Benny Goodman/Lionel Hampton kind of guy.

I never listened to the album back then but after my dad passed away I acquired his record collection. Mostly (very cool) older big band and jazz stuff. But when I saw the Makin' Music album and put it on the turntable (that big round thing that you put those big round black things on to play music...) I was quite blown away. Just awesome, terrific licks played by both gentlemen. I still have the album today and would recommend highly.

deejaid

Blues Junior
My grandfather is a good ole southern boy from Kentucky and I spent many Saturday nights watching Hee Haw with him.  I always loved when Roy Clark would come out with his guitar and play.  As I've gotten older I've really come to appreciate the guitar work of old country music.

Loved the busty blondes they had on all the time too. :D