The Most Popular Strum In The World

J

jdadlez

Hi guys,

I know 'The Most Popular Strum In The World' is used on 'Brown Eyed Girl' and 'Margaritaville'. I can hear it. I also know that you can use it on a lot of other songs to sing along with in an informal, just want to have fun, setting.

What I'd like is an actual list of some songs out there that it is officially used on. The reason I want a list is if I play an open mic night or want to build an inventory for an actual set list in a rock band.

I hope this isn't a stupid question or request. :eek:

P.S. Griff, this is really a great course.  :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I really think a better way to approach this is for you to listen to the songs that you like, then decide which strums that you are learning will work. That way you will begin training your ear to hear these strums.

It's the old "Teach a man to fish" thing. If someone hands you a list of songs and strum patterns (and I honestly have never see a list containing songs and the strum patterns that they use, so someone would have to create it for you), it would take you longer to hear them for yourself.

Bluesgrass

Blues Newbie
jdadlez.  I think Griff posted this video awhile ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

It probably doesn't answer your question totally.  It's more about chord progressions than strum patterns, but it's an interesting exercise and food for thought (what is borrowing and what is stealing?)

A

Alistair

jdadlez

yesterday I sent Griff an email message asking him if he could recommend any of his current list of Jam Tracks which could be used to get down the rhythm patterns from the Strumming course. As Griff and others say you need to be able to get the strumming in the 'Pocket' to be technically good.
My own view at the moment is that were I able to play along to Jam tracks then I could merrily spend many an hour just honing the rhythms using different chord voiceings to nail the changes.

I hear what others say about learning and using songs which you might like, but i would not want to sicken my self either.

The Jam Tracks, Strumming and BGU courses may not be compatible but Griff states time and again that even good lead guitarists need to be able to play good rhythm and keep good time.

I am therefore hoping that Griff will respond to this link with some suggestions for using his Jam Tracks with the Strumming lessons.  Ally

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The best approach I've found to find songs that will work with that strum pattern is to get a big list of songs first... "back in the day" that meant finding a piano/vocal/guitar (which meant nothing for the guitar but chords and words) book of songs and just going through every one seeing which ones that strum worked for.

Nowadays I suppose you could just go to ultimate-guitar.com or allchords.com or something and just browse through songs and see what songs are in a straight feel at a medium tempo... those are pretty much the ones that will work.

It would be impossible to have a complete list because there are so many. More importantly, with slight variation there are exponentially more.

I would get to the point that you can play through all of the exercises through the end of Chapter 4 and then do that exercise. That way you will have played some variations and you can let your ear start to take over a little.

Choose songs you recognize and be sure to sing along, or have someone else sing along, or play along with the original recordings. Otherwise it may be hard to follow.

A

Alistair

Hi Guys,
Having read Griff's reply my interpretation is that the Jam Tracks he sells will not be compatible with the Strumming and Rhythm Mastery course and therefore we take his advice and that of other forum members and find songs to play along with. Ally

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ally, I would not read too much into Griff's statement. He is giving you a "Free" way to do it, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find several of Griff's jam tracks that will work.
That said, as I think I mentioned earlier, trying to learn using songs that you already know and like will help because you already have a feel for the song.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hi Guys,
Having read Griff's reply my interpretation is that the Jam Tracks he sells will not be compatible with the Strumming and Rhythm Mastery course and therefore we take his advice and that of other forum members and find songs to play along with. Ally
It's not that they aren't compatible, but as Mike said I was trying to give you the free way to do it.

But also, strumming is not always the way to approach a blues. When playing with a band I don't ever really "strum" a song. It's just a different kind of thing.

You could strum along to the jam tracks I have, but I don't know that you would love the sound. Also, they are blues, so by and large they are going to be in swing feel and you should practice straight feel stuff as well.

What's really important is experience with many different songs in different styles so you can really get good practice with it.